Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,329,214 times

Advertisements

Anyone know much about the time line for this? I believe they are working Church Street now. I can see how this will make the city neater. Hopefully the surrounding burbs will follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Anyone know much about the time line for this? I believe they are working Church Street now. I can see how this will make the city neater. Hopefully the surrounding burbs will follow suit.
Actually, I believe Church Street was too costly, and thus the lines will remain. I believe the initial plans calls for Camperdown Way/Rhett Street burial downtown, Augusta Street line relocation, and Haywood Rd burial.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:06 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Actually, I believe Church Street was too costly, and thus the lines will remain. I believe the initial plans calls for Camperdown Way/Rhett Street burial downtown, Augusta Street line relocation, and Haywood Rd burial.
Not only do the old lines remain, they added a whole new row of even bigger power poles. So now there's even more power lines than before.

I don't think people realize how "junkie" a city looks when cluttered with so many power lines, signs and billboards.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Not only do the old lines remain, they added a whole new row of even bigger power poles. So now there's even more power lines than before.
I believe they REPLACED the poles that were already there with new poles. Is this not correct? The new poles are taller. Which, in the end, if the lines can't be buried, I'd rather have taller poles so the trees don't be butchered as much as they do on Augusta Street.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I believe they REPLACED the poles that were already there with new poles. Is this not correct? The new poles are taller. Which, in the end, if the lines can't be buried, I'd rather have taller poles so the trees don't be butchered as much as they do on Augusta Street.
Last time I looked, the old poles were still there. Maybe they'll eventually come out before the project is done?

At any rate, there will still be power lines along Church. I think spending the money to bury lines is worth it.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
I don't think people realize how "junkie" a city looks when cluttered with so many power lines, signs and billboards.
Quote:
I think spending the money to bury lines is worth it.
I agree 100% and would not mind paying into a "power line burial fund" if necessary.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I agree 100% and would not mind paying into a "power line burial fund" if necessary.
Same here.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,329,214 times
Thanks for correcting me about Church Street. I saw that they were replacing the traffic lights with a mast type, and assumed it was a part of the lines being buried.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 AM

42 posts, read 101,708 times
Quote:
Last time I looked, the old poles were still there. Maybe they'll eventually come out before the project is done?

At any rate, there will still be power lines along Church. I think spending the money to bury lines is worth it.
There is a few old poles still standing that they poured concrete around because they were still holding some type of cable. That cable has since been removed and if you take a walk past one of these that is still there the concrete was precut for easy removal.

Agree, and wish the power lines were removed, but the total was $5MM. I do feel putting in new poles that are taller, dont look like they are 25 years old because of years of weather, and are actually STRAIGHT does help a little bit. I believe they had to raise them because of the sidewalk landscaping also. It is a band-aid at the end of the day though.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Powerline burial along a portion of Haywood Road started this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area