Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Affluent? I assume the retirees from other places with money? The median income for a family (those working) is super low.
Doctors at the AnMed Health Campus on SC-81 earn more than a super-low salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 12:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Oh, yes, doctors make good coin in all hospitals, lol. But the median income is still super low there. So I guess the docs salaries take the median up a notch, lol.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
I don't know if it's considered "recent", but we relocated here from Illinois about 5.5 years ago. We love the climate here, with a little of everything, beautiful scenery, and lower cost of living in general. We are still surprised on a daily basis (we shouldn't be) at how poorly some people drive around here, so you do have to watch out for those folks. We have a strong Christian background, but are quite liberal, so that mix can be a little uncomfortable at work and at church, but we get along okay. We don't have any plans to move anywhere else for a long time, and would move here again in a heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times
There is something going on with drivers in the whole central Carolina region. I find many go highway speeds in parking decks, change multiple lanes at a time, and seem to think that no one else should be in front of them, just for a very few examples. It does sharpen one's skills to drive here.

raj

Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
That's everywhere, Raj.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 PM

278 posts, read 308,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
That real estate agent was unprofessional. No matter how nice you were and how comfortable you made her feel in your presence, she should not have felt comfortable enough to say that to you. Did you drop her as your agent? I'm a Believer, but there is a time and a place for everything and she crossed the line. Very inappropriate comment on her part.

I lived just a few minutes away from the LDS temple in Mesa. It has some great architecture and interesting scenes chiseled into the building. I didn't have an advanced enough camera back then to get pics that did it any justice, as I was a total newbie to photography. But, yeah, LDS churches (called 'wards') are on every corner, just about, like you find other churches on almost every corner down here, LOL.
I dont think the real estate agent was being unprofessional. It would make me uncomfortable but I dont think it was rude. Im not religious, but I notice people here have Christianity so deeply ingrained in them, that saying "Have a blessed day, ma'am" is just good manners to them its second nature, like anyone else would say "have a nice day". I have heard people say other things like they dont need a credit check but just the name of your pastor if youre renting (not a bad idea, for safety reasons really, but rules out agnostics), that they just pray everything will be alright, well ill pray for you/them, etc and "remember when you were a little girl and you used to pray on .....? Well, "

They arent trying to offend you, theyre just talking the way they were raised. Which for many people in Greer and Gvl (in my exp), includes a lot of references to church. In 2 yrs, I never had anyone try to convince me to go to church, but have met many students from Bob Jones and Furman, which both have a strong religious component. God is just really big in the Bible Belt, obviously. .

My two cents.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Default Moving to Easley

As a minority person there is no way I would move to a Klan infested area such as Easley. I had read a previous email from a minority person asking if they should move to this area. Don't - stay away. Not saying that all people there are klansman and are bad people but its clear that minority people are not wanted. There are many other places to live and live in peace.
Shotgun

Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 AM

278 posts, read 308,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brorie View Post
As a minority person there is no way I would move to a Klan infested area such as Easley. I had read a previous email from a minority person asking if they should move to this area. Don't - stay away. Not saying that all people there are klansman and are bad people but its clear that minority people are not wanted. There are many other places to live and live in peace.
Shotgun
Omg
Glad i live on the other side of town!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,692 times
I was invited to a clan meeting once down here but kicked me out when they found out I follow college football

Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brorie View Post
Shotgun
This is a stupid assertion. I lived in Easley for over 7 years. I had minority neighbors when I lived in an apartment off South D Street, and when I had a high school student in my house, she had tons of minority friends. There didn't seem to be any klan activity that I ever heard of. None of my neighbors or kid's friends said that they felt unwanted in Easley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area