Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 08:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

How do they compare in price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
LEC buys it from Duke, so.......

My last power bill was around 150, but it goes up to around 225 - 250 in the summer. You really dont have a choice of who to use. If Duke is in the area,thats who you use, if LEC is in the area thats who you use.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
LEC is.. Somewhat significantly higher. Though not massively.

If you shutoff the main at your house. You're getting a $10 power bill from LEC, even though you used no power.. "Facilities Charge"

So, this month, I have a $90.33 bill.. Minus the facilities charge, that's $80.33 in power on 669kWh

Comes out to about 12 cents/kWh. I think Duke is more around the 9 cent range.

I will mention.. I don't think I've lost power for more than an hour or two with LEC.. Ever. That's one of the big advantages of using them. They have their own crews, and a much smaller area to cover.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:55 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I will mention.. I don't think I've lost power for more than an hour or two with LEC.. Ever. That's one of the big advantages of using them. They have their own crews, and a much smaller area to cover.

Thats VERY true! Last time I can remember losing power was, well, like 15 years ago, and that was just for a day and before that we lost it for like 5 hours and that was at least 20 years ago. (I remember it because it was the day we broguht my oldest son home after he was born.) Weve had those little quick off then right back on type deals, but not anything major for a long time!!

Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM

At some point over the last 6 months or so.. I apparently lost power for ~50 minutes or so.

2016-02-26_1459 - JHannaNCC's library

That's the UPS on my computer, which is on 24/7. And, that's unusual.. The over/undervoltages.. Not that odd.. Having quick 5 second blackouts.. 8 of them in a 24 week period.. Not unusual.. The 49 minute total.. that's higher than normal.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Thats VERY true! Last time I can remember losing power was, well, like 15 years ago, and that was just for a day and before that we lost it for like 5 hours and that was at least 20 years ago. (I remember it because it was the day we broguht my oldest son home after he was born.) Weve had those little quick off then right back on type deals, but not anything major for a long time!!
So True. After living in numerous apartment complexes in the Greenville Area over the years before purchasing a house I never remember an outage when I lived in a complex with LEC. Duke yes.

As far as $$$ though seems like LEC was always more for same size apartments.
One complex I lived in was split( Duke on one side and LEC on the other) I chose an apartment on the Duke side - (a few times we had an outage and the other side did not). So odd.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Quote:

^this. We had power back on in 6 hours in a recent ice storm that affected some people for days.

LEC seems to do a lot of preventative tree trimming which must help with the power outages. I am not saying Duke doesn't do that, but LEC sure does a nice job.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
^this. We had power back on in 6 hours in a recent ice storm that affected some people for days.

LEC seems to do a lot of preventative tree trimming which must help with the power outages. I am not saying Duke doesn't do that, but LEC sure does a nice job.
LEC is also doing alot of underground power installs. All the houses out in my area seem to be run underground to the house, at least.

And, yes, they do quite a lot of right-of-way tree trimming as well.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 PM

271 posts, read 796,815 times
We had Duke when we lived in NC and I thought very expensive! Of course, one can't really compare unless you were living in the same house, doing the same thing, running the same electricity and used both companies. That is not possible since both companies wouldn't serve the same house. That being said, since moving here to SC, we've had LEC the last five years and Ive thought it was much better than Duke.

And yes, what others said about power going out. I don't think we've ever lost power here at this house, in the last five years, with LEC. Duke goes out around the area on a regular basis.

What I really prefer is the LEC customer service. Since it's a small company they seem to care about their customers. I've called both companies as a customer and Duke was always a PITA to deal with.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:42 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
I have LEC, and my power went out once around 1-2AM. By 4am there was a mini-backhoe in my neighbor's yard digging up a buried transformer (or something) that had failed. Power was back on by 7. I was impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area