Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think a NASCAR or IndyCar race in the Greenville area would work?
Yes 3 20.00%
No 11 73.33%
Only NASCAR 1 6.67%
Only IndyCar 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 12:13 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times

Advertisements

A well-known NASCAR YouTuber from the Greenville area, S1apSh0es, has suggested putting a NASCAR race in the Greenville area, given since the Greenville-Spartanburg area draws so well with TV ratings for NASCAR and even IndyCar.

His suggestion in this video is of putting a race at Greenville Downtown Airport. He has done a video discussing the matter and why he thinks Greenville deserves a NASCAR race.

What are your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/nAKcE8wIf-k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 12:40 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Uhhh…

Old 07-11-2021, 05:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
A bit too close to Charlotte, Atlanta and Darlington races.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:24 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
"Talledega" was suppose to be built in Greenville, but to build one now, nope. Plus, theres just not enough interest any more in Nascar to make it profitable.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:43 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
"Talledega" was suppose to be built in Greenville, but to build one now, nope. Plus, theres just not enough interest any more in Nascar to make it profitable.
That was Spartanburg not Greenville, but that was also a long time ago. This is even more of a far stretch than the WNBA team possibly coming to Greenville that I heard about last night.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
That was Spartanburg not Greenville, but that was also a long time ago. This is even more of a far stretch than the WNBA team possibly coming to Greenville that I heard about last night.
Thats right, dont know why I put Greenville! I do wonder if it had been built if it would have been closed like all the local dirt tracks were in Spartanburg county.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:23 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Thats right, dont know why I put Greenville! I do wonder if it had been built if it would have been closed like all the local dirt tracks were in Spartanburg county.
That's a good question.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:54 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
That's a good question.

First off, on the original question.. I don't really see any way it could happen. We don't have the infrastructure for it. GPS would be more logical.. They've raced there in the past, but it would need a whole lotta work and is too far from the interstate.

But.. That *IS* a good question.. Anyone care to skew off on that tangent a bit?

Let's assume, because I believe it's accurate, that the track would be the same as it is today, just in Spartanburg vs Talladega, AL. Spartanburg wouldn't kick out the tax revenue that place would generate.

So.. What would GSP look like? It would have to have been upgraded I would think. Probably a helipad. Or would that have kinda stayed with the downtown airport and general aviation? If it had gone to GSP, would downtown have shifted general aviation more to GSP?

Liquor laws in SC.. Would they have changed? I have to believe they would have been under tremendous pressure to allow Sunday sales.. At least beer/wine at the track. We didn't have that even start here until the 90's, I believe. I suspect, but can't prove, that Alabama probably got started down that road (They have similar laws to SC regarding alcohol) DUE to the track.

Hotels.. You'd think there'd have to be significantly more.

I-85 between Charlotte and Greenville would probably be 6 to 8 lanes all the way.. The whole Gaffney I-85 mess would have had to have been corrected.

Just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh.. BMW.. Would they still have located here.. And.. would they have been the first? There's a pretty significant auto industry around Birmingham, Talladega, Gadsden and Chattanooga, TN. And even a transmission plant in.. Right on the GA/AL border. Honda, I believe. Might some of that have shifted more towards this area? Would Carroll Campbell have pushed so hard to land BMW in that event?

Old 07-12-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
First off, on the original question.. I don't really see any way it could happen. We don't have the infrastructure for it. GPS would be more logical.. They've raced there in the past, but it would need a whole lotta work and is too far from the interstate.

But.. That *IS* a good question.. Anyone care to skew off on that tangent a bit?

Let's assume, because I believe it's accurate, that the track would be the same as it is today, just in Spartanburg vs Talladega, AL. Spartanburg wouldn't kick out the tax revenue that place would generate.

So.. What would GSP look like? It would have to have been upgraded I would think. Probably a helipad. Or would that have kinda stayed with the downtown airport and general aviation? If it had gone to GSP, would downtown have shifted general aviation more to GSP?

Liquor laws in SC.. Would they have changed? I have to believe they would have been under tremendous pressure to allow Sunday sales.. At least beer/wine at the track. We didn't have that even start here until the 90's, I believe. I suspect, but can't prove, that Alabama probably got started down that road (They have similar laws to SC regarding alcohol) DUE to the track.

Hotels.. You'd think there'd have to be significantly more.

I-85 between Charlotte and Greenville would probably be 6 to 8 lanes all the way.. The whole Gaffney I-85 mess would have had to have been corrected.

Just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh.. BMW.. Would they still have located here.. And.. would they have been the first? There's a pretty significant auto industry around Birmingham, Talladega, Gadsden and Chattanooga, TN. And even a transmission plant in.. Right on the GA/AL border. Honda, I believe. Might some of that have shifted more towards this area? Would Carroll Campbell have pushed so hard to land BMW in that event?
I think its more likely most of what is in place now would be in place, and the track would have gone the way of North Wilksboro and The Rock.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:02 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
I think its more likely most of what is in place now would be in place, and the track would have gone the way of North Wilksboro and The Rock.

If it didn't go away in Talladega.. why would it go away being in Spartanburg?

As close as we are to Charlotte, 'Dega is to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area