Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times

Advertisements

never been there but have heard people call it "the place with all the hippies".
apparently it's very artsy. I believe their slogan is "where weird is normal".

Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
asheville is known as being sort of a east coast san fransisco. it, along with vermont, is the most liberal place on the east coast. there is really no diversity there. there is quite a bit of crime as well and drug use is very common. homeless people are everywhere and it just isn't as clean as greenville, which I feel was a much more diverse place. I suggest visiting both places. I did. there were things I liked about asheville, but just found greenville to be much nicer! I have talked to some liberals who like asheville much better because of all the "artsy" people there. I just prefer to be in a place without a panhandler on every corner.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Well said, jmarquise.

Guestposter24, your attempts to keep all newcomers from moving here would be more convicing if you showed a bit of respect for their backgrounds. You cannot adequately deny that Greenville is a very diverse and continually diversifying city with people from virtually every background imaginable. Sure, you could likely find more people in the metro from a particular "mold," but that is rapidly changing, and nothing anyone says will change it from happening. The best bet for someone who doesn't want change is to learn to accept it. If that is not an option (because someone is too hard headed), then there are other places to live where change is an uncommon occurrance... you have the freedom to move there.

FYI: BJU's presence in the city is not as negatively affective as outsiders assume it is. When it comes to certain important elements of society, such as the Fine Arts for example, the school has greatly enhanced Greenville's passion and status.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 AM

I actually ran into some christians when I was in greenville a couple of weeks ago. they didn't come up to me and tell me to repent or I was doomed. they gave me a fake $1,000,000 bill and said, "there's a message on the back." I said thanks and shook their hand. that was it. they were very friendly.

my biggest concern with liberals relocating to the south is that taxes are going to skyrocket. I live in wilmington, nc, and all the people from up in new england said they moved to nc because of the high taxes in ny. in the years I have been here my taxes have increased incredibly. that is my biggest concern. I like the low taxes!. oh, and skyliner, you take some great pictures!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Well said, jmarquise.

Guestposter24, your attempts to keep all newcomers from moving here would be more convicing if you showed a bit of respect for their backgrounds. You cannot adequately deny that Greenville is a very diverse and continually diversifying city with people from virtually every background imaginable. Sure, you could likely find more people in the metro from a particular "mold," but that is rapidly changing, and nothing anyone says will change it from happening. The best bet for someone who doesn't want change is to learn to accept it. If that is not an option (because someone is too hard headed), then there are other places to live where change is an uncommon occurrance... you have the freedom to move there.

FYI: BJU's presence in the city is not as negatively affective as outsiders assume it is. When it comes to certain important elements of society, such as the Fine Arts for example, the school has greatly enhanced Greenville's passion and status.
I'm not sure when I disrespected anybody's background.

I would like to "re-think" an what I said earlier. While this area is conservative there are liberals. I would say (could be wrong though) that they are usually in the black community. I suppose I don't have as many black people in my social circle (just a fact) so I honestly didn't think about that.

I used BJU more as a sign that this is a conservative place. But even a lot of Christians think BJU people are... let's say overkill. (not that I don't don't know nice people from there)

All I know is that I can't remember too many times when I met a liberal.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
I am a white guy liberal in Greenville. My next-door neighbors are liberal. The family two doors down has a Hillary sign in their yard - there's another one just down the street next door to a house with an Obama sign in the window. We're here.
Drinking Liberally - Chapters

Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM

sounds like you live in an all liberal neighborhood!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM

267 posts, read 330,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
what's wrong with Asheville?
hahahaha, now THAT's funny.

Asheville was nice 10 years ago. Now it's an over priced tourist trap/retirement home.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM

192 posts, read 607,664 times
Default Huh?

Guestposter really doesnt get it...please just ignore his posts.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 PM

hehehehehe jelloslug! I totally agree. the difference between asheville and greenville seems to be paying a lot more money to live in a more crime riddled area. those numbers don't work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area