Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM

308 posts, read 270,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
In my view, one of the bigger flaws with this intersection is that they did not go ahead and redesign the Woodruff Road intersections while this project was underway. Both the Woodruff / I-85 and Woodruff / I-385 intersections are in dire need of improvement and it would have made a lot of sense to do that while traffic was already disrupted for this project. Doing it later will create yet another disruption and cost even more than doing it during this project. You could also add the Laurens Road / I-85 interchange, which features an outmoded, dangerous design.
Yes, this was indeed a big oversight. So what if the ramps are lengthened if the interchanges can't handle the volume of traffic.

I live north of the interchange so my views are skewed to that end, but right now the project is in its worst configuration for southbound 85 to 385/Woodruff. Having to wait until you pass the Roper Mountain Bridge to exit into a single lane causes a huge backup throughout the day, and has caused many many accidents as well. Opening the new exit lanes before Roper Mountain will be an enormous benefit to southbound 85 traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:08 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
This. I also have been very unhappy with this problem. It takes me 10-20 minutes longer to get to that area on the weekends due to the traffic on Woodruff Road from both Roper Mountain or the Greenridge area. I used that exit regularly and it really as been a huge pain since it has been gone.

There are thousands of exits at large interstate intersections around the country that have handled this well. Surely it could have been done in a way that could have eliminated a short exit ramp here as well. I don't see this as a legitimate reason for having taken it away. I think the huge exit ramp from the I-385 to I-85 could have had a split off that feed into the now much larger ramp without even interfering with I-85 at all. There are ways it could have been done.
It could have been done but it would have likely required redesign of both Woodruff Road interchanges, which they scoped out of this project. There isn't a lot of space in that area to incorporate the required grade change between both ramps and both interstates.

I wish they would have kept this access and re-worked the Woodruff Road interchanges in the process. Now we have to hope that they will re-incorporate that access when the Woodruff Road interchanges are re-done but that is likely to be 10-15 years from now. Whenever it happens, it will cause another disruption of the traffic flow in this area and an additional expense. It would have been cheaper in the long run to fix it all at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area