Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,049 times

Advertisements

i am seeing a ton of info on Greenville (btw, the sunday pictures were amazing, thank you!), but not too much on Easley, which is where me and my husband are looking to move to. we are from Florida and have both been here most of our lives. we are in our 40's - all the kids are grown up and moved out, so now it's just us and the dog. I lived in Pennsylvania for a short time and loved it, but can't get my husband to go quite that far north (I think he is afraid of the snow, which he has never experienced first hand )

I have been all over the internet researching the area, but truth to tell, you get more information directly from people than you ever would from a web site geared to show you only those things they want you to see.

Any information would be appreciated. and I do mean ANYTHING ... i want to know what the local stores are, how are the prices of gas there, any experience in the various apartments (we will be renting an apartment at first) ... and thank you everyone.

Feleyra43
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,812,252 times
I can help you out seeing how I live in the Easley area. Gas is some of the cheapest in the nation here due to the gas tax being among one of the lowest in the nation. Ignore Exxon-Mobil and go to Pumpers or Ingles instead seeing how they're cheaper. Both are located on Highway 123 in Easley. Last time I checked which was a few days ago, it was $3.08 for a gallon of unleaded.

There is a new shopping center under construction in Easley also along Highway 123 that will include Walmart, Kohl's, Ross, Shoe Carnival, Bed Bath & Beyond, Office Depot, Petsmart or Petco, possibly Best Buy along with Michaels., and several others not yet announced. Information about that development can be found here: Cedarwood Development - Projects

One thing you will notice in Easley is a lot of check cashing places. They're mostly located on the west side of town. This is due to the fact that is a working community. It's not a crime ridden area or anything though.

Lots of restaurants have opened recently in Easley including Outback Steakhouse, Copper River Grill, and Golden Corral. More will be coming too thanks to Easley Town Center. Other retail/restaurant establishments include JC Penney, Belks, Lowes, Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Staples, grocery stores, movie theater, and everything else of the like. There are also tons of local retail/restaurant establishments along highway 123 and downtown.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 AM

511 posts, read 1,523,407 times
Default apartments

There is an apartment complex right across from where G-Man is talking about the new shopping center also. I believe it is called Hunters Woods. Correct me if I am wrong. We have a small downtown as well where you will find some quaint shops and restaurants. Check out Serendipity for lunch and don't miss the Chicken Corn Chowder at Brenda Kay's.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 AM

221 posts, read 1,033,142 times
Easley is becoming more and more a commuter town, as many folks live there and drive into near by Greenville for work.

The town is essentially devided into its older and newer sections. For years, 93 was the major highway between Greenville and Clemson, and the strip of 93 through Easley is its downtown area. Its a typical "downtown" with old timey store fronts and such.

At somepoint, they put in Hwy 123 from Greenville to Clemson that cut off alot of traffic on 93 through the downtown area. I believe this was sometime in the 70's but I'm not sure. 123 has grown into a commerical shopping district, with many businesses and restaurants as g-man indicated.

Because of the numbers of commuters, traffic on 123 can be a problem during rush hours, especially if there is an accident.

Easley is a medium sized town now. You can get most things done there with out needing to go to a bigger place like Greenville, but its really nice to be so close to Greenville for Concerts and sporting events.

I found it kind of hard to shop for apartments in Easley because they have several Section 8a housing developments that only rent to folks with a limited income. The other apartments I found there seemed to be a bit over priced for their quality, when compared to the apartments in Greenville. I think there's less competition among the apartments in Easley, so they feel like they can charge a little more.

When I was shopping for apartments in the area, I opted to live in Greenville despite the slightly longer commute when compared to Easley because I enjoyed being closer to the events and better shopping in Greenville, and the rent was cheaper.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,049 times
eek, section 8 housing never even occurred to me. not that it bothers me all that much, but it may seriously disqualify us from certain apartment complexes. thank you forthe heads up on that, i'll start calling around. we will be making a trip up there the end of May and will be staying in a hotel along 123 (with our dog ) hopefully, i'll get a better idea of what we need then.

thank you everyone !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area