Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 PM

632 posts, read 748,843 times

Advertisements

This one is going to switch things around a little. The "Best Pizza" thread triggered this post. I'm going to query you northern immigrants on another subject that locals are sorely incapable of providing adequate answers. I'm sure its going to feel funny but I'm bowing to you northern expertise...(innocent grin)

During my business life, I traveled often to NYC, New Jersey and Philadelphia. It never ceased to amaze me that pride of one's ethnic origins was such an important consideration. Especially being raised where such distinctions were limited to rich or poor. If you were poor enough, skin color, religion and origin didn't matter. I can vouch for Northern Hospitality being just as welcoming as the southern version, once you get past the neutral street faces.

One of my favorite clients was every stereotype of a garment district business man of Hebrew extraction. Saul was a funny, profane, fast talking, hard drinking little gnome who personified a sharp minded NYC street trader. I thoroughly enjoyed doing business with him, but going to lunch with him was always the highlight of any trip top the city. Saul was a genius when it came to finding small hidden Delis around any of the boroughs that he decided to drag me through. He introduced me to real corned Beef, Pastrami, Prosciutto and a host of other NY deli miracles. My favorite was one that found me being ambushed and dragged inside by the owner because things were slower than he want. Saul laughed at my reaction for years afterward.

Another client in NJ, introduced me to the heights of which a hotdog could aspire, if only given the proper love and toppings. My one regret to being taken with type II diabetes is my consuming addiction , which he created, for Italian pastries and deserts. Angelo also mentored me on the social subtleties of doing business with such a confusingly diverse spectrum of the ethnicity. I owe thanks to him for much of my success.

Cheese Steak... if i can't find sex, give me cheese steak. I can't blame this on one individual since every person in Philly knows where the "best Original Cheese Steak" is to be had. I had all 300 "best Original Cheese Seaks" and every one of them lived up to the billing.

Now the question...

Where do I go and who do I have to kill to locate and/or duplicate these epicurean versions of crack cocaine?

I might be the only local born redneck with the problem, but I cant be the only one jonesing for good yankee comfort food. Feel free to chime in and hijack the thread. Just help me get properly fed...LOL

Cedge

Last edited by Cedge1; 05-08-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
This one is going to switch things around a little. The "Best Pizza" thread triggered this post. I'm going to query you northern immigrants on another subject that locals are sorely incapable of providing adequate answers. I'm sure its going to feel funny but I'm bowing to you northern expertise...(innocent grin)

During my business life, I traveled often to NYC, New Jersey and Philadelphia. It never ceased to amaze me that pride of one's ethnic origins was such an important consideration. Especially being raised where such distinctions were limited to rich or poor. If you were poor enough, skin color, religion and origin didn't matter. I can vouch for Northern Hospitality being just as welcoming as the southern version, once you get past the neutral street faces.

One of my favorite clients was every stereotype of a garment district business man of Hebrew extraction. Saul was a funny, profane, fast talking, hard drinking little gnome who personified a sharp minded NYC street trader. I thoroughly enjoyed doing business with him, but going to lunch with him was always the highlight of any trip top the city. Saul was a genius when it came to finding small hidden Delis around any of the boroughs that he decided to drag me through. He introduced me to real corned Beef, Pastrami, Prosciutto and a host of other NY deli miracles. My favorite was one that found me being ambushed and dragged inside by the owner because things were slower than he want. Saul laughed at my reaction for years afterward.

Another client in NJ, introduced me to the heights of which a hotdog could aspire, if only given the proper love and toppings. My one regret to being taken with type II diabetes is my consuming addiction , which he created, for Italian pastries and deserts. Angelo also mentored me on the social subtleties of doing business with such a confusingly diverse spectrum of the ethnicity. I owe thanks to him for much of my success.

Cheese Steak... if i can't find sex, give me cheese steak. I can't blame this on one individual since every person in Philly knows where the "best Original Cheese Steak" is to be had. I had all 300 "best Original Cheese Seaks" and every one of them lived up to the billing.

Now the question...

Where do I go and who do I have to kill to locate and/or duplicate these epicurean versions of crack cocaine?

I might be the only local born redneck with the problem, but I cant be the only one jonesing for good yankee comfort food. Feel free to chime in and hijack the thread. Just help me get properly fed...LOL

Cedge
We are trying to figure out these local places as well. We definitely know what you're talking about being from up north

Old 05-08-2014, 07:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
We lived in Southern NJ for four years when I was in 4th - 7th grade. The ONLY thing I miss is the Italian inspired food. The Pizza, Calzones, Hoagies (imagine a sub sandwich but 100x better).

The Philly Cheese Steak is a variant on the Hoagie. Thinly sliced steak grilled with bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms. Melt a bunch of Mozzarella on top and put it on a Hoagie roll and you have a pretty awesome sandwich. I've found places outside the South Jersey / SE Pennsylvania area that have come close but no one has ever gotten it quite right. The missing element seems to be the bread. Hoagies use a bread somewhat similar in shape to a sub roll but that tastes quite different. A good Hoagie Roll has a tough outer crust and is wonderfully soft inside.

I also loved "Italian" style Hoagies with lots of meat and cheese piled on a Hoagie roll with lettuce, tomato, onion, and italian dressing. Jimmy John's has a sub that is a decent imitation but again, the bread isn't quite right.

It is rare to find Pizza that is as good as the stuff up there, either. Our favorite Italian place up there was run by two Italian brothers that both had tempers. It wasn't unusual to hear an argument break out in Italian from behind the counter while you were eating. If it got really heated, the pizza boxes would start flying around. It just doesn't get much more authentic than that!

There is a little Italian Place in Easley that is in a tiny house and is only open on the weekends. It doesn't have Cheese Steaks or Pizza or Hoagies but does have some really good, authentic high class Italian style cuisine. Kind of expensive but we went there for an anniversary dinner and it was excellent.

If someone finds a good, authentic Hoagie or Cheese Steak place, let me know!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
The hoagie rolls are different because of the water. I've heard of restaurants shipping the hoagie rolls from up north. We'd like to know a good place to get a Philly cheese steak hoagie as well. I heard some mention Sharkey's and Vinny's which we haven't tried yet.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Becky
I'm hoping someone is keeping secrets and real deal cold cuts are being smuggled in. Don't get me wrong... I don't mind Boars Head. It's just that after eating Corn Beef or Pastrami made on premises, from an old family recipe or some of the lesser known Salami's, even the local "good stuff" sort of misses the mark. I'm a bit surprised no one has established a supply line from the city and opened a NYC Deli or the perfect Original Cheese Steak shop. Is Nathan's as good as it's going top get for a decent hotdog?

Cedge

Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
This:

An actual 'sandwich' from Carnegie Deli in NYC. Not faked, photoshopped, or a one-off. They make their own pastrami, corned beef, and bread (rye, of course).

Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I had to travel to Raleigh for a cheesestake and FL for a deli. (Ok I didn't travel for just those but when I was pregnnant I had a cheesestake craving and couldn't find anywhere here to get one. Finally visited family and had an awesome one.)

I don't know what it is about this place that lacks more diverse foods. I guess there just isn't enough people from other places to open these resturants?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Saucy...
You're kidding, right? It's getting difficult to find anyone native born around here. As one of those rare souls, it getting to be a Purple Bull experience:

I've never seen a purple cow
With tears my eyes are full
I've never seen a purple cow
and I'm a purple Bull

You'd have loved it here when we had 3 upscale steak houses, one place serving Chinese and Capris was it for Italian...LOL. Pizza was big and we could choose from 3 places... Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn and Shakey's. It was somewhat hard to impress a date when she'd been eating out in the all same places. I do sometimes miss the variety of Mom and Pop, meat and 3 diives.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:20 AM

42 posts, read 54,420 times
Believe it or not, Foxes Pizza in the Thorneblade Crossing shopping center has a pretty good cheesesteak. They actually use cheese whiz just like in Philly.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:23 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
This:

An actual 'sandwich' from Carnegie Deli in NYC. Not faked, photoshopped, or a one-off. They make their own pastrami, corned beef, and bread (rye, of course).
As a former New Yorker you are killing me, flgargoyle! Lived in Raleigh for 16 years and watched delis come and go; there is nothing anywhere here like those NY delis!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area