Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM

17 posts, read 45,280 times

Advertisements

Driving up 385 this morning a woman passed me. I glanced over and she was applying makeup with 2 hands, looking in her mirror (above), and driving with her knee.

Why is this legal, but now you can't hold a phone while driving in Greenville City, SC? Not even while stopped!?
Details on Greenville's Distracted Driving Ordinance

I'm guilty of all sorts of phone abuse while driving - texting, web, notes, etc. Yea... that's stupid. I'm trying to improve. However, I feel confident I can ALWAYS talk on a phone while holding it and still be a super focused driver. Texting? Yea... got to give that up.

So why isn't applying makeup illegal? Why are police and emergency vehicles exempt to use their phones while driving?

Efforts of Greenville to go hands free are great. But too extreme, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
I don't understand - are you saying the ordinance is too lax, because it doesn't cover makeup and exempts police/EMS, or are you saying it's too extreme?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM

17 posts, read 45,280 times
gvsteve: too extreme. I mean there are millions of things that can distract a driver. Why make touching phones illegal? What about kids? Re: police/EMS - they're often driving and faster speeds, emotions high maybe going to a crime or to save someone's life. I'd feel they're already distracted enough to be using a phone. So why exempt them? I think they can (and should) use their phone. I think I can too. What's the difference though?

All for a ban on "texting" or mobile phone use OTHER than maps or phone calls. That's where the ban should be.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
There is an epedemic of accidents being caused by people using cell phones while driving. The percentage of accidents caused by people putting makeup on are very small. (Still a stupid thing to do though.)

Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
Re: police/EMS - they're often driving and faster speeds, emotions high maybe going to a crime or to save someone's life. I'd feel they're already distracted enough to be using a phone. So why exempt them? I think they can (and should) use their phone. I think I can too. What's the difference though?
The difference is that Police and EMS frequently need the phone to stop a crime or save someone's life. Civilians also have an exemption that they can use a cell phone while driving to report crashes or other emergencies.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Distracted driving is already illegal and should cover what needs to be enforced. This was an unnecessary law that is overly broad and covers things like checking to see if you have a text while stopped at a red light.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Distracted driving is already illegal and should cover what needs to be enforced. This was an unnecessary law that is overly broad and covers things like checking to see if you have a text while stopped at a red light.
But isn't that a distraction and we should be watching the light. LOL IDK if it save lives its a good thing and it may be saving my own but leaving it open so that you can do this but you can't do that makes it a mess. I like what someone said last night on the news : "its the law I need" and the one I need too to put the phone down and stop it all together. People lived for years without them at all.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times
One can almost count on the fact that the ones against the law are the ones that need to live under the law.
Just like no one's little angels ever bother anyone in a nice restaurant while screaming and running, because the parents aren't being bothered.

It is sad but true that society is headed AWAY from courtesy and self-discipline.

raj

Old 04-11-2014, 04:45 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
So many accidents are linked to texting and driving and distracted driving and this seems to be so common and that is why. You noticed the woman driving and putting on make up because it is out of the ordinary. And, yes, that was wrong.

I have had enough close calls with idiots on the phone backing out in parking lots etc. I am all for it!

I have two things that are very useful

--Bluetooth--hands free talking. Easy Peasy. No excuse not to.
--SMS Autorespond.

Free app. When I get a text when I am driving it sends a return text that says to CALL me if it is important enough for me to respond immediately, else I will respond when I stop. It also reads the text out loud for me. I don't feel the need to be texting while I am driving. This is ridiculous. Is it usually SO important that it cannot wait?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:33 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
One can almost count on the fact that the ones against the law are the ones that need to live under the law.
Just like no one's little angels ever bother anyone in a nice restaurant while screaming and running, because the parents aren't being bothered.

It is sad but true that society is headed AWAY from courtesy and self-discipline.

raj
This is exactly right. Any time I see someone complaining about this law being too strict I know never to get in a car with that person and to stay far far away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: