Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:34 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
Great recommendations, thanks everyone!

Yes, I did mean Spring 2019 for visiting. I would love to get out there sooner but time off and such did not allow for a visit the rest of this year. Spring seems like it would be a good time to visit.
Spring is a very nice time, but the pollen and allergies are absolutely brutal so make sure to BYOC (bring your own claritin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times
Quote:
Great recommendations, thanks everyone!

Yes, I did mean Spring 2019 for visiting. I would love to get out there sooner but time off and such did not allow for a visit the rest of this year. Spring seems like it would be a good time to visit.
If you use Instagram or Facebook, I’d follow GVLtoday. They have one for charleston too - CHStoday. For ideas and events going on plus new bars and restaurants.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM

230 posts, read 230,611 times
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Old 07-21-2018, 03:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times
Quote:
I can't imagine a worse city to live in politically than where I came from, Portland, Oregon. Rioting, burning buildings, and regular violent demonstrations in downtown are a nightly occurrence. I tend to be a live and let live and not involve myself in others people business, politically or otherwise.
There is an occasional political protest in downtown Greenville but none have involved violence or burning things. The worst one was the BLM protest during which some of them blocked traffic downtown.

The protest time is typically announced in the local media the week before so it is easy to avoid being downtown when they occur.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-21-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM

That's good to know @ClemVegas. I am all for peaceful demonstration, but Portland got out of hand. I have really quite taken to the South and politics. It's much more bearable. Obviously the heat does not bother me, and I love the food in the south!

Old 07-23-2018, 11:57 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
If you are considering coming in spring, Artisphere happens in April and is a lot of fun. There is a Greek festival in the spring as well.

There is a lot to do in the area - what is best for you will depend a lot on your individual interests.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM

387 posts, read 331,231 times
Pretty sure Artisphere has been mid-May for the last few years? It is definitely a nice event!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
Pretty sure Artisphere has been mid-May for the last few years? It is definitely a nice event!
It is. It's always on or around Mother's Day.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 PM

387 posts, read 331,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It is. It's always on or around Mother's Day.
I should have looked it up: May 10-12, 2019.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:44 PM

That event sounds pretty rad! That's a good time in our schedule to visit as well, I will look into that. Our city does a similar event and we always have fun seeing the local art.

Personal interests are simple: ANYTHING OUTSIDE, specifically hiking,(backpacking) kayaking, fishing (catch and release, not much for eating them, unless it's the Salmon season) waterfalls, rivers, floating, gardening, trail running, even something as simple as a wooded nature trail in the proximity. This is a large pull of why I think I will enjoy the area.

As the saying goes, "Wherever you go, there you are." So I figure why not be where I enjoy the outdoors. We like the south in general, but there is just nothing to do in our area that we enjoy. Dallas is a vibrant, world class city, but we are not all that cosmopolitan. I think I saw another poster on here inquiring about Greenville (or any other suggested city which could be a good match) as desiring a small city/big town. It's a great combination to be able to have a wonderful dinner one evening, then pack up the next morning and head to the mountains or the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area