Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Greenville County breaking up into two school districts?
Yes, it's too big to only have 1 school district 18 40.00%
No, it's fine. Leave it the way that it is. 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:08 PM

143 posts, read 206,868 times

Advertisements

I would recommend keeping the district intact, but two transportation districts, if that is possible? In that way, if inclement weather impacts half the county, the decision to have school would be determined by the transportation plan. In my mind (and I may be wrong!), if you have two districts, that would make it more difficult for students and teachers to change schools, and it may impact school funding. Or am I off key? (Note, I never learned how to read music, lol. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
I would recommend keeping the district intact, but two transportation districts, if that is possible? In that way, if inclement weather impacts half the county, the decision to have school would be determined by the transportation plan. In my mind (and I may be wrong!), if you have two districts, that would make it more difficult for students and teachers to change schools, and it may impact school funding. Or am I off key? (Note, I never learned how to read music, lol. )
Only problem is it's not always the north that gets the worse end of the stick in terms of weather. Nor is the county always cut in half in terms of bad weather.

There could be a situation where there's ice in Traveler's Rest and Five Forks, but yet Greenville is fine. What would you do? Plus there's still the issue of teachers living all over the Upstate and putting them on the roads. If you close the southern end, northern end teachers who live below 85 still would have to drive on the roads.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

There could be a situation where there's ice in Traveler's Rest and Five Forks, but yet Greenville is fine. What would you do? Plus there's still the issue of teachers living all over the Upstate and putting them on the roads. If you close the southern end, northern end teachers who live below 85 still would have to drive on the roads.
When has that happened? When would that ever happen? If it does, close the whole county.

I don't understand the argument that teachers have to get to work because WE ALL HAVE TO GET TO WORK ON THOSE DAYS, that is unless school is canceled and we have to stay home, miss work, and watch the kids. What makes teachers so special that they need to be shielded from driving to work when other employees around the county still have to get to work?

The 4 days of missed work in January was devastating to poor families in this area. When you're barely making ends meet, missing that much pay means impossible decisions have to made - decisions about how to feed your family.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
When has that happened? When would that ever happen? If it does, close the whole county.

I don't understand the argument that teachers have to get to work because WE ALL HAVE TO GET TO WORK ON THOSE DAYS, that is unless school is canceled and we have to stay home, miss work, and watch the kids. What makes teachers so special that they need to be shielded from driving to work when other employees around the county still have to get to work?

The 4 days of missed work in January was devastating to poor families in this area. When you're barely making ends meet, missing that much pay means impossible decisions have to made - decisions about how to feed your family.

I think the issue with teachers is that they have a certain number of personal days that they can take during the year. If a large number of teachers use a personal day due to bad roads, substitutes need to be called in. If there aren't enough substitutes to cover the need, what happens with the students? It certainly doesn't create a good learning environment.

Parents need to figure out a back-up plan. Maybe it is trading childcare with a friend, maybe it is having a local high school student watch the kids on snow days. These parents must have some sort of plan for after school and the summers, right?

Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:

Often. February 12, 2014, Greenwood, Laurens, southern Greenville got more snow than Tigerville, Greer, and Westminster. February 2015, Greenville got more snow, but Greenwood got more ice. 2014 storm, the middle of Greenville got more accumulation than the ends. The weather is unpredictable every winter. We just got December snow. Not too long ago we got snow in March. And it's not just about the snow, but the ice, which everywhere in the Upstate is susceptible to.

The debate is about schools. Who works at schools? Not accountants, lawyers, and bartenders. If there's severe weather, I don't think anyone should be on the roads. We're not used to it nor equipped for it. Students are scattered about, teachers are scattered about, rich and poor families are scattered about. There is no exact cutoff line north south, east west.

You're making assumptions about poor families, and yet you still ignore the possibility of split districts causing unequal treatment within counties. Lexington 1 and 4 is probably the worst display of disparity in the state. The district 4 kids don't have Taj Mahal schools, IB, and 8 languages to learn like the district 1 kids because they're stupider. They don't get the same resources, or attention.

Houston was literally Atlantis for 2 weeks, yet two days of missed of school and we lose our minds. We get off lucky compared to others. Students miss school days, it happens every school year all over the country. You think drawing an imaginary line will end that, but it won't.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:

I agree with you on these points. Everyone has to get to work even if there is inclement weather. If you feel endangered by the bad roads, call out. It is devastating to poor families missing work, even just one day a month. Many people with younger kids do have a back up plan of daycare but what happens when the daycare closes as well? It just snowballs.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:14 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Weren't all the districts in Spartanburg County closed the same amount of time as Greenville County the last go around? I can't find anything conclusive. But going based on the Winter Weather thread, they were. Kind of seems to kind of defeat the point of the argument people are making here.

Its all about liability with the schools. The last thing any of these administrators want is something like this going viral, especially now that everybody as video camera in their pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTySDzqPlKU

Old 02-03-2018, 12:15 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
There is another side to this argument. Buy the equipment to make the county move during inclement weather!

Old 02-03-2018, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 150,081 times
No. 2x districts = 2x Administrators = 2x TAXES.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 PM

387 posts, read 331,113 times
I don't think this idea is going to go anywhere any time soon, but I'm chiming in to add that many area daycares follow the county schools for closure decisions, which often means daycares closed in downtown when there is no problem on the roads in that area. Presumably this is for the reason that it saves them having to make a decision themselves and it might even save themselves money when they stay closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area