Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,106 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm currently relocating to Greenville and was wondering if anyone had advice about a headhunting service. I currently manage a medical office and would feel so much safer moving with a job waiting for me. I've tried online sites but I fear my current location scares some potential employers off at first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance soon to be new neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,765 times
If you have the opportunity to visit, try and get a trac phone or similar with a local area code and number. It's a bit of a deceptive practice, but having an out of state number on your resume can, unfortunately, lead to potential employers disregarding your resume, or filters preventing them from even seeing it in the first place.

You will also need to be willing and able to travel on short notice for interviews with potential employers.

Don't just stick with headhunters and staffers. A temp to hire or contract opportunity may get your foot in the door, but there are tons of medical offices in the area. Call them directly. It certainly can't hurt to speak with someone and at least give them your name, so that maybe it sticks in their head when they are looking at resumes.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,631,272 times
Some employers specifically state they will not deal with head hunters / recruiter so if you're interested in a recruiter you should also submit applications on your own. I have an out of state phone number and I've never known that to be an issue (although I'd probably never know it!). Being out of town that may present an interview issue but depending on the company they may work with you on that. Try multiple online job sites as most employers seem to only choose one instead of at least the top 5 websites for some reason when trying to hire someone. Go to specific websites at facilities your're interested in and see if they have listings on their site as well. Do a Google search to help with that if you're not familiar with what companies operate in the area.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 PM

148 posts, read 222,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciaadina View Post
Hi! I'm currently relocating to Greenville and was wondering if anyone had advice about a headhunting service. I currently manage a medical office and would feel so much safer moving with a job waiting for me. I've tried online sites but I fear my current location scares some potential employers off at first. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance soon to be new neighbors!
Try Kudzu Medical...I live in Danielle's neighborhood and believe she mentioned that did a lot of medical offices.

Danielle White, Kudzu Medical
danielle@kudzumedical.com
(864) 272-0181 x103
www.kudzumedical.com

Old 06-24-2015, 01:18 PM

97 posts, read 160,342 times
Head hunters are a joke around here. Nothing like the big city agencies. If you have medical experience you should be applying to all the major hospitals in the area. As far as your resume, you could always put an expected address (apartment complex). Yes, kind of deceptive but it may be the best option.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetNole View Post
Head hunters are a joke around here. Nothing like the big city agencies. If you have medical experience you should be applying to all the major hospitals in the area. As far as your resume, you could always put an expected address (apartment complex). Yes, kind of deceptive but it may be the best option.
Hooray for useless info with no evidence.

There are good and bad recruiters/head hunters in all cities and Greenville has its fair share. Just depends on the company and the recruiter.

FGP (Find Great People) has some medical recruiters but I think it's mainly on the C-level. I was in the tech group so not 100% sure about that.

Interview agencies just as hard as they interview you.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 PM

97 posts, read 160,342 times
Hooray for people who love staffing agencies. The world needs you too.

So evidence - 5 years ago right out of college FGP interviewed me and said I had the position only for me to wait around 2 weeks and then say I didn't. I worked contract with Addeco and had an internal position offered to me by the company. It was a 35% pay cut form my contract rate due to the bonus payout required by the staffing agency from the company. Both Account Temps and Godshall called me and lied about interviewing me for a specific job I applied for. It's not an interview at all. They call everyone in who has a decent resume to plug them into there system. They want all your personal info and "What salary you are looking to make along with Salary history and every other piece of information. Lastly I had two staffing agencies fighting over me for a contract position in Columbia. They blew up my phone for 2 weeks straight when I turned both down for a local job. It was borderline harassment. The game of chicken that they all play is like a car salesman. What salary are you looking for.. My response always is"what does the position pay????". It's a joke. Is that enough evidence?

Point being that in SC if you have medical experience or engineering experience it's best to apply directly. Why go through a middle man who will take a cut for jobs that have excess employment demand?

Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetNole View Post
Hooray for people who love staffing agencies. The world needs you too.

So evidence - 5 years ago right out of college FGP interviewed me and said I had the position only for me to wait around 2 weeks and then say I didn't. I worked contract with Addeco and had an internal position offered to me by the company. It was a 35% pay cut form my contract rate due to the bonus payout required by the staffing agency from the company. Both Account Temps and Godshall called me and lied about interviewing me for a specific job I applied for. It's not an interview at all. They call everyone in who has a decent resume to plug them into there system. They want all your personal info and "What salary you are looking to make along with Salary history and every other piece of information. Lastly I had two staffing agencies fighting over me for a contract position in Columbia. They blew up my phone for 2 weeks straight when I turned both down for a local job. It was borderline harassment. The game of chicken that they all play is like a car salesman. What salary are you looking for.. My response always is"what does the position pay????". It's a joke. Is that enough evidence?

Point being that in SC if you have medical experience or engineering experience it's best to apply directly. Why go through a middle man who will take a cut for jobs that have excess employment demand?
Fair enough and bummer you had a bad experience. For the most part straight out of college peeps don't bring that much money to an agency (contract or direct hire). Now for high-level positions, agencies are very valuable (or for IT related..that's what I did so I can't speak for medical stuff).

And yes, it is a game, even for an agency. They get so inundated by candidates and the upstate market is so small (relatively speaking for the candidate pool) that they will do and say things to keep candidates on the hook while they are finalizing the job. Why? Because they want to make sure you're covered and another agency doesn't 'steal' you first. And them not getting back to you or yanking your chain...that's just wrong. I personally never did that with my candidates but we had some recruiters that did do that.

But you are right - you don't need an agency to find a great gig. You do need to network and find people inside that company that can help. Blind posting on job boards and company websites is mostly an exercise in frustration.

End point - even though you've had a bad experience (I have had bad experience as well) don't let that taint your future career growth and opportunities for finding better gigs. You need to play them just as hard as they play you.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:00 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,692 times
Applying directly is usually the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area