Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking of relocating from Austin, Texas. My best friend is also thinking of re-locating from Ft. Lauderdale. We will be in Greenville the weekend after next and are looking at neighborhoods. One o the ones Ive found appears to be called the Welcome neighborhood. I have also seen some listings Im interested in on Wilburn Street. Any advice? We are both looking for houses on the smaller side, older, approx 1200 sq ft with large yards. Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
I would rate both of those as possibly risky - they border on problem areas and a buyer would need to have firsthand knowledge such as having rented it first to know the neighborhood. Of the 2, the Wilburn Avenue area would be my first preference, but even then it will take some local knowledge; ask neighbors, etc.

Nearby Dunean is a nicer older neighborhood (mixed again), but probably won't have large yards.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:05 PM

411 posts, read 853,430 times
As a recently reformed urban pioneer, I have found the Greenville County Sheriff's Office's crime map super helpful when looking at neighborhoods.

Crime Map : Greenville County Sheriff's Office

If you are not afraid of transitional areas, then you might want to check in and around the Cherrydale area. Beyond the urban sprawl of Old Navy, the movie theatre, and other big boxes, is a pretty large older neighborhood. I think of it as San Souchi, but I'm not sure if that still applies that far over. With the crime map, you should be able to nail a suitable area.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
I would not advise locating in the Welcome community. Agreeing with bikeoid, that is a riskier area in terms of crime and safety. White Horse Road south of West Blue Ridge Drive has had issues in recent years.

If you are looking at western and northwestern sides of Greenville, I would definitely consider Cherrydale, San Souci, Berea and Furman. Stay away from Parker District and Cedar Lane Road.

If you are looking for schools, Welcome and Cherrydale Elementary schools are Chapter I schools for being in disadvantaged areas. If you have children that may be going to school, definitely would want to get close to better schools.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,467 times
I've lived in some questionable neighborhoods in my time, and I have to agree that I would not consider the Welcome area without investigating the particular area thoroughly, and even then I would be very wary. Personally, I'd look farther north towards Travelers Rest and the vicinity.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
Wow! Thank y'all very much for this helpful info. I've been the urban pioneer girl living in transitional neighborhoods in the past, but I think I might be getting over that. I will look the areas you suggest. Thanks SO much! What is the area like between Furman and Franklin Roads? Is that kind of were y'all are talking about as a possibility?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,467 times
Where Cedar Lane Rd (183) runs between 25 and 276 -- stay north of there, or at least do your due diligence in researching. Some of that area around Sans Souci can be sketchy, too.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpriss View Post
Wow! Thank y'all very much for this helpful info. I've been the urban pioneer girl living in transitional neighborhoods in the past, but I think I might be getting over that. I will look the areas you suggest. Thanks SO much! What is the area like between Furman and Franklin Roads? Is that kind of were y'all are talking about as a possibility?
San Souci, the area closest to East Blue Ridge Drive, North Franklin Road and the northeastern stretch of Perry Road, is a good and safer area. I am not too crazy about being close to Old Buncombe Road toward Cedar Lane Road. This area puts you close to Cherrydale Point, a major plus.

If you are looking for nicer and older areas, I would look at Berea and Furman. Definitely look at neighborhoods adjacent to Watkins Road, Old Buncombe Road, Duncan Chapel Road and Hunt's Bridge Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area