Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 PM

56 posts, read 57,918 times

Advertisements

It seems like everytime new leadership gets elected in Mauldin, they go another direction. Seven or so years ago they started planting trees and adding streetlights along Hwy 276 in their attempt to look like Simpsonville. At the time I thought it was like putting lipstick on a pig but I thought that may be they had a plan. Now years later you still have a trailer sales and a mishmash of converted residences and old worn out businesses. Wait, now we're going to have this neat modern downtown with all the bells and whistles. We've got a new development going in on Forrester Dr, the same Forrester drive that backs up a mile or so each morning. Meanwhile we've got old Butler Rd, that also backs up for a mile every morning. They didn't want to widen it because I think they wanted to retain that small town feel, even though it goes by the new modern artist concept downtown.
All of this and they can't do one thing, resurface Butler Rd so you can drive down it without dodging potholes and broken pavement. When I have out of town visitors I'm actually ashamed to take them down Old Mill and Butler.
Every election, I always vote for someone new thinking they will show a little sense but maybe my thinking on that is wrong. Maybe they need 20+ years in office before they can gel their plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 PM

632 posts, read 748,693 times
The more things change, the more they remain the same. Mauldin has always been a paradox of intent versus reality. When I heard of the plan to create a whole "downtown" for themselves, the word "Potemkin" was the first thing that popped into my mind. You can only do so much with a traffic ticket based economy.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:15 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
The more things change, the more they remain the same. Mauldin has always been a paradox of intent versus reality. When I heard of the plan to create a whole "downtown" for themselves, the word "Potemkin" was the first thing that popped into my mind. You can only do so much with a traffic ticket based economy.
LOL...Mauldin's #1 economic revenue: traffic tickets...even my wife (who is an incredibly safe driver) rec'd a "stern warning" for "failure to signal her lane change" (um, she did)...

Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 PM

Drf
In 1976, when CB radios were in, I was in transit from Northern CA to Savannah Ga, for a change of duty stations. About mid Arizona, a voice came across the radio mentioning my tag being from SC. I acknowledged and the next question was had I ever been to Mauldin. When I said I had once lived there, the whole convoy erupted. Out of ten Semi trucks in the group, all but one driver had been ticketed there. The one who hadn't was a fresh hire..... headed to Mauldin

In the early 80's J.D Hollingswrth hired a youg salesman and sent him to Berry Ford in Ft Inn to pickup his company car. The new guy was supposed to report back in when he had done so. As the day got late, the guy had never returned, so the HR guy began trying to track him down. He was located in Mauldin's jail with a charge of auto theft. Now reclusive John D was perhaps the least recognizable guy you'd ever encounter. So when he walked into the PD , no one on duty knew who he was. He asked wha tthe bail was on his guy and was given a figure. John shelled off cash and asked for a receipt, only to be informed that they di dnot issue receipts for cash bonds.

John kept his legendary temper under control and safely extracted the confused young guy from custody. When he got back to his plant he called his good friend Strom Thurmond and explained things. The next morning SLED was sitting in the Mauldin Police chief's office, asking for an explanation. A whole fresh can of hell was opened that day.

Mauldin licked its lips the whole time I-385 was being built. When it was officially opened, Mauldin almost immediately set up a traffic ambush and began feeding. That went on for a few days until the SCHD got wind of it. Mauldin was officially barred from writing tickets on I-385. I'm not sure if the ban is still in effect, but there was a lot of grumbling from Mauldin about it, for years.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:57 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Drf
In 1976, when CB radios were in, I was in transit from Northern CA to Savannah Ga, for a change of duty stations. About mid Arizona, a voice came across the radio mentioning my tag being from SC. I acknowledged and the next question was had I ever been to Mauldin. When I said I had once lived there, the whole convoy erupted. Out of ten Semi trucks in the group, all but one driver had been ticketed there. The one who hadn't was a fresh hire..... headed to Mauldin

In the early 80's J.D Hollingswrth hired a youg salesman and sent him to Berry Ford in Ft Inn to pickup his company car. The new guy was supposed to report back in when he had done so. As the day got late, the guy had never returned, so the HR guy began trying to track him down. He was located in Mauldin's jail with a charge of auto theft. Now reclusive John D was perhaps the least recognizable guy you'd ever encounter. So when he walked into the PD , no one on duty knew who he was. He asked wha tthe bail was on his guy and was given a figure. John shelled off cash and asked for a receipt, only to be informed that they di dnot issue receipts for cash bonds.

John kept his legendary temper under control and safely extracted the confused young guy from custody. When he got back to his plant he called his good friend Strom Thurmond and explained things. The next morning SLED was sitting in the Mauldin Police chief's office, asking for an explanation. A whole fresh can of hell was opened that day.

Mauldin licked its lips the whole time I-385 was being built. When it was officially opened, Mauldin almost immediately set up a traffic ambush and began feeding. That went on for a few days until the SCHD got wind of it. Mauldin was officially barred from writing tickets on I-385. I'm not sure if the ban is still in effect, but there was a lot of grumbling from Mauldin about it, for years.
Another very interesting story. I actually rarely see Mauldin police on 385, so perhaps the ban is still in place. I dislike having all of these little governments in what is essentially Greenville to me anyways. Just so much stuff going on that isn't right.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:11 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
The MPD operates less as a speed trap and revenue generator these days, and more as high visibility in heavy traffic areas. Perhaps the only exception would be the section of E Butler between the high school and 385 which still does heavily enforce speed.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob864 View Post
Meanwhile we've got old Butler Rd, that also backs up for a mile every morning. They didn't want to widen it because I think they wanted to retain that small town feel, even though it goes by the new modern artist concept downtown.
East Butler Road's long-term plan is to be widened from two to four lanes from Main Street to Corn Road/Bridges Road.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 PM

401 posts, read 379,338 times
Quote:
Drf

Thanks for sharing. One thing I'm not sure about. I don't think the SC Highway Patrol can stop a municipal police force from writing tickets on a road that goes through the city limits of said municipal police force. I see Mauldin PD sitting under the various bridges over 385 that are within their jurisdiction running radar. Same with Simpsonville.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM

As i said before, I'm not sure if the ban still exists or not. All I know is that they were denied jurisdiction at the time. It was quite a big chuckle, when it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area