Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:48 PM

690 posts, read 1,148,622 times

Advertisements

So Greer CPW is a decent utility. I have them for lights, water, gas. They also cover a fairly large area as well.

What would it take for them to start offering fiber internet? Similar to many small utilities all over the US that do the exact same thing?

One example is EBP Chattanooga - power, water, etc and fiber internet - 1GB for $69.99?!?! And there are countless others all over the US.

I know it would be a major physical undertaking with laying the fiber, etc. But does anyone know if Greer CPW even has this as an inkling of an idea to provide this service? They would make so much money and it would be such a massive boost to the Greer economy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:09 PM

80 posts, read 114,742 times
I think all forward thinking cities should be doing this. It is great for businesses. I would love to see Greenville get Google Fiber.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:46 PM

102 posts, read 122,214 times
I think I would rather have Greer provide the service rather than a commercial company like (and especially) Google who, no doubt, would just keep raising the price like all the rest. Not that Greer would not also, but it would seem that the Greer residents/customers might be able to better have a chance to control the costs. I know I would be happy sign up.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,301,314 times
It would take changing state law. The cable and phone company lobby successfully greased the wheels to pass a law making it illegal for almost all public utilities to offer internet in this state:

South Carolina passes bill against municipal broadband | Ars Technica

Companies like Charter and AT&T don't want to have to compete with the public utility. In Chattanooga, the public utility offers a faster service for less money. In cities where Google has come in, the local cable companies often increase their speed AND reduce their price.

Average internet speed in the US is slower than in many second world economies like Uruguay.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,671,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
It would take changing state law. The cable and phone company lobby successfully greased the wheels to pass a law making it illegal for almost all public utilities to offer internet in this state:

South Carolina passes bill against municipal broadband | Ars Technica

Companies like Charter and AT&T don't want to have to compete with the public utility. In Chattanooga, the public utility offers a faster service for less money. In cities where Google has come in, the local cable companies often increase their speed AND reduce their price.

Average internet speed in the US is slower than in many second world economies like Uruguay.
I think that they could probably get that overturned if they fought it, but they'd have to decide to spend the money (both to build the infrastructure, and to fight the state).

FCC overturns state laws that protect ISPs from local competition | Ars Technica

Old 11-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Man, that really stinks. Didn't know a bill was passed in 2012 on this.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:49 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,301,314 times
Lack of competition is why internet speed is so slow in the US. Couple that with large parts of the country with no broadband, and we are behind 3rd world countries in some cases:

Why is American internet so slow?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:30 AM

Here's the exact bill in question -- 2011-2012 Bill 3508: Government owned communications service providers - South Carolina Legislature Online

Really wondering if there is the ability to spur some conversation with our Government regarding this and see if this is truly holding back SC from broadband competition.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:35 AM

140 posts, read 272,292 times
I love your way of thinking. It has puzzled me that no one is giving Charter a run for their money since everyone seems to hate them and there are plenty of folks in this area who can afford internet service. My parents live in a town with a population of around 13,000 and they have better internet service than we do from Charter because a small company came to town and laid fiber. They pay about as much as we do for Charter, but have much better/faster service.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Well, I'd like to keep this discussion going. I think this is something quite valuable to the Upstate and our SC economy in general. That and I love competition. It keeps businesses honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area