Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. I know city data doesn't like advertising so please send it in a pm. Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM

411 posts, read 853,530 times
Not sure I understand. A realtor really doesn't figure into the loan portion of the transaction beyond being able to recommend a mortgage broker. At least in my experience. I've done FHA multiple times and the realtor has never really figured in. You just need 3% down of whatever the purchase price is or in some cases, what you are pre-approved for if you expect to buy up to the max of your pre-approval price.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
OHJ is correct - ALL realtors should be familiar with these loans - additionally, if you are purchasing a home, this little detail is VITAL information to give to the home seller (note that some sellers are apprehensive selling to those needing a FHA loan)...

You need to get a mortgage BROKER (local only!) that is experienced with FHA loans (I can DM my broker contact if you want)

Also, never go to a realtor recommended broker (IMO conflict of interest)

Finally, congrats on a possible home purchase - what part of the Upstate are you interested in?

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-02-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM

I know FHA lends to those with lower credit scores, as low as 500 if you have a sizable down payment which we have. But I can't find a lender to do such. My bank told me they just stopped lending a month ago to anyone under 640. My husband screwed his credit up when he was younger and his score is still suffering as is only at 590. We make plenty of money and have 5 years of NEVER EVER being late on a rental of 1000/month but that doesn't seem to count for anything. Since my bank said no I don't know where to turn? A google search turns up scams.

The rental market here sucks and I'm tired of paying out the butt for a crappy rental and have looked at decent homes that would fall into less a month in mortage.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Forget about your individual bank (even if it's local) -

You need to contact a local mortgage broker that is experienced with FHA loans (again, I can DM my broker info if you want)

Lastly, I would only buy a house if you plan on spending at a minimum 3 years in the Upstate (due to all the closing costs/misc fees)

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM

145 posts, read 356,594 times
are you a veteran by chance? The VA loan while it does have a 620 credit requirement, does not require a down payment.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM

34 posts, read 174,983 times
My personal recommendation would be Pat Grissinger with Prudential. Not sure of the forum rules for post links, so you can just Google her name.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by nimo1; 05-02-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM

411 posts, read 853,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I know FHA lends to those with lower credit scores, as low as 500 if you have a sizable down payment which we have. But I can't find a lender to do such. My bank told me they just stopped lending a month ago to anyone under 640. My husband screwed his credit up when he was younger and his score is still suffering as is only at 590. We make plenty of money and have 5 years of NEVER EVER being late on a rental of 1000/month but that doesn't seem to count for anything. Since my bank said no I don't know where to turn? A google search turns up scams.

The rental market here sucks and I'm tired of paying out the butt for a crappy rental and have looked at decent homes that would fall into less a month in mortage.
FHA tightened up their regulations in the wake of the real estate meltdown. However, never has the minimum credit score been 500. FHA guidelines state that 580 is the lowest but 620 and above are preferable. However this is contingent on the mortgage underwriter. They make the call. For example, back in 2011, I tried to buy the duplex that I am renting. I already own a house in Columbia that I bought with a FHA loan. I had long term renters in that property. According to FHA guidelines, I could have obtained the loan, but the mortgage underwriter would not approve it. Even going through the manual underwriting process. That's a key point--find a broker who knows mortgage lenders who will do the manual underwriting process. Otherwise, ya'll need to find a way to get your husband's credit score up. Google ways to do this--some say that a small revolving credit or loan account that is paid early will help boost a score. But this is only if he doesn't have a large amount of debt currently.

You may be stuck for now, unfortunately. If you can afford $1000/month in rent, I would suggest finding a realtor who may be able to negotiate a lease purchase for you. While the market is starting to bounce back, some homeowners are desperate to sell and may be open to "creative" financing.

In any case, I feel your pain. Our house in Columbia will probably be foreclosed on so I'm out of the game for awhile. FHA says that they will loan within 3 years of a foreclosure or related event, but since it was a FHA loan to start and knowing what I know about underwriters, I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately, my hubby was not on the loan. Unfortunately, he's yet to find permanent, stable employment and like your husband, his credit score is stalled at 590.

Best of luck to you in any case.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM

462 posts, read 968,673 times
If YOU have good credit and have credit cards, you can add your husband as an authorized user and your payment history will reflect on his credit which will bring up his scores. I was in the mortgage business for 10 years but have been out of it for about 12 years now. We are in the process of buying a home & I was shocked at how things have changed and how strict they are. Even those with perfect credit are having to bend over backwards to make it happen. I would work on building the credit before going any further.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Forget about your individual bank (even if it's local) -

You need to contact a local mortgage broker that is experienced with FHA loans (again, I can DM my broker info if you want)

Lastly, I would only buy a house if you plan on spending at a minimum 3 years in the Upstate (due to all the closing costs/misc fees)
If its not too much hassle I'd love for you to PM his info. I'd really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
However, never has the minimum credit score been 500.
Nope, they definitely lend to lower scores. http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/...-Loans/444776/

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaholic View Post
If YOU have good credit and have credit cards, you can add your husband as an authorized user and your payment history will reflect on his credit which will bring up his scores. I was in the mortgage business for 10 years but have been out of it for about 12 years now. We are in the process of buying a home & I was shocked at how things have changed and how strict they are. Even those with perfect credit are having to bend over backwards to make it happen. I would work on building the credit before going any further.
Yea we have thought about doing that but my income isn't enough on my own. My husband is the one that makes the money. My career has taken a nose dive living here. Thanks for the idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area