Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:55 AM

6 posts, read 7,276 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and my family and I are looking at moving to one of the Carolinas. They have been looking at NC and I have a friend that had a son that live in Greenville, SC for a few years and they would visit him 3 times a year and they loved it. I am originally from Michigan and I hate the winters. We are looking for an area that has a very large house and property. If we had a 20 minute ride into town that would be ok. They all could live in a cabin in the woods and be happy. I want some city events and I love music so I like to go where there are live bands. I don't like the young kid club scene. I think I would like something like the Nashville night life.

We all do love nature. We like mountain views, waterfalls and lakes, bike trails. At first for economic reasons we will live together. Me, my 29 yr daughter with her 2 small boys (2 and 5yrs)., my 31 yr old daughter and her husband, and my 32 yr old daughter. So we need a large house and lots of storage and property. My son in-law works at Pepsi Co here in Florida and wants to transfer to a place where there is a few different places to work in case one doesn't work out. He does lots of driving for his job so that is in the mix also. Here in Florida he drives and hour to work and hour back and drives from store to store all day long 14 hour days most of the time. He would like to be closer to a plant if he could.

If someone could give me some idea of what it would be like living in Greenville I would greatly appreciate it. I read someone elses flood advice. That is good we have a lot of that problem here in Florida with so much water every where. I love the water though just do not want to get in a flood zone. I love the beaches here. I just don't want to get somewhere and there is no where to go to the beach.

Thanks

SJW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM

226 posts, read 369,069 times
I love Greenville so far. We just moved up here from Aiken, SC. Maybe take a look out towards Cleveland, SC? That is about a half hour to Greenville or so, but there are grocery stores closer. If you're more willing to be further out, Pickens County and Oconee County are probably cheaper as far as how much bang for your buck you'd get for housing. Both are moreso in the mountains than Greenville is, but I'm not sure as far as amenities what is going on there.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:03 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
We moved from the Tampa area (Pinellas), and love it here. We are north of Travelers Rest, but only 15 miles from downtown Greenville. The mountains start about 10 miles from our place, and there are a number of beautiful parks 1/2 hour or so out. There a lot of waterfalls in this area- I think I read 160? Lots of hiking and biking available. There are 3 large lakes about an hour away, and smaller ones close by.

Flooding isn't an issue for most of the area, but there are some low spots that do flood. Do all of the research you can to be sure that the properties you look at aren't in a flood zone. We really wanted property with a creek, but ultimately we couldn't find any that weren't a flood risk. In Greenville County, you can research properties at gcgis.org. I assume similar sites are available for other areas.

The weather is a mild 4 seasons. Summers are tolerable, esp. compared to FL, and the winters aren't too bad. Spring and fall are long and pleasant. This past winter, we got down in single digits a few times, but that is rare. We had a couple small snow storms, which really screwed up the roads, but again, fairly rare.

In general, the farther from downtown, the lower the land prices, and larger pieces are more available.

You mentioned beaches- There are no beaches here, at least like FL. The Atlantic beaches are 3-1/2 hours away or more. There are probably small beaches at some of the lakes, though.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 AM

43 posts, read 67,813 times
We moved here a few years ago from the NC beaches, and we absolutely love it! We've met a lot of people from both the north and areas south of us like Florida, so I think you would fit in well here. (In fact, our neighbors are Michigan transplants! They don't miss the cold either.)

As for nightlife, we come from a college town where the bars are filled with kids, so the Greenville nightlife is refreshing. Downtown Greenville has lots of live music events catered to the adult crowd. Walk around downtown on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll hear music coming from every block. There are a few wine bars, a brewery, and lots of restaurants with extensive drink menus as well. Lots to choose from!

flgargoyle has some great advice. We like visiting Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee and have found that we don't miss the beaches at all.

There are a lot of areas around Greenville that would be a good fit for you. It's really just a matter of deciding which area you like best.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
We came from FL as well. We are originally from PA, so we are half backers. LOL It really is a happy medium hence the reason my DH and I ended up here. I agree with everything that has been mentioned above. I think you will like living outside of Greenville but close enough to visit downtown. I think Travelers Rest is a good option. It will give you land and you will be close to the mts and downtown Greenville.

Come visit and see what Greenville has to offer. I think you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
We have been here 3 years, after 20+ in the Tampa Bay area (St Pete, and then Bradenton / Sarasota).

Absolutely no regrets, but then we had enough of the seasonal economy, tourist / snowbirds, heat, cost of living, beach, etc.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 AM

Default Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerashby View Post
We moved here a few years ago from the NC beaches, and we absolutely love it! We've met a lot of people from both the north and areas south of us like Florida, so I think you would fit in well here. (In fact, our neighbors are Michigan transplants! They don't miss the cold either.)

As for nightlife, we come from a college town where the bars are filled with kids, so the Greenville nightlife is refreshing. Downtown Greenville has lots of live music events catered to the adult crowd. Walk around downtown on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll hear music coming from every block. There are a few wine bars, a brewery, and lots of restaurants with extensive drink menus as well. Lots to choose from!

flgargoyle has some great advice. We like visiting Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee and have found that we don't miss the beaches at all.

There are a lot of areas around Greenville that would be a good fit for you. It's really just a matter of deciding which area you like best.

Thanks, We are making a trip to Winston Salem, Aug 17th and I hope we stop in Greenville, it sounds more like me. I appreciate your input very much! Now I just have to find a Good Hotel that is clean and won't break the budget. Lol
Stevie

Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 AM

Default Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
We have been here 3 years, after 20+ in the Tampa Bay area (St Pete, and then Bradenton / Sarasota).

Absolutely no regrets, but then we had enough of the seasonal economy, tourist / snowbirds, heat, cost of living, beach, etc.
Yes, I am tired of the long hot summers too. I rented for the last eight years but now to buy is a whole different story. I hate pasco and plus all of the Sink holes. I like Pinellas but I want to be buy the beach and near water so I cannot afford the flood insurance. So I might as well move and get four short seasons and nature and I guess I have to drive to a beach but at least there are lakes and waterfalls. I love that!
Stevie

Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
As far as hotels, I'm going to repeat the same advice I've given others; the La Quinta at Haywood is very nice and you can get especially good rates on the various travel sites. It is close to everything and has a decent breakfast as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 AM

43 posts, read 67,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieJae13 View Post
Thanks, We are making a trip to Winston Salem, Aug 17th and I hope we stop in Greenville, it sounds more like me. I appreciate your input very much! Now I just have to find a Good Hotel that is clean and won't break the budget. Lol
Stevie
Awesome! We always stayed at the Comfort Inn on Congaree Rd when we were in the process of relocating here. It's nice, clean, and pet-friendly, if that's important to you. Have fun during your stay here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area