Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 7,235 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Easley/Powdersville/Piedmont area this summer. Could someone give me some insight into the difference in the Powdersville vs. Wren Schools, all the way through high school? The Powdersville Elem. school website is much more informative than the Wren Elem. school as far as programs and clubs that are offered (STEM class weekly, strings class).

The issue we are finding is that there are many more housing options that fill our needs in the Wren zone, then the Powdersville zone (large lots under $300 K, not new subdivisions). We love Watsons Grove from what we have seen online so far.

We are coming down this weekend, so we will get a better idea of the area. Our main decision will be determined by the school.

I have read all the old threads about this area, but there hasn't been much since the area was rezoned a few years ago and Powdersville High opened.

Thanks for any current info. you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
IMO it's negligible. Both school systems get high marks, and if it wasn't for the Powdersville growth, everyone would be still going to Wren. I do believe the Wren system is a little larger population wise, and the Powdersville schools are newer, if that matters.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
A lot of real estate ads are inaccurate for schools listed. You can check an address here to see which schools are assigned for Anderson District 1:

School Information Locator

The schools throughtout the district tend to be very good. The quality of education between Wren and Powdersville will be very similar. They share a career and technology center with a couple of other high schools. Powdersville will start allowing students to attend Wren for ROTC next year.

You can really choose the home you like better for other factors and not worry between the two schools. For what it's worth, Watson Grove is assigned to Powdersville Schools.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,235 times
The zoning map is very helpful!

Do you think the programs are similar in all the schools in the district? I think I remember reading about a math/science institute in high school. Is that a district program? or individual school initiative?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradegirl68 View Post
The zoning map is very helpful!

Do you think the programs are similar in all the schools in the district? I think I remember reading about a math/science institute in high school. Is that a district program? or individual school initiative?
I've never heard of a math/science institute in any of the district 1 schools. Math tops out with AB Calculus at pretty much all of the District 1 schools. Most of them offer AP courses in Chemistry and Biology. Some of the larger schools in Greenville County like Wade Hapton and Mauldin have a more complete AP course offering mainly because they are larger schools.

The course offerings are very similar. ROTC being offered at Wren has been one of the only differences, and as I noted, that is going to be opened up to Powdersville Students next year.

One of my few gripes for Powdersville would be a lack of academic rigor in the science programs. That's coming from a Chemical Engineer, though, so my expectations are probably a bit skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area