Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times

Advertisements

I'm as happy as I can be about the popularity of "big red" the flag embraced by The Citadel.Its a legitimate Confederate flag but with very local usage, and the haters don't use it.Thats good!One afternoon a bunch of Citadel cadets ,teenagers back then, were asked, "do you want to work on math equations this afternoon, or do you want to go shoot great big cannons at yankee ships that don't need to be down here"? I hear they were pretty good shots.Fly Big Red!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 08:34 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ummm...I drive a Z71.
So do I! But I don't think either of us are teenagers.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:56 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
So do I! But I don't think either of us are teenagers.
Lol...nope.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:32 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Exactly! What people are calling rednecks are not much more than teenagers with fish hooks in their hats driving Z71s with a rebel flag rigged up in the bed. I think a lot of people would be surprised that some of those "kids" come from rich parents who spoiled them.
Could be. My mother's origins were SC/GA farming stock. Baptists. Conservatives. Good hard working folks. I never saw any fascination with the flag or the Civil war other than my grandmother talked about picking up lots of mini balls as a kid and my great great great grandfather fought for the confederacy. I am certain they were not fond of race "mixing" but I don't recall any fear or animosity and I never heard anything overtly racist. I think most folks were that way in the South.

In Baltimore, where my fathers' folks were from, it was a lot more volatile and overtly racist, but extend that volititliy to other ethnic groups as well (Italians vs the Irish etc.) within the city. Out in the suburbs it was a bit more equal for those who could get there.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
I never said that there has never been any people on Main Street with a confederate flag.

I said that I have been going down there on a regular basis since 1996 and I have never seen any confederate flags. I rarely see one in the Upstate and SC in general, even the rural areas.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:42 PM

387 posts, read 331,171 times
Oh they're around. I quite often see a single truck or even a group of a few trucks with big flags on the back driving around in convoy. I've also seen KKK logos on contractor's trucks downtown but they weren't drawing attention to themselves like the flag wavers do. I don't like it but hate speech is free speech and flags and other symbols are included as speech.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:42 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
Oh they're around. I quite often see a single truck or even a group of a few trucks with big flags on the back driving around in convoy. I've also seen KKK logos on contractor's trucks downtown but they weren't drawing attention to themselves like the flag wavers do. I don't like it but hate speech is free speech and flags and other symbols are included as speech.
What does this KKK logo look like? If I was KKK, downtown is the last place I'd want to go.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM

387 posts, read 331,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
What does this KKK logo look like? If I was KKK, downtown is the last place I'd want to go.
The standard one is this... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_K...File%3AKKK.svg

If you didn't know what it was you wouldn't notice.

But I've also seen KKK logos made out of three assault rifles. Sure looked like KKK to me.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:41 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
The standard one is this... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_K...File%3AKKK.svg

If you didn't know what it was you wouldn't notice.

But I've also seen KKK logos made out of three assault rifles. Sure looked like KKK to me.
Okay. I'm familiar with this symbol. I've never seen it locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: