Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Brookwood Inn, located at 4930 College Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29303-6628, off Interstate 85 Business exit 1, was condemned Thursday afternoon after it was deemed unfit for human habitation.

Gross, Daniel J. "Spartanburg County condemns Brookwood Inn; more than 70 families displaced." Spartanburg Herald-Journal. 2014-03-21. GoUpstate.com. 2014-03-21. <http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140320/ARTICLES/140329982/1112?Title=Brookwood-Inn-condemned-numerous-families-displaced>

Over the past ten years or more, several hotels along the Interstate 85 Business route have been condemned and demolished for various reasons. Criminal activity were big at several locations.

I wonder if there are more hotels along this route that are yet to be exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM

49 posts, read 81,418 times
I was really surprised when this story came out. I thought the place looked pretty good from the highway. It has decent landscaping and lighting at night. I first realized it was long term residential a few month ago when I saw a school bus stop there and quite a few children get off and go in. Just goes to show, you can't tell a book by it's cover.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Brookwood Inn was not the only lodging having long term residences. Southern Suites on Reidville Road at Interstate 26 is in the same situation. I can understand the option is the best for those who need a place to stay. I do not like the reality these hoteliers have in children growing up in atypical to us surroundings or law enforcement presence on a daily basis.

A few other hoteliers in the city have similar issues. Both Sunshine Inn on North Church Street and Economy Inn on South Pine Street closed.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 AM

69 posts, read 92,445 times
I wonder why the county's code enforcement doesn't do more when it receives calls about other properties in a state of blight? Did it get involved with this because someone from the hotel called 911 to report an issue?

There are tons of houses in blight in the county...not only are they obvious to passers by, but even when code enforcement is called, often nothing happens. BTW - I am not talking about nit-picky stuff such as a neighbors grass is a little too-tall. I am referring to bags of trash in the yard or on the porch, broken windows and graffiti, doors wide-open on abandoned properties...

But then again, the old Hammond Brown Jennings building on Church St is an eyesore and looks as if pieces will fall to the earth at anytime (is that a condemned symbol on the front?), yet it remains...

If code enforcement and the county sheriff's office would do more to work together and attack this issue, perhaps it would help with some of the crime issues in the area. It is frustrating when no one seems to care about drug houses...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 AM

If enough calls are received by appropriate agencies in regards to inhabitable living, building falling below code and criminal activity, someone is going to respond.

Spartanburg County may want to raze Spartanburg Motor Lodge and Campus Place Extended Stay on Charisma Drive and Country Hearth Inn on International Drive. These are both abandoned lodging facilities far off in the state of disrepair. Not only should these properties be razed, it is time to bring some new life to Charisma Drive.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 04-22-2014 at 08:10 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I thought I read somewhere that this place reopened recently.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM

I would not expect extensive building disrepair to be resolved overnight. I can understand why Hampton Inn left for good reason years ago.

The former Clarion Hotel on Fairforest Road needs to find a major hotel chain to stay with instead of closing on a fly by night basis. From Wilson World to Radisson, this hotel is open short term, then closes long term for extensive overhauls only to repeat the process again.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 PM

69 posts, read 92,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If enough calls are received by appropriate agencies in regards to inhabitable living, building falling below code and criminal activity, someone is going to respond.

Spartanburg County may want to raze Spartanburg Motor Lodge and Campus Place Extended Stay on Charisma Drive and Country Hearth Inn on International Drive. These are both abandoned lodging facilities far off in the state of disrepair. Not only should these properties be razed, it is time to bring some new life to Charisma Drive.
Believe it or not, the Spartanburg Motor Lodge is still in operation!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Spartanburg Motor Lodge, 800 Charisma Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29303-2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzutoo View Post
Believe it or not, the Spartanburg Motor Lodge is still in operation!
How recent is this? I know the signage remains up, but past observations of the entrances blocked and no automobiles in the parking lot gave indications the entity is closed.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Brookwood Inn, 4930 College Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29303-6628

Brookwood Inn was sold Monday in a public auction for $500 to Khanna Group of Hotels, Incorporated, based out of Atlanta, Georgia.

Proceeding with renovations, the motel may reopen in four to six weeks. Seventy-five rooms may be reopened to the "displaced community."

I guess the hotelier will be making the necessary improvements for rooms to become habitable again and reach out to permanent lodgers who were displaced. I do not know how far renovations will go to improve the hotel and to reduce and prevent suspicious activity.

"Condemned Motel Sold During Public Auction Monday in Spartanburg." WSPA-TV. 2014-06-02. Retrieved 2014-06-04. <http://www.wspa.com/story/25670426/condemned-motel-sold-during-public-auction-monday-in-spartanburg>

Kimzey, Kim. "Brookwood Inn sold at auction." Spartanburg Herald-Journal. 2014-06-02. Retrieved 2014-06-04. <http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140602/articles/140609921>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area