Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 08:31 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
This one NDL or it's bigger brother. Both inexpensive and work great for me. Also I pick up UHF fine on it. This antenna solved my WLOS problem also.
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...vhf/dp/48Y8141
Beware this antenna is designed for High VHF. But it can also receive some strong UHF signals. A good combo antenna for UHF and High VHF is the Winegard 7694. A preamplifier such as Winegard LNA200 is also recommended. To receive Charlotte signals such as WBTV, a good UHF antenna is suggested. Also Clearstream 4V or 4MAX is a good UHF/VHF antenna. In Greenville, CBS, ABC, and PBS are all High VHF. NBC and FOX are UHF. The major Charlotte signals are UHF. Also a discreet flat panel UHF antenna with VHF dipole is the Antop 400BV. It works very good and is more aesthetically pleasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Beware this antenna is designed for High VHF. But it can also receive some strong UHF signals. A good combo antenna for UHF and High VHF is the Winegard 7694. A preamplifier such as Winegard LNA200 is also recommended. To receive Charlotte signals such as WBTV, a good UHF antenna is suggested. Also Clearstream 4V or 4MAX is a good UHF/VHF antenna. In Greenville, CBS, ABC, and PBS are all High VHF. NBC and FOX are UHF. The major Charlotte signals are UHF. Also a discreet flat panel UHF antenna with VHF dipole is the Antop 400BV. It works very good and is more aesthetically pleasing.
Thank you Sir, for taking the time to explain all of this, and to make recommendations The Antop unit is something that I can hide in plain sight, which would work well in an apartment.

Thanks!

I didn't even think about receiving Charlotte stations. We plan on living around the Mall area; is it possible for the antenna to capture north (Greenville), and east (Charlotte), at the same time? Is the Antop a multidirectional unit? I see that the Clearstream 4 can be so configured.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:52 AM

The Antop 400BV is a UHF flat panel with a VHF dipole. It comes with a SmartBoost amplifier which can be adjusted for high gain or low gain. And it comes with an indoor stand. The problematic local channel may be 13-WLOS from Asheville, which is ABC. And apartment reception can be challenging because the walls from the adjacent unit may block the signal. But you should get most of the GSP signals with proper placement. And you may also receive WBTV from Charlotte if the antenna is facing northeast and not blocked by walls or trees. The key is to be near a window and find a sweet spot to capture all directions.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:01 AM

My preference for local news is WYFF-4, the NBC affiliate owned by Hearst, and WBTV the CBS affiliate from Charlotte. I think WYFF is the most professional and they have the strongest economic backing from the corporate owners. Sinclair also which owns WLOS but they mostly cover Asheville and western NC. WBTV is the legacy station from Charlotte and they also have a professional presentation, although WSOC Channel 9 often covers the breaking police incidents with the helicopter a bit faster.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,608 times
WSPA in southeastern Anderson County is virtually non-existent. When I contacted WSPA, their response was, "Too bad. You can sign up for CBS All Access." I don't want to pay to watch today's programs, not to mention I still won't get live broadcasts (such as sports and news), or anything local. They put translators all over western NC, but here in the Upstate, if you ain't Spartanburg or Greenville, you ain't crap.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balewrangler View Post
WSPA in southeastern Anderson County is virtually non-existent. When I contacted WSPA, their response was, "Too bad. You can sign up for CBS All Access." I don't want to pay to watch today's programs, not to mention I still won't get live broadcasts (such as sports and news), or anything local. They put translators all over western NC, but here in the Upstate, if you ain't Spartanburg or Greenville, you ain't crap.
It's very hit or miss. On the east side of Spartanburg, we get nothing via indoor antenna. Nothing, not even WSPA. When we lived in Boiling Springs, we got everything under the sun, WLOS-13 included as well as several Charlotte stations. I don't want to deal with putting anything on the roof. The indoor antenna worked fine in Boiling Springs.

You actually do get live TV (Channel 7) with CBS All Access. On occasion, for some reason, it defaults to the CBS channel from Columbia, but there is always live CBS available.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
WSPA has recently added a translator serving Anderson County. It is a low power signal on channel 22, but when you rescan your tuner it will appear as 7 and 62. You may need a good UHF antenna and amplifier to receive this new signal.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
It's very hit or miss. On the east side of Spartanburg, we get nothing via indoor antenna. Nothing, not even WSPA. When we lived in Boiling Springs, we got everything under the sun, WLOS-13 included as well as several Charlotte stations. I don't want to deal with putting anything on the roof. The indoor antenna worked fine in Boiling Springs.

You actually do get live TV (Channel 7) with CBS All Access. On occasion, for some reason, it defaults to the CBS channel from Columbia, but there is always live CBS available.
You may have some sort of localized interference, from walls or trees. Because reception should be good in eastern Spartanburg County, including Charlotte channels. Antop 400BV is an excellent antenna that can be used indoors or outside. It is a UHF flat panel with a VHF dipole, indoor stand, and amplifier. Excellent performing antenna, and worth the initial expense. Sold on Amazon.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
If Media General did not divest WNEG-TV, then a CBS affiliate, coverage in Anderson County would not be a problem.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Media General did not divest WNEG-TV, then a CBS affiliate, coverage in Anderson County would not be a problem.
WNEG was a former sister station of WSPA, broadcasting on Channel 32 as a CBS affiliate for Northeast Georgia. It was sold by Media General to University of Georgia and became WUGA, carrying Georgia Public Television. Now known as WGTA, it is owned by Marquee Broadcasting and is the Atlanta affiliate of retro channel MeTV. But their over the air signal only reaches the fringes of metro Atlanta, although it is apparently carried as a subchannel of Atlanta station WUPA channel 69.

WGTA channel 32 still broadcasts from Toccoa, GA but is classified as serving the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville market, despite being branded as the Atlanta affiliate of MeTV. While their signal reaches Anderson, it really does not reach most areas of Greenville-Spartanburg, and barely reaches the fringes of metro Atlanta. And Northeast Georgia remains a fringe area for over the air reception from both Atlanta and Greenville-Spartanburg signals.

Many NE Georgia residents complain there are no Atlanta stations carried on cable or satellite, just GSP. So Georgia news coverage is limited, as the GSP stations focus on Upstate SC, and Asheville covers western NC. It seems it would have been smart for WGTA to focus on news from Anderson to Northeast Georgia, and remain a network affiliate also serving Toccoa. But that was not the plan, despite the call letters standing for "Greenville To Atlanta."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area