Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 PM

26 posts, read 23,516 times

Advertisements

We recently moved here and live in Spaulding Farm, near Roper Mountain Road and Hwy 14. I've been trying to figure out the flight paths for takeoffs and landings at GSP. There doesn't seem to be any schedule that I can discern. Sometimes I hear planes starting about 6 a.m., and sometimes not. Other days there's activity in the late afternoon, but not every day. Do the flight paths change that frequently, and if so, why? Weather, winds, or something else?

We moved here from Orange County, CA. My office was in Irvine, right across the freeway from John Wayne airport. You could practically set your watch to the flight activity there. Planes always take off to the west, over the ocean, and land from east to west. This only reverses when there are Santa Ana winds (hot winds that blow in from the desert), usually only a few days each year.

Thanks for any info on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,842,664 times
I live 5.5 miles southwest of the airport, near Woodruff Road, and I have just recently noticed planes waking me up at 6am, and they do seem to be getting louder over the years. However you are right, they do not seem to be consistent at all. Some days I won't notice any and another day I'll notice four or five really loud ones.

Maybe they intentionally cycle the areas they set up landing paths through so nobody has to deal with it every day?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Greenville Spartanburg International Airport: Environs

Spaulding Farm will be in line with the proposed second runway.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
There aren't that many passenger flights per day to or from GSP. Winds and the like can affect which direction flights are arriving/departing. But, they do start about 6am.

Other things.. GSP is not the only airport. You've got the downtown airport, which it sounds like you might be right in the path of as well.. And there's also Donaldson Center.. Generally there, you wind up seeing the C-130's and the like, but.. Apparently soon you will be seeing fighter jets coming and going from there as well.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Greenville Spartanburg International Airport: Environs

Spaulding Farm will be in line with the proposed second runway.
A second runway? Interesting. I couldn't get much from the link.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Orange County is under special restrictions by the FAA to reduce observable noise.Take offs are steeper and usually over the water.Landings are unaffected.GSP has no such restrictions.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM

68 posts, read 68,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
There aren't that many passenger flights per day to or from GSP. Winds and the like can affect which direction flights are arriving/departing. But, they do start about 6am.
Not sure what your definition of "arent that many" is, but there are close to 100 passenger flights to or from GSP. That's a pretty good amount in my book!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 PM

68 posts, read 68,419 times
Flights start out of GSP right before 6am and the last scheduled arrival is around 12:27am. Winds do effect which way they takeoff or land. Sometimes the path will be real close to you. Sometimes they go the other way. You can track flight paths at Greenville/Spartanburg Intl Airport (Greer, SC) KGSP / GSP Flight Tracker

Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
A second runway? Interesting. I couldn't get much from the link.
Image: Airport Environs Zone

You can make out the proposed second runway south and parallel to the existing 4/22 runway based on decibels and the outline.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 AM

308 posts, read 269,757 times
Military aircraft also use GSP sometimes for flight training. I'd be surprised if you see that second runway within the next 10 years. I bet the studies, permitting, resident opposition, and construction would take 10 years by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area