Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the mainstream grocers, which grocery store chain are you partial to?
Harris Teeter 3 7.50%
Publix 19 47.50%
Lowe’s Foods 2 5.00%
Food Lion 2 5.00%
Bi Lo 1 2.50%
Ingles Market 4 10.00%
Walmart/Costco/Sams Club 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
WWV you are dead on right about the Easley Aldi and Quicktrip.If you leave and turn right you might be okay, but turning left you are screwed.
We need to turn left out of that parking lot to get back home. If we turn right, we have to drive several miles out of the way to get back home. Turning left is a bit better there since they dis some minor adjustments to the intersection a few months ago but it is still a pain. It's almost easier to turn right and then do a u-turn but then you have to sit through 2 cycles of the light. I don't think Aldi did their homework before picking that location. It is honestly more convenient for me to shop at the Aldi just off of I-85 at Pleasantburg on the way home from work although that is also a bit out of the way. I'd love to have an Aldi in Powdersville but that seems unlikely to happen for a while.

I really wish there was a frontage or back road that connected the businesses there back to Rock Springs Road but that isn't likely to happen since the Repentagon owns a large parcel back in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAndersonCo View Post
If you are talking about the new big Ingles in Powdersvile, I gotta say that that is a nice store. Though I live in Anderson, I sometimes drive through Powdersville, and so stopped at the Ingles on the way home. The customer service was good and it had a bit more of a selection than the Ingles I usually go to.
I was talking about the Ingles in Powdersville. We also occasionally shop at the 2 stores in Easley, which were also remodeled in the last few years and are also very nice stores. Ingles also remodeled most of the Anderson stores in recent years and those are also quite nice. Those stores are as nice as the Publix stores in the area and have a really good selection of local produce, and specialty items. The Powdersville store has a huge selection of cheese, Kosher, and Asian items. The produce section is also large and they put some effort in highlighting local and organic items. They also have a large craft beer and wine selection. Heck, they have an entire cooler devoted to Kombucha which seems weird to me but it is popular right now.

A month or so ago I went into the Ingles in Berea as it was on the way home on a trip back from Asheville and it just reminded me how not-so-nice the older Ingles stores are. If that was the closest Ingles to me, I would never shop there. Ingles has a real split personality in the Upstate. They have some really nice stores that have been remodeled in the last 5-10 years. They also have quite a few older stores like the ones in Mauldin and Simpsonville that are cramped and dingy. The Moonville store is near where I work and until last year it still had the original 70s "disco" decor. They did a very minor remodel in there to repaint the 70s colors but they didn't do anything beyond that very minor investment. They really need to invest to bring those older stores up to the standard of their newer stores. Right now it is almost like they have 2 different grocery chains. If I lived in Mauldin or Simpsonville, my impression of Ingles would be very negative.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 AM

181 posts, read 132,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I was talking about the Ingles in Powdersville. We also occasionally shop at the 2 stores in Easley, which were also remodeled in the last few years and are also very nice stores. Ingles also remodeled most of the Anderson stores in recent years and those are also quite nice. Those stores are as nice as the Publix stores in the area and have a really good selection of local produce, and specialty items. The Powdersville store has a huge selection of cheese, Kosher, and Asian items. The produce section is also large and they put some effort in highlighting local and organic items. They also have a large craft beer and wine selection. Heck, they have an entire cooler devoted to Kombucha which seems weird to me but it is popular right now.

A month or so ago I went into the Ingles in Berea as it was on the way home on a trip back from Asheville and it just reminded me how not-so-nice the older Ingles stores are. If that was the closest Ingles to me, I would never shop there. Ingles has a real split personality in the Upstate. They have some really nice stores that have been remodeled in the last 5-10 years. They also have quite a few older stores like the ones in Mauldin and Simpsonville that are cramped and dingy. The Moonville store is near where I work and until last year it still had the original 70s "disco" decor. They did a very minor remodel in there to repaint the 70s colors but they didn't do anything beyond that very minor investment. They really need to invest to bring those older stores up to the standard of their newer stores. Right now it is almost like they have 2 different grocery chains. If I lived in Mauldin or Simpsonville, my impression of Ingles would be very negative.
Don't forget that sometimes if the stores get so out of date, then it would be better to just put a new store up (like what they did in Boiling Springs).

Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Of the stores listed, I have been most "loyal" to Ingles over the last few years, although my use of that word in the context of this poll doesn't reflect its true definition. I would like to vote for Lowe's Foods, but their local stores are currently a little out of my way. If Sprouts was included as an option, then I would definitely vote for them. I love the variety of grocery brands represented in Greenville today. A few of my other favorites include Publix, Whole Foods Market (diminished since Amazon takeover), Trader Joe's, The Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, and Aldi/Lidl. I would consider Earth Fare if I lived in the Pelham Road/I-85 area, but several nice options are located within a short distance of that area.

Last edited by Skyliner; 03-14-2019 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Added Publix

Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
My closest Ingle’s is the one in Mauldin which looks like a tornado went through it .

Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM

181 posts, read 132,691 times
Hahaha. Definetly could use some renovation at the Mauldin store.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:51 PM

453 posts, read 646,498 times
And it’s still nicer than the one in Simpsonville!

Old 03-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
And it’s still nicer than the one in Simpsonville!
Those 2 Ingles stores are pretty crummy. It's a real stark contrast to go into one of those stores and then the new store in Powdersville. Hard to believe they are stores in the same chain.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:42 AM

604 posts, read 583,609 times
We shop pretty much everywhere, except Lowes, HT, and FL, as we don't have one anywhere near us. Mostly, it's WM, Publix, Ingles, and Aldi. Throw in a few jaunts to Lidl and TJ as well. Different stores have different strengths, plus we're always on a budget.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,010,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
We shop pretty much everywhere, except Lowes, HT, and FL, as we don't have one anywhere near us. Mostly, it's WM, Publix, Ingles, and Aldi. Throw in a few jaunts to Lidl and TJ as well. Different stores have different strengths, plus we're always on a budget.
That's just it. Most people shop the stores more often closest to where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area