Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:20 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times

Advertisements

How dare people not stop when there is a wreck! I mean, I couldn't stop because I was too busy but those other people, they should have stopped!

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
I only stop if I can be of some assistance. As in, I witnessed the accident, or there appears to be something that I can do to help. If everyone stopped, the amount of cars could impede aid to those in the accident or cause another accident.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:39 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
How dare people not stop when there is a wreck! I mean, I couldn't stop because I was too busy but those other people, they should have stopped!

LOL
Bingo

Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,029 times
The last time I witnessed and accident (On Easley Bridge Road/123 not far from White Horse) I stopped and waited for the Police to tell them what I saw because the 2 people involved disagreed about what happened and I was behind on of the cars and clearly saw who was in the right. The waiting I did not mind since I wanted to make sure the poor guy wasn't railroaded by the lady yelling about her having right of way, him speeding, etc, etc.
Then I was contacted about going to court (In Simpsonville?!). I went. Sat for over an hour. The lady's attorney filed a motion. I left. I was contacted again s few months later. I went, I waited. She did not show. I told the judge it would be the last time I was a good samaritan in such a situation. I consider myself to be a kind person, but that whole process soured me on doing the "right" thing.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:10 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post

LOL
You're sarcasm is my point. I'm not arguing on my post anymore about my observation. Either you agree with what I posted or don't. No need to make a pointless comment about it.

And I'm pretty sure not all the cars on Wade Hampton were busy. People are just selfish for the most part.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:14 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumdit View Post
The last time I witnessed and accident (On Easley Bridge Road/123 not far from White Horse) I stopped and waited for the Police to tell them what I saw because the 2 people involved disagreed about what happened and I was behind on of the cars and clearly saw who was in the right. The waiting I did not mind since I wanted to make sure the poor guy wasn't railroaded by the lady yelling about her having right of way, him speeding, etc, etc.
Then I was contacted about going to court (In Simpsonville?!). I went. Sat for over an hour. The lady's attorney filed a motion. I left. I was contacted again s few months later. I went, I waited. She did not show. I told the judge it would be the last time I was a good samaritan in such a situation. I consider myself to be a kind person, but that whole process soured me on doing the "right" thing.
That would irritate me but good for you for helping That's never happened to me before though, and I have probably stopped 3 times to help someone. Years ago when I was 17, there was an awful wreck that I was the first one on the scene. No one was around since it was early and when I get out of the car, I noticed the car doors had blood all down the side (it was a multi vehicle accident). The driver handed me his phone because he couldn't talk and I called 911 and stayed until help arrived. And I was going to be late for work but I didn't care. So this right here rules out the "I'm too busy to help" reason someone gave............

Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
You're sarcasm is my point. I'm not arguing on my post anymore about my observation. Either you agree with what I posted or don't. No need to make a pointless comment about it.

And I'm pretty sure not all the cars on Wade Hampton were busy. People are just selfish for the most part.
Complaining that others didn't act when you didn't act is the height of hypocrisy. If you need someone to find fault with, go look in the mirror. I obviously disagree with someone expecting others to do what they themselves refuse to do. Even more ridiculous, you publicly complain about the situation and expect others to agree with your viewpoint.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM

'I didn't stop because I was busy. Everyone else didn't stop because they are selfish.'

Psychologists would call this Fundamental Attribution Error

whcih is
Quote:
people's tendency to place an undue emphasis on internal characteristics to explain someone else's behavior in a given situation, rather than considering external factors. . . .The flip side of this error is the actor–observer bias, in which people tend to overemphasize the role of a situation in their behaviors and underemphasize the role of their own personalities.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
When I was younger, I came upon an intersection where two cars had collided. It was very late at night. I ran to the first car and he was yelling, smelled like booze and was trying to get out of the car. I ran to the second car, which was flipped over and this lady was laying half-way out of her car. I was only 18 years old. There was NOBODY out there to help. There were no cell phones then. I had to wait until somebody drove by, so they could get to a phone to call for help.

The lady's face was very swollen. It looked like her face hit something. She looked really, really bad and very injured. She was confused and she asked me if she was going to be okay? I held her hand and told her of course.

What I'm saying is...it's the character of the person who stops to help. ....Some people can be stone cold and drive right by the scene. Some stop without giving it a second thought...I did what I could but could not offer first aid. Only comfort.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The lady's face was very swollen. It looked like her face hit something. She looked really, really bad and very injured. She was confused and she asked me if she was going to be okay? I held her hand and told her of course.
I had a very different experience . . . I stopped when a car had flipped several times (after passing me going 100+) and the driver was pretty clearly dead in the middle of the road. His girlfriend, (possibly intoxicated) kept asking me if he was going to be OK. I just repeated "It doesn't look good."

Now, my wife and I have a 2 year old, and that makes it a lot more complicated to stop for accidents. So sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. But that's just one out of many reasons why people might not stop. So I try not to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area