Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKern View Post
I am looking at doing this too. How much will you now be paying for Charter and what speed? Did they lock you in a contract?
Charter does not lock you into a contract.

We're saving about $35 a month after taxes and fees for a comparable TV package. Charter internet standard speed is 60 mbps, which is significantly faster than what AT&T offers in my area.

The only 2 downsides so far are that you can only watch DVR programs from the TV they were recorded on (you can record on any TV and watch on any other TV with Uverse) and the Charter guide. The Charter Channel guide looks like something out of the 1980s. The DVR issue is one we can deal with. The jury is still out on the channel guide. The Charter one is awful enough that it may force us back to Uverse - we'll see.

The internet speed is noticably better on Charter. I'm also not seeing all of the packet loss we had on Uverse. Streaming video is a pleasant experience with Charter where is was very choppy on Uverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:02 PM

387 posts, read 330,725 times
Spoke to a Uverse installer today. He said he's done several Gigapower installs, but that it requires fiber to the premises. All the places he had done were new construction (apartments?). So... Definitely no fiber to the door in my neighborhood yet.

He didn't have any idea about pricing.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM

183 posts, read 303,146 times
Pricing is not $110 a month I can tell you that much. Charters low picture quality, lack of DVR features and reliability drove me nuts and I had to get off of them. Every Sunday my speed would go to crap, it would got out all together when heavy storms happened and it would be for days because they use the phone poles which was a problem because the issue was trees falling in the lines. I replaced Charters 60 mbps internet which was $40 a month with $42 a month 75 mbps at&t U-verse and it literally hasn't gone out or been unstable even once since we hooked up in Oct. I will say that at&t's low speed internet tiers stink though. However if you have their good service available it destroys Charter.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:43 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
Pricing is not $110 a month I can tell you that much. Charters low picture quality, lack of DVR features and reliability drove me nuts and I had to get off of them. Every Sunday my speed would go to crap, it would got out all together when heavy storms happened and it would be for days because they use the phone poles which was a problem because the issue was trees falling in the lines. I replaced Charters 60 mbps internet which was $40 a month with $42 a month 75 mbps at&t U-verse and it literally hasn't gone out or been unstable even once since we hooked up in Oct. I will say that at&t's low speed internet tiers stink though. However if you have their good service available it destroys Charter.
We are lucky that all Charter cables in our neighborhood is underground and hence service is reliable.

Since I want only internet ( we have Dish) the pricing ATT quotes for their gigabit is $110 per month, for 1st year

https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/gigapower.html

Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 AM

When I wanted faster U-Verse ( than the dsl I had previously) they had only the 18 MPS, or a double line strand that doubled speed to 36 mps. Nothing more than that, and certainly not 75 mps. Not in my neighborhood.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 AM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
I've had charter service at my house for 6 years now. I've had issues twice, both times they replaced the line to my house from the street. The first time I'm guessing the elements got to the line, the 2nd time I know my neighbor nicked it while digging in his yard.

I'm guessing for every charter customer that has issues you can likely find an AT&T customer that has issues and vice versa. Neither company is perfect. AT&T is still a step down in my book because they are picking and choosing neighborhoods to roll out Uverse in, instead of providing blanket coverage to the area.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 AM

I have ATT UVersa in my office ( combined deal with phone service) and Charter at home. I have had more internet interruptions at my office due to some digging somewhere down the road that affected the ATT phone lines. The charter, on the other hand is much more reliable.

But on the whole both companies are good. Even ATT's service goes down only 2-3 times per year.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 PM

31 posts, read 38,030 times
I don't think my area has U-verse yet. I have been grandfathered into some old Charter internet service plan - the speed is really slow and gets interrupted often. I only need the internet, and when I have called in the past to upgrade, they always try to talk me into some higher combo plans with TV that I really don't need - very frustrating.

I'd be fine with a permanent $42/month for 60mbps with nothing else attached; how did you manage to get this particular plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post

Old 02-02-2016, 07:23 AM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times
I had U-verse and the fastest speed they could offer was 24Mbps and that was $80/month (JUST for the internet).

Also the picture quality was absolutely horrible compared to the picture quality on Charter's HD channels.

Not only that but they screwed up my billing every single month until I finally canceled the service (didn't give me the promotional price and said they fixed the issue, each month I would owe more and more over the promotional price, each month they told me they fixed the problem until I ended up owing like $300 more than I was supposed to, at which point I canceled).

Anyway, I only have internet now anyway, 60Mbps through Charter and my speedtests usually come back closer to 70-75. I've only ever had reliability issues once in the 8 years I've had charter.

AT&T is the worst company on the planet - their wireless division has some of the worst customer service known to man as well. After the U-Verse debacle I went through, and wireless issues I had with them a decade ago, I vowed to never give them another cent of my money no matter what they offer.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:36 PM

31 posts, read 38,030 times
Sorry to hear all that trouble with AT&T. I have heard similar stories from a few others - so it is safe to say I'm probably not going to consider getting the U-verse even when they do become available.

What is the name of this 60Mbps "internet only" package from Charter and what is it supposed to cost per month? This is the one I need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post

Anyway, I only have internet now anyway, 60Mbps through Charter and my speedtests usually come back closer to 70-75. I've only ever had reliability issues once in the 8 years I've had charter.

AT&T is the worst company on the planet - their wireless division has some of the worst customer service known to man as well. After the U-Verse debacle I went through, and wireless issues I had with them a decade ago, I vowed to never give them another cent of my money no matter what they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area