Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times

Advertisements

Folks from Spartanburg, Anderson, Greenwood, etc....all come to Greenville for shopping. Outside of Greenville, there is not much to offer shoppers in the upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,745 times
G-Man, I have asked myself the same question. Lo and behold - I ended up having to travel at that time on Woodruff Road this year. I kept telling myself "At least it's not Charlotte." I used to live in Charlotte, and it was much worse.
It appears to me that the biggest problem we have on Woodruff Road this time of year is gridlock. People won't keep the intersections clear. Sometimes it is hard to gauge whether or not the traffic is moving at a pace that will allow clear passage through an intersection, but gridlock can be avoided if one just slows down and surveys the situation before proceeding through an intersection.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:27 AM

131 posts, read 214,398 times
I went turned on to Woodruff Road at 515pm Christmas Eve to go to Trader Joes. There was no traffic. You just have to time it right and wait until the absolute last minute to shop.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
G-Man, I have asked myself the same question. Lo and behold - I ended up having to travel at that time on Woodruff Road this year. I kept telling myself "At least it's not Charlotte." I used to live in Charlotte, and it was much worse.
It appears to me that the biggest problem we have on Woodruff Road this time of year is gridlock. People won't keep the intersections clear. Sometimes it is hard to gauge whether or not the traffic is moving at a pace that will allow clear passage through an intersection, but gridlock can be avoided if one just slows down and surveys the situation before proceeding through an intersection.
Yes! Many people are not courteous when driving here. At the intersection of Roper Mountain and Woodruff, already too short a light, I had to wait through about 5 cycles to go straight even though there were not that many cars in front of me. People turning left onto Woodruff from Roper Mountain just kept coming even though the light had already turned red.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:49 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleEngineer View Post
I went turned on to Woodruff Road at 515pm Christmas Eve to go to Trader Joes. There was no traffic. You just have to time it right and wait until the absolute last minute to shop.
I went Christmas shopping in Simpsonville on Christmas Eve morning, at Belk, Kohl's, Walmart, and Target. It was quick and convenient compared to Woodruff Rd. and Haywood Mall. As I went to Macy's the previous Saturday and it was congested. I think it is nice how Belk has the smaller stores in the suburbs if you want to avoid the crowds at Haywood. Now we just need another Best Buy somewhere to avoid Woodruff Rd, as Greenridge has very bad access and is extremely congested.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
A better question would be- Why did the planners put all of the shopping on ONE road? Parts of the upstate are starting to resemble the area we left in FL, with little or no thought apparently given to growth; just build stuff wherever. We hit Woodruff about once a month, and get there at 8AM on Saturday. We're gone by about 10 or so.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
For the third year in a row, I did 100% of my shopping for my family of 5 online. Best Christmas ever!

Woodruff who?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:38 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Traffic flow around Greenridge was easy when compared to Magnolia Park this holiday season. Saturday evenings seemed especially bad and more than a few shops and restaurants are still under construction. I consider Woodruff Road a perfect example of TERRIBLE planning by a city that takes pride in decades of superior urban revitalization. It may take decades of headaches and missing out on larger economic development opportunities before that corridor will see significant improvement.

Last edited by Skyliner; 01-06-2015 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: a glaring typo

Old 01-06-2015, 02:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Traffic flow around Greenridge was easy when compared to Magnolia Park this holiday season. Saturday evenings seemed especially bad and more than a few shops and restaurants are still under construction. I consider Woodruff Road a perfect example of TERRIBLE planning by a city that takes pride in decades of superior urban revitalization. It may take decades of headaches and missing out on larger economic development opportunities before that corridor will see significant improvement.
The city annexed a lot of this after it was built up including Greenridge. Put the blame on the county if anybody deserves it.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Greenville goes in cycles. Once they catch up the infrastructure on Woodruff Road, the businesses will abandon it for the next new "in" location.

Wade Hampton Blvd. was once the "in" location, then the old Greenville Mall area, then Laurens Road, then Haywood, now it's Woodruff Road (ironically, near the abandoned Greenville Mall).

If you could predict the next "in" spot in town, you could make some significant money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area