Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 10:07 AM

16 posts, read 13,608 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be taking a trip to visit Greenville, SC in a couple of weeks to scope out the area, but we only have 2 days.
A little about us:
We are both 26, with our first child on the way! We will be moving there with her mother and 12 year old sister in 2016. We want a family friendly area with great schools and low crime. We will be living outside the city, but close enough where frequent visits are not a hassle.
We are both originally from Long Island, NY. We now live in Chesapeake, VA (and it is awful; No. 3 most boring city in the US. There are only chain restaurants and stores, and we hate it!). So it goes without saying, we want there to be A LOT of fun activities! We also lived in Charleston, SC for a while (loved the downtown area, but could do without the sweltering summers and billions of bugs). A lower cost of living would be ideal, but job availability is a must. (I currently serve in the Navy as a Nuke Electrician). I would prefer an area with a large enough body of water for a sailboat, too.

Where do you think would suit our growing family? If you could include places we wouldn't want to miss during our visit, that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Well, I lived on LI for several years and I would think that in the Greenville area you would probably most like parts of Simpsonville and the Thornblade area of Greer. You wouldn't be far from Lake Robinson.

You of course would not want to miss downtown; Falls Park and the Liberty Bridge are the centerpieces. Main St. is lined with interesting shops and restaurants. Not much else I can tell you that you haven't already seen online , but feel free to ask questions!

Last edited by BigRedBeth; 12-30-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 03:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
You need to devote one day to downtown and Falls Park for sure.

As far as neighborhoods, be more specific. (price range, house, condo, land,etc)

Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
You are moving here in 2016? Or are you moving here sooner and your mother-in-law will follow in 2016?

There is a lot of manufacturing in the area where you could likely find work with electrician skills, especially if you work with PLCs and that kind of stuff.

How close do you mean by frequent visits not being a hassle? 15 minutes from downtown? 30 minutes? an hour?

Schools vary a lot in quality in this area - but there are a number of different great schools so give us more of a picture of what you are looking for and we can give you some suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area