Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:04 AM

33 posts, read 235,145 times

Advertisements

Staples and Publix do not directly compete with small time main street establishments. I can see how these establishments would bring business downtown. They are destinations shops that people seek out to buy neccessities. While they are here, they might purchase something extra from downtown or make a day of it.

Donuts, however, do not represent destination shopping - people will not be drawn to the area because they can get a donut. A donut is not a major attraction. And now the people who are drawn downtown to get their groceries or office products can spend their money with a corporate giant rather than a local establishment.

And, actually, municipalities have a lot of control over the businesses that can occupy downtown areas. Greenville has put forth tremendous effort to create and maintain a beautiful downtown with shops that reflect local flavor.

I agree with URaNut - Dunkin Donuts belongs in a strip mall. I don't care if they do have leather seats and two stories - You can find them in any town. Greenville is a rare place due to its lack of homogeneaity - if you allow that to sell out you will no longer be special - the big guys will be here to stay.

As more people discover Greenville for what it is, you will realize the most valuable thing you have going for you is your unique and charming downtown. You should protect it rather than sell it out.

Last edited by mrnini; 07-12-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
And what about a Border's Bookstore? Would you be against that too? People are so naive sometimes. Who cares if it's a donut shoppe or not. It's filling another empty tenant space downtown and that's all that matters. Starbucks is downtown and that hasn't killed Coffee Underground. Liquid Highway is coming downtown to the Hyatt. Spill the Beans is expanding. I thought you said national tenants would kill the locals. Starbucks has done the opposite. Don't forget about O'Cha Tea Bar reopening. The donut isn't the attraction. It's the word "national" that is. I'll make sure to walk in there and sit on one of the leather seats with my laptop when they open just to make you mad. Oh and another Starbucks is coming to the Courtyard by Marriott development too. I do agree though that no more sandwich/coffee shops are needed downtown, but i'm still glad to see Dunkin Donuts put a flagship store on Main Street.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-12-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:24 AM

33 posts, read 235,145 times
Why do you keep bringing up Border's Bookstore? Even if there are no current bookstores downtown, a Border's will firmly occupy the market. If a Border's opens downtown it will not create a better opportunity for small-timers to open a bookstore as well - it will destroy that opportunity.

There is more to city planning than occupying empty tenant space. Nobody with any foresight wants Main Street to look like Haywood Mall.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 AM

Because I can. That's why. Bentleys Bookstore was downtown and they shut down. Was there a Borders downtown then? No. A Borders or Barnes and Noble will help out the locals that currently don't compete with bookstores downtown which is all of them. What's wrong with Main Street looking like Haywood Mall? It would drive more people downtown to shop and eat. It would also increase the city's tax base. Did you look at downtown Palo Alto, CA yet? It has local and national tenants downtown. If it can work there then it can work here. Starbuck's is downtown and that hasn't killed the coffee shops off. In fact the local ones are expanding. Now why would they be expanding if they weren't doing well? Let's see. Maybe because they are doing very well instead. What makes you think a Borders or Barnes and Noble would kill the chance for a local bookstore to come downtown if Starbuck's hasn't killed off the local coffee shops? Think about that for a few minutes.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Looky here. Liquid Highway is coming downtown: GreenvilleOnline.com - Powered by The Greenville News and you - YourUpstate - Greer firm to Construction Manage Downtown Liquid Highway Project - (7/7/2008) I thought you said the nationals like Starbuck's would kill the locals. Looks like it's doing the opposite to me. O'Cha didn't reopen. Spill the Beans isn't expanding. It's all a dream I tell you. You have to understand national retailers/restaurants like these don't have the same effect on locals as Walmart does. Walmart sells products very cheap unlike the stores at Haywood Mall and that's why the locals are still able to compete and even expand. The only way the nationals would kill the locals is with rent rates. Just look at downtown Palo Alto, CA for proof that both can co-exist in one place.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Don't worry, g-man, not everyone is against you here. I can't wait for DD to open too! The local stores that are able to keep customers coming (such as Coffee Underground) are great and places like that will never shut down. If a store/restaurant isn't able to do that, though, then I could care less if they close. I understand the importance of having unique shops, restaurants, etc, but if a larger store can be supported then I'm all for it. I just got back from NYC and it's so nice being able to go into a Best Buy, Old Navy, Staples, etc without having to drive 15 minutes or more to a mall (especially if you live near downtown, like I do).

Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 AM

I would LOVE to have a Best Buy downtown. No more Woodruff Road would be heaven. I wouldn't mind if they kicked out Staples for one. I'm glad you agree with me p2y2r7o. Most other people especially on urbanplanet would too. They understand that both can co-exist in one place unlike some people who refuse to look at the facts over opinions.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,860 times
I think you understand, because you've made my point for me over and over with your responses. You said that rents will increase as soon as the heavy's come to town. I suppose that will help the little guy when soon occupation will be very difficult if not impossible for him to acheive.

You've repeatedly mentioned that more of a market share will somehow create more of a market and it will increase business for the independent competitors. The market is finite!! Once I bought my double yummie and my mocha supreme I guess I will somehow patronize the other smaller joints.

I think it's time to stop peddling your wishful thinking and talk to these small independants about how they feel about the heavy's coming in and controlling the market. The highlight of my trips to Main is talking to these wonderful shop owners, I spend hours in this pursuit (this is local flavor, and why I return). Perhaps you would like to be waited on by some underpaid clerk who really doesn't want to be there dressed like a donut!

The charm of downtown is what seperates Greenville from any other town. Give that up and Greenville can never distinguish itself - all beause you don't want to drive 15 minutes.

You really need to speak to the little man before you continue to embarrass yourself.

Last edited by URaNut; 07-12-2008 at 01:11 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 01:09 AM

If a local retailer/restaurant can't survive with high rent rates then idios amigo is what I would say. It's a very tough market out there. Only 3% of start up retailers/restaurants survive so seeing that many open downtown is nothing short of amazing. If they don't know how to compete with the nationals in terms of price and local advertisement then they shouldn't be here in the first place. That's how the real world works. Economics 101 at its finest. I'll put it in bold for you naysayers: If the locals can survive in downtown Palo Alto, CA with the nationals where rent rates are through the roof then why can't they here? Oh wait. They can. Not all of them will survive but most will and that's that. Dunkin Donuts is coming downtown. You can either complain about it which is stupid IMO seeing how the city already approved it and there's nothing you can do about it or you can welcome them with open arms. It's your choice. Oh and uranut, you said rent rates are going to become a challenge for the locals. Why is Spill the Beans expanding then if rent rates are going up? Answer that one.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:24 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
I ate at a small, local pizza place in NYC today that was within 50 feet from a Best Buy, Staples, Game Stop, Petco, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Proof that a local establishment can survive if it's good and brings in customers and can pay to stay. The place was busy the whole time we were there. I'm 100% for keeping every store that's downtown Greenville there, but not just for the sake of having the independent places. They have to earn their right to be there and make me want to shop/eat there over the national chains. If they can't do that why would I want them there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area