Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM

271 posts, read 797,342 times

Advertisements

School choice is a Greenville County thing. The situations people are talking about here are specific to Greenville county, and not sure it's a state thing at all. You'd probably want to check with your school district if you are not in Greenville County. Also not all counties even do their school system like Greenville. For example, look at Spartanburg. The county is split up into different "school zones"...districts, I think they are called, and each district is kinda in charge of itself. Unlike Greenville County, where all schools are under the same umbrella. Maybe someone in Spartanburg can shed light on this?

There's different ways to attend a school, in Greenville County, that you are not zoned for. Some schools are "Magnet" or Charter schools and you have to apply, and be academically eligible, and still then go into a lottery. J.L. Mann comes into mind for that. Although those zoned for it automatically get in. There's there's just a lottery system in general...for example Riverside....since it's touted as an "A" school lots of people who are not zoned for it, like to get in. They stand in line to apply, and then names are drawn aka lottery. And then there's the Art schools, like Wade Hampton and Governor's Schools where you can get in by applying with your art/music/acting skills....again, those zoned get in automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
As far as I'm aware there is no zone for the Governor's schools; you have to apply and be accepted even though it is a public school.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
ESEA / Federal Accountability System - South Carolina Department of Education

I thought it was solid? Old Greenville money school. No?

Greenville High is a combination of old school $$$$$ (and lots of it) and the kids who live along dunbar. It is a school that offers A LOT academically but at the CP level they struggle.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
"Old Greenville money" left the Greenville school system when they were forced to desegregate.

That money went into private schools, namely Christ Church.

It's difficult to find a child of wealthy parents in Greenville in the public school system.

ever seen Gville High's amazing school bus they use for sporting events. tell me that didn't come from old money writing a check. as another poster said, greenville has the best and worst of both worlds.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
To clarify, it's very difficult in the area zoned for Greenville High, to find wealthy parents who send their kids there. While looking for a house in that area, I was able to talk to a lot of parents. Not one family had kids at Greenville High. The vast majority of kids at the high school level went to Christ Church, with a few (actually one family) driving their kids to another public high school (can't remember which one). They told me you can petition or apply to do that in Greenville County?

You don't have to go to the school you are zoned for?

between your 8th and 9th grade school years you can request to go to a high school that you are not zoned for. the school you wish to transfer to has to "accept" you and you have to provide your own transportation. essentially for incoming high schoolers there are no zones. its a legit free for all.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
That's great that SC has school choice. But anyone have specific info / firsthand knowledge of / or send their kid to GHS?

buddy i teach with in GCSD HAD his oldest at GHS and his youngest will attend there as well. seems to like it, they are zoned for it. never says anything bad about it. says that the money that exists there is not as in your face as it is over at Gower Prep.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
ever seen Gville High's amazing school bus they use for sporting events. tell me that didn't come from old money writing a check. as another poster said, greenville has the best and worst of both worlds.
I have never seen a Greenville High school bus that is any different than any other Greenville County activity bus. Are you thinking of the bus used by Greenville Technical Charter High School?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
A bus? One bus? That's not old money.

There may be some money there at Greenville High. But a bus is not evidence of much money, unless it's made of gold or something.

Tell me about indoor tennis facilities, or pools, or anything expensive...and you'll have my attention.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 AM

411 posts, read 853,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
School choice is a Greenville County thing. The situations people are talking about here are specific to Greenville county, and not sure it's a state thing at all. You'd probably want to check with your school district if you are not in Greenville County. Also not all counties even do their school system like Greenville. For example, look at Spartanburg. The county is split up into different "school zones"...districts, I think they are called, and each district is kinda in charge of itself. Unlike Greenville County, where all schools are under the same umbrella. Maybe someone in Spartanburg can shed light on this?
I went to Spartanburg School District 3 and you have to go to the schools that are in the zone where you live. So no choice in the matter (besides moving). I think the one thing that may allow for more choice is if the student has a parent who is a teacher. I believe the teacher can petition to have his/her children attend schools in the same district that they teach in.

The other exception is the rather new Spartanburg Charter School. It is in school district 7, so those children are automatically in (if they apply), but then they have a number of spaces for children who live outside district 7 as well.

Greenville has a unique and pretty awesome system, IMO. I don't have kids yet but we will probably petition to have a future child in the magnet schools. We love where we live in Greer, but the neighborhood is zoned for Greer High. Methinks we don't want our children matriculating through there. In any case, since we both work in Greenville, it would be more advantageous to have our child/children enrolled in schools that are close to work for us.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 PM

113 posts, read 244,876 times
That's great...but anyone have specific info / firsthand knowledge of / or send their kid to GHS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area