Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying2live View Post
Hey All!!!
My husband was offered a job in Greenville SC and he is considering the move, but we are nervous because we read a lot of negative comments about GV being unkind to Northerners and minorities (we are both). Being as though we are from Philadelphia, we are used to diversity, and we'd like to raise our sons in the same fashion.. So with that being said..
If you we're given the opportunity to move to relocate to greenville again.. Would you and why??
Also, would you move to Greenville if you were a northern minority???

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't be too nervous. It is the south and there is still some racism present but most people have moved beyond that point. There are quite a few towns in the area where transplants are almost the majority now (Mauldin and Simpsonville come to mind). You don't mention what minority you are but I'm not sure it matters overly much.

I like it here but a good part of that are all the outdoor activities I enjoy that are close by. If I was more of a city person, I'm sure there would be other places I would enjoy more than Greenville.

I enjoy the low cost of living, lack of traffic congestion, low taxes, outdoor recreation opportunities, and the quaint downtown.

This is still a conservative area, though, so if that bothers you it could be a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM

10 posts, read 24,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I mean, there are minor things I don't like (lack of a truly good music scene), but I would still move here again.

And hard to say...I don't know if it is better than where I moved from (I loved Raleigh) but I also have enjoyed my time here and can say I am happy and I made the right choice moving here for my job. The cliche answer though? I love main street downtown. It has so much for the size city that Greenville is. I also love the lack of general traffic here compared to both Charlotte and Raleigh which were my previous two places of residence. Cost of living is low. We're still close-by to Asheville, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. I do wish that we had a better local music scene and we end up driving to Charlotte to fly certain places because it is cheaper. A few small qualms like that, but in general we have really enjoyed it here.
Cool!
Thank you for sharing your story, I really appreciate it. I am a BIG music buff as well, so I'm sure I will feel your pain LOL!

I'm feeling a lot better about this possible move more and more : )

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Without a doubt.

The location is great (mountains, etc), the climate is awesome (we're from FL so the summers seem much shorter and cooler to us).

You get all of the benefits of a smaller city (traffic and reasonable drives to get places), but we also have many amenities that other cities this size don't.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
It is the south and there is still some racism present but most people have moved beyond that point.
I was born in Virginia, and have lived in Illinois, Iowa, Virginia, Connecticut, and North Carolina over the years. There were racists, bigots, anti-semites, homophobes, and boneheads in all places. There were also a lot of decent, kind people in all of them. Worst racism and most segregated areas I've spent time in: Boston and Chicago. When I lived in Connecticut in the early 80s, the Klan was quite active ... and the head was an Italian American. Go figure. So one might equally say ... "It is the north and there is still some racism present". Racism isn't just a "Southern thing".

Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What if we were born here like I was?
I completely agree with what RAE17 says and would LOVE for to hear why you stayed : )

Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I was born in Virginia, and have lived in Illinois, Iowa, Virginia, Connecticut, and North Carolina over the years. There were racists, bigots, anti-semites, homophobes, and boneheads in all places. There were also a lot of decent, kind people in all of them. Worst racism and most segregated areas I've spent time in: Boston and Chicago. When I lived in Connecticut in the early 80s, the Klan was quite active ... and the head was an Italian American. Go figure. So one might equally say ... "It is the north and there is still some racism present". Racism isn't just a "Southern thing".

Oh, I completely agree! There ARE racist and narrow minded people everywhere.. Difference is, I know where they are, and where they aren't in my hometown.. Not so much in GV.. I know the weather I'm flying in, in Philly.. Not so much in SC.. That's why I have to ask these questions

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Without a doubt.

The location is great (mountains, etc), the climate is awesome (we're from FL so the summers seem much shorter and cooler to us).

You get all of the benefits of a smaller city (traffic and reasonable drives to get places), but we also have many amenities that other cities this size don't.

Sounds great!! I love the small town Feel (especially since I'm from a large city)
And woul d LOVE Less traffic
: )

Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I wouldn't be too nervous. It is the south and there is still some racism present but most people have moved beyond that point. There are quite a few towns in the area where transplants are almost the majority now (Mauldin and Simpsonville come to mind). You don't mention what minority you are but I'm not sure it matters overly much.

I like it here but a good part of that are all the outdoor activities I enjoy that are close by. If I was more of a city person, I'm sure there would be other places I would enjoy more than Greenville.

I enjoy the low cost of living, lack of traffic congestion, low taxes, outdoor recreation opportunities, and the quaint downtown.

This is still a conservative area, though, so if that bothers you it could be a concern.
Thank you for giving me some great locations (I needed that!). Ehh.. The conservative people don't bother me too much. As far as my ethnicity.. My family and I are African American (I guess it matters a little LOL).

Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
Quote:
Shamrocker:

Thanks for your reply!
You've eased our minds a little.. So what is it that you like about GV??
And how long have you been there?
We moved here and have stayed here for the amazing weather and scenery. My family loves to go to the state parks (We buy the season pass every year). We've been here 5 years.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Thank you for giving me some great locations (I needed that!). Ehh.. The conservative people don't bother me too much. As far as my ethnicity.. My family and I are African American (I guess it matters a little LOL).
I didn't mean that your ethnicity wasn't important - it is a part of what makes you who you are. I just meant it wasn't terribly important because you can probably find your niche here whatever your ethnicity may be.

We lived in Jersey for 4 years when I was a kid and I think there was plenty of racism there but it was different. A lot of ethnic groups there grouped together - the Italians, the Polish, the Greeks, African Americans, they all seemed to have their own separate communities that didn't mix very much. It is different here but you still find white folks that don't like people of other ethnic groups. I think that is less and less as time goes by but it does still exist.

We lived in Southern Georgia for 3 years and I think the racism was most evident there out of anywhere I have lived. I had people at work both white and African American that assumed I was racist because I was a white guy from the south. I must admit I heard some of that crap growing up but I have tried hard to not embrace it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area