Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Duncan Town Council approved the first reading of an ordinance at their Tuesday, 8 August 2017, meeting that would place restrictions on yard sales. If the ordinance is passed in its second reading at Duncan Town Council's Tuesday, 12 September 2017, meeting, yard sales would require permits and would not be allowed on Sundays.

Further reading
Lavender, Chris. "Duncan proposes new rules for yard sales." Spartanburg Herald-Journal. 8 August 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
I can see why there might be a need to limit these kinds of sales in residential areas. I've seen a few homes on busier streets that have "yardsales" almost weekly, creating traffic issues and hassles for their neighbors on a frequent basis. I'm generally against added permits and regulation. Why not just limit these kinds of sales to no more than 3-4 a year per property or something similar without adding a permit which will require more unnecessary paperwork and cost for the town?

I don't understand the exclusion of Sundays. Municipalities should be removing the old Sunday blue law ordinances, not creating more of them.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Residences having weekly yard sales would be open frequent enough to operate as retail businesses. That opens the door to requiring business licenses.

I do not see problems with having yard sales on Sundays. Not everyone is able to attend yard sales on Saturdays.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Residences having weekly yard sales would be open frequent enough to operate as retail businesses. That opens the door to requiring business licenses.

I do not see problems with having yard sales on Sundays. Not everyone is able to attend yard sales on Saturdays.
All goes back to Jezus

Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 PM

214 posts, read 301,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I can see why there might be a need to limit these kinds of sales in residential areas. I've seen a few homes on busier streets that have "yardsales" almost weekly, creating traffic issues and hassles for their neighbors on a frequent basis. I'm generally against added permits and regulation. Why not just limit these kinds of sales to no more than 3-4 a year per property or something similar without adding a permit which will require more unnecessary paperwork and cost for the town?

I don't understand the exclusion of Sundays. Municipalities should be removing the old Sunday blue law ordinances, not creating more of them.
Without a permit, however, how would it be easily enforceable to ensure there isn't a weekly garage sale? I just can't see a limit of "x number of sales each year" being enforceable without permitting.

No Sunday sales is completely ridiculous.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Without a permit, however, how would it be easily enforceable to ensure there isn't a weekly garage sale? I just can't see a limit of "x number of sales each year" being enforceable without permitting.

No Sunday sales is completely ridiculous.
If this is really about a small number of individuals being a problem, you send the cops out to their sale and write them a warning each week. Once you have more then 4 warnings in a year, you could then write a ticket. If it is truly a small number of people like the article implies, that method would require less work and less intrusion than requiring a permit for each individual yard sale.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
All goes back to Jezus
Can those who don't believe in Jesus have G Sales on Sunday! Religious Jews can't go, or have a garage sale on Saturday's, so what's Jew to do? Though I highly doubt that would be a huge problem in Duncan.

In SoFla, where my parents live, the City Beautiful requires permits and has a lot of restrictions on what they will allow when having a garage sale. PLUS, you need to pay $31, so you better hope you make more than that to pay for the permit. Needless to say, it's a PITA to have one where they live. You are only allowed to have 2 a year, and cannot have 2 within a 30 day period. Forget trying to have en estate sale!

In the Miami-Dade, they tried enforcing not being able to put signs up on county property, whether it be a pole, a street sign, a right of way, median, etc. For a little bit of time they had code enforcement take your signs down if they saw them and come slap you with a fine for each sign. You were suppose to get a permit, but I don't think many people did it. But, that didn't last too long, they didn't have the manpower to have someone go do such menial work, collecting signs, and it fell to the wayside. At least that's how it was when I moved over 7 years ago.

I thought a good idea on the sign issue, is if you left your sign up more than 1 day after the sale, THEN you could get a fine for each sign left up. Again though, manpower just wouldn't be worth it.

In SoFla it's usually a one day sale, rarely do you see people do it for 2 days. Here in the Upstate, it seems quite common for 2 days. I find people here, for the most part, seem to remove their signs upon completing their sale. Much more courteous up here about that.

Use to love going to the sales but don't any more, I need to downsize and get rid of and have my own garage sale soon. But, once in a blue moon, if I'm passing one and have a hankering to stop, I will.

I hope Duncan can come up with a nice easy resolution and not be so restricted to residents with garage sales. I like WhitewaterVols idea, but think the police are needed elsewhere and don't need to do that as part of their job. County Code Enforcement would be better suited to do that.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Can those who don't believe in Jesus have G Sales on Sunday! Religious Jews can't go, or have a garage sale on Saturday's, so what's Jew to do? Though I highly doubt that would be a huge problem in Duncan.

In SoFla, where my parents live, the City Beautiful requires permits and has a lot of restrictions on what they will allow when having a garage sale. PLUS, you need to pay $31, so you better hope you make more than that to pay for the permit. Needless to say, it's a PITA to have one where they live. You are only allowed to have 2 a year, and cannot have 2 within a 30 day period. Forget trying to have en estate sale!

In the Miami-Dade, they tried enforcing not being able to put signs up on county property, whether it be a pole, a street sign, a right of way, median, etc. For a little bit of time they had code enforcement take your signs down if they saw them and come slap you with a fine for each sign. You were suppose to get a permit, but I don't think many people did it. But, that didn't last too long, they didn't have the manpower to have someone go do such menial work, collecting signs, and it fell to the wayside. At least that's how it was when I moved over 7 years ago.

I thought a good idea on the sign issue, is if you left your sign up more than 1 day after the sale, THEN you could get a fine for each sign left up. Again though, manpower just wouldn't be worth it.

In SoFla it's usually a one day sale, rarely do you see people do it for 2 days. Here in the Upstate, it seems quite common for 2 days. I find people here, for the most part, seem to remove their signs upon completing their sale. Much more courteous up here about that.

Use to love going to the sales but don't any more, I need to downsize and get rid of and have my own garage sale soon. But, once in a blue moon, if I'm passing one and have a hankering to stop, I will.

I hope Duncan can come up with a nice easy resolution and not be so restricted to residents with garage sales. I like WhitewaterVols idea, but think the police are needed elsewhere and don't need to do that as part of their job. County Code Enforcement would be better suited to do that.

Just my 2 cents.
Code enforcement might be a better resource.

For your previous point of fining for signs not being worth the effort - just increase the amount of the fine until it becomes profitable for the municipality. I would honestly like to see that for the cheap disposable roadside signs in general. It looks junky to have 10-15 cheap plastic signs in various states of decay at every major intersection in the area. If I need to lose weight in 30 days, hire a handyman, buy mulch, or sell my home for cash, I'll ask friends and family for references - I won't be using the guy on the cheap plastic sign. Political signs are a whole other issue. I think there were more signs posted for the last special election in Anderson county than votes in the election.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM

Do the Town of Duncan and Spartanburg County have ordinances limiting how long signs can remain at intersections, along roads, utility posts, and street signage?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM

214 posts, read 301,177 times
There is no way I'd want the cops of any city I'm living in to be forced into yard sale duty tickets when there is always more pressing concerns for them to worry about. Code enforcement is good, but then you possibly get into overtime issues with having them work on a weekend - which is why I'd be for a small fee for a permit to offset that overtime.

In the town where we live half the year and own our house, there is a garage sale ordinance, new as of 2012 due to the never-ending garage sales some were running. A permit is $5 and allows for 3 signs. If the signs don't come down at the end of the sale, they can't get another permit. Maximum of 3 sales per year. They are supposed to be for a maximum of 3 days, but most people do a Thursday-Sunday sale and it's accepted by the city.

IIRC, for about the first year of the ordinance, they had code enforcement out on the weekends to enforce/inform. Since then, we've never seen anyone making the rounds to check for permits.

Of all of the stupid ordinances we have, the garage sale is one that I've never heard a complaint about. Hopefully Duncan can work out something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area