Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times

Advertisements

Flying into GSP for Christmas is $465 a ticket and includes a layover in either Atlanta, Newark, or Cleveland.

Flying directly to Atlanta and driving an extra 45 minutes from the airport will cost $230 a ticket plus the cost of a cheap rental car.

Guess which one I booked?

I can't stand flying into Atlanta. It's over-crowded, dirty and the traffic out of there is horrendous. However, considering I usually have to go there anyway why would I add an extra leg to my trip and finish at Greenville? Getting a major low cost carrier like Southwest to come to GSP would be huge. It would force down the fares of Delta and UScareways and could position the airport as an alternative to Charlotte and Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 01:01 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
lol yeah, i don 't know what people call good flying but i've found a few great locations to fly from Greenville to... cheap rates

Indianapolis, IN
Newark, NJ
LaGaurdia in NYC

I don't have a clue why these places bring in such good deals but they do

Travelocity's farewatcher can help al ot

If you all know more cities that get good rates roundtrip out of Greenville, post them!

Got a good deal to Vegas $391 including tax and everything. Just pick a city and watch it via farecompare or check airlines. Last year we got a GREAT deal to California, less than $300 round trip. Flew into San Diego and out of San Francisco. Of course we are flexible and book a month or so before. I've gotten good deals from GSP to Providence, RI.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:05 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
I can fly to GSP from ST Pete-Clearwater (FL) for $39 each way- I guess I'm lucky.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Flying into GSP for Christmas is $465 a ticket and includes a layover in either Atlanta, Newark, or Cleveland.

Flying directly to Atlanta and driving an extra 45 minutes from the airport will cost $230 a ticket plus the cost of a cheap rental car.

Guess which one I booked?

I can't stand flying into Atlanta. It's over-crowded, dirty and the traffic out of there is horrendous. However, considering I usually have to go there anyway why would I add an extra leg to my trip and finish at Greenville? Getting a major low cost carrier like Southwest to come to GSP would be huge. It would force down the fares of Delta and UScareways and could position the airport as an alternative to Charlotte and Atlanta.
Why didn't you look into Charlotte? Yes, there are stops but it's just a cheap and you don't have to deal with driving up from Atlanta, especially Christmas time.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Why didn't you look into Charlotte? Yes, there are stops but it's just a cheap and you don't have to deal with driving up from Atlanta, especially Christmas time.
A personal helipad at Stumphouse Mtn. would be even more convenient, but I can only wish for so much.

Drive to Oconee County is two hours from Atlanta and three from Charlotte, so it's Atlanta for the win.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:44 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
I can fly to GSP from ST Pete-Clearwater (FL) for $39 each way- I guess I'm lucky.
wow really? Spirit sample fares or what? i don't think Spirit flys out of GSp but teach me

I like traveling to random places that look great ...

Old 10-31-2007, 05:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
^^Allegiant Airlines. How stupid are we getting in this country? Look on GSP's website for god sakes.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 22,630 times
I recently spoke to people in Denver (Lake Norman) and Hickory, who said it's sometimes less expensive to fly out of Greenville than Charlotte. Do you think they both may have meant to say Greensboro in lieu of Greenville??? It seems unlikely that two people would make the same mistake...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,501 times
Have any of you e-mailed Southwest about coming to GSP? My in-laws did and actually received a response. Maybe if they received a bunch of e-mails from interested parties, they would look more closely at this area.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:47 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I had never been to Greenville until yesterday. My delta flt from Providence to Atlanta was diverted there because it ran low of fuel over Atlanta. Seemed odd to me we already flew over So Carolina to get to Atlanta now we fly back to So Carolina to land to refuel. Very strange. Anyway I can imagine a new revenue maker for the Greenville airport will be refueling for the many Delta jets that cannont make the Atlanta Airport since they do not carry enough fuel any longer to make it there if they cannot land immediately. The high fuel costs I imagine play into this. Anyway thanks Greenville airport for having the gas so we avoid falling out of the sky on our flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area