Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM

37 posts, read 128,336 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm a 31 year old single (white) mom of two african/american & caucasian boys :-) They are 8 and 9. I have to throw that in there because I have been told that many parts of SC are still very racist and it's not in my or their best interest to move from the 'north' to the 'south'. I have done tons of research and have narrowed it down to either greenville/spartanburg or columbia sc. My mother will be coming along and she is retired. I have talked to sooo many people on the phone from SC - in various apartments and the chamber of commerce and everyone has been sooo nice; I honestly have to know - which city/area is better and why? And honestly - will it be a problem for my children? The area whe live in now is mosty asian, and there aren't many bi racial children at all and we haven't had any problems. I was told by several apt managers to steer clear of the east side of greenville if I were to move - any help at all is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,244 times
Good Luck in your move. We live in Mauldin, and I know there are several bi-racial families in our neighborhood, and I have never heard any of them complain how they or their families have been treated. We have welcomed them into our community just like anyone else. I think you can always find racist people no matter where you live, but it's not the norm here.Liz

Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM

37 posts, read 128,336 times
Liz,
Thank you; that's great to hear!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM

47 posts, read 121,934 times
i just moved here from appleton Wi about 5 months ago. I live in greenville and i have to say so far i love this place, Pretty much most of all the folks i have met have been very friendly.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,832 times
Default moving to sc

Hi, I have moved from wi to sc and had children with me. I relocated to charleston and have noticed that there are a lot of biracial families that have nothing but good to say about their welcome to the south. Please don't let others dissuade you from their narrow point of view. been there done that and moved on to the betterment of my family. Let the old sterotypes DIE

Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM

370 posts, read 947,474 times
Either Greenville area or Columbia (Irmo or Northeast Columbia) would be great choices. Both have good things to offer. I think you'll love it here in SC.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,891 times
For those moving into Spartanburg SC from Wisconsin, it is a wonderful place to live. For the lady who wrote that she has children and is moving to The area with her mother the South has homes with great accommodations for mother-in-law suites. We downsized and left our home which had 3 baths, formal dining, living room, sunroom, two wood burning fire places, one in the mother in law area where there was a sitting den, bath, and bedroom. She mentioned her ethnic background. Two of our neighbors were black and the most helpful neighbors a family could look for, so don’t fear moving to Spartanburg SC or the neighbors. It’s a friendly town and convenient to many amenities, including a fantastic Cultural Center with a fantastic little theatre and a host to 7 colleges (Wofford, Converse, University of SC, United Methodist College, Spartanburg Community College, Sherman Chiropractic College, and the Medical College).

Old 10-27-2022, 09:11 AM

253 posts, read 190,755 times
Why are we reviving a thread from 2008?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area