Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:39 AM

9 posts, read 11,270 times

Advertisements

I am looking for someone in the real estate market that deals also with rentals or is very familiar with rentals. We are moving down soon and have never rented before and have some questions on how it works and what is involved. Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
I don't know of any, but I once had a real estate agent give me a tour around a city looking for apartments. I think the nicer apartments offer a finder's fee to agents for new tenants. She didn't help me much except to help me confirm that I had already found the best place for me. You might contact a real estate agent office and see what they offer.

You might change your mind and buy.

Also, my friend at work rented his small homes on the Westside using Craigslist. He said its used a lot for the home rental market.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/search/apa

Old 06-26-2016, 07:26 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times
Why don't you just ask the questions and whoever can help will be able to answer them. There are many real estate agents and landlords (like myself) on this forum.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:42 AM

OK. So here we go. We are looking to move down the end of July. We have never rented before. So there is no rental history. Have no job lined up yet. I was going to wait until I got down there to get a job. But I have been looking and will be sending out resumes in the next couple of weeks. I would think it would be easier to get a job and do interviews when I am there versus 14 hours away like I am now. I have funds available to live for awhile. I have good credit. Wife not so much. Two children, 19 & 16 yrs old both coming down eventually. After looking at the process to get a rental through companies, it seems like I will have a hard time doing so. An apartment is really not an option. Have too much stuff. Freaking out here!!! I am 42 and leaving everything I know to try something new and succeed in an absolutely beautiful area!!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:50 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,631,272 times
Lot of people moving down needing a temporary place to store their things...storage unit facilities are popping up like crazy here. Yes, likely easier to get a job in person and being a month or more out employers may be looking for something more immediate. Before I moved down here several years ago I applied and did phone interviews, eventually got an in person one and they paid for me to drive and stay overnight here just for an interview...So you can try, just depends what field you're in though and employer. I ended up moving down to start work a full month before my wife did with just an air mattress and a TV, since the final move was a month out. All you need to get started. We rented a year before buying a house so we'd know where we wanted to settle. I don't remember the whole rental process but it was just some standard paper work and we were in pretty quickly. Good luck on your indevors and sorry I couldn't offer much on the rental process.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:55 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times
You'll definitely want to rent first and scope out what areas you like the best. The problem is that you are coming here and having no job. Many rentals/apartments will want to see at least one spouse working and having a steady income, it doesn't really matter if you have funds saved. Unless you can pay for a year's worth of rent, no landlord will look at you.

Someone can jump in and say something different, but I think it will be almost impossible to find an apartment or rental who will accept an application from a family who isn't working. With my tenants, I require first and last months rent for a security deposit and proof of steady income on a monthly basis.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
You'll definitely want to rent first and scope out what areas you like the best. The problem is that you are coming here and having no job. Many rentals/apartments will want to see at least one spouse working and having a steady income, it doesn't really matter if you have funds saved. Unless you can pay for a year's worth of rent, no landlord will look at you.

Someone can jump in and say something different, but I think it will be almost impossible to find an apartment or rental who will accept an application from a family who isn't working. With my tenants, I require first and last months rent for a security deposit and proof of steady income on a monthly basis.

I am not planning on buying for a couple of years. Have to make sure we like it and find the good areas. No question about that. I do have the ability to pay the first year upfront, but don't want to do that. Looking at jobs now. Have some calls to make tomorrow on a job and will go from there. I agree that things would be a lot easier with a job waiting

Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,877 times
The standard requirements when leasing a single family are as follows:

In Texas, anyone residing in the property over the age of 18 must complete an application. The non-refundable application fee varies by property.
*application fee is due at time of submittal
*upon approval security deposit is due within 24-48hrs (certified funds only) security deposit is equal to one month rent
*upon lease signing 1st months rent is due (certified funds only)
*Income 3 times monthly rent
*Verifiable employment or offer letter from employer
*2-4 pay statements
*copies of drivers license & social security cards

When I relocated, we moved into an apartment for 6 months and then leased a home until I purchased. If you have not secured employment prior to moving, temporary housing will be the easiest.

[Mod cut: soliciting] I can tell you that it will be a challenge to secure a single family residence without employment.

Last edited by elnina; 06-28-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:12 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobertson View Post
OK. So here we go. We are looking to move down the end of July. We have never rented before. So there is no rental history. Have no job lined up yet. I was going to wait until I got down there to get a job. But I have been looking and will be sending out resumes in the next couple of weeks. I would think it would be easier to get a job and do interviews when I am there versus 14 hours away like I am now. I have funds available to live for awhile. I have good credit. Wife not so much. Two children, 19 & 16 yrs old both coming down eventually. After looking at the process to get a rental through companies, it seems like I will have a hard time doing so. An apartment is really not an option. Have too much stuff. Freaking out here!!! I am 42 and leaving everything I know to try something new and succeed in an absolutely beautiful area!!
We had tons of stuff when we moved here and we rented a 3 bedroom apartment and put a ton of stuff in storage. Stayed there 3 months until we were stabilized and then moved into a house.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
If you go with a rental company or real estate agent, they are going to require you have a job. The only other possibility is showing a bank statement with a decent amount of money, if they accept that. You are most likely going to have to use Craigslist, FB sites or something similar. When we moved here, we did that and it worked out well. We didn't have jobs yet and my husband planned on starting his landscaping business here. We explained it to the landlord and she was fine with it. The rental market now is scarce. I see people asking for a place to rent all the time and can't find anything. That's not saying you can't but you have to be ready to move. You could also stay at an extended stay temporarily and put your stuff in storage. That will allow you to find a job and time to find a rental. It's not that bad if it's temporary.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: