Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:00 AM

84 posts, read 155,908 times

Advertisements

So I grew up in Anderson in the 70s and 80s but live in Central NC these days...still have family in the area so still make trips down there every so often....just trying to recall memories from years past...
Some of the random memories from the 70s & 80s:
--Dragons Den Chinese restaurant in Anderson Mall (with the fountain with change tossed in)
--Magic Shop near Dragons Den also in Anderson Mall
--Speaking of Anderson Mall: I have vague memories before it was expanded past food court.
--I also remember an arcade in said food court.
--Eating at Po-Folks Restaurant.
--Getting great hamburgers & milkshakes at Bestos.
--Grandmother taking me Halloween costume shopping at Kmart (with lunch at Kmart Diner).
--Grandmother collecting A&P food stamps and shopping at local A&P.
--Going to elementary school at Concord & middle school at McCants (old McCants around 86).
--Attending Central Presbyterian Church.
--Rollerskating at Skateland? I think it was called.
Just a few of the memories from my youth in Anderson.
Feel free to add your own or expound on any of my above memories.
Thanks & Happy Thursday to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 09:07 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
I remember Mom moving there in maybe 84 ro 85, but thats about it. I went to the mall a couple of times, remember the police officer getting killed and the twin bridges being named after him, but his name escapes me at the moment. Mom died. sister still lives there out near Stone Creek Cove golf course. I dont go into town much, I cant even think of the last time I was in town. I was out 81 when Mom died, and I think thats the last time I was close to town.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I remember Mom moving there in maybe 84 ro 85, but thats about it. I went to the mall a couple of times, remember the police officer getting killed and the twin bridges being named after him, but his name escapes me at the moment. Mom died. sister still lives there out near Stone Creek Cove golf course. I dont go into town much, I cant even think of the last time I was in town. I was out 81 when Mom died, and I think thats the last time I was close to town.
After my parents split up in 86 my mom, sis and I moved up here to NC. I grew up along Millgate Road and grandmother had a townhouse on Marshall Ave near the hospital. I also remember grandmother taking me for lunch at the Wendys near the old hospital as well. I just remembered a pharmacy with an old fashioned soda fountain in it. Can't remember the name though.

Thanks for your post! I do have vague memories of the PD officer situation.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:05 AM

Chris Taylor in 1992. I thought it was earlier than that.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:44 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Wasn't there a water park somewhere there in the mid 70's to early 80's? I swear I recall when I was very young going to one that way.. One of those parks where they had the slides that you went down on the rubber/plastic mats?

Old 02-24-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wasn't there a water park somewhere there in the mid 70's to early 80's? I swear I recall when I was very young going to one that way.. One of those parks where they had the slides that you went down on the rubber/plastic mats?
Ya know, Ive been thinking for years that was in Greer or Taylors, somewhere on, what is it, 29? But now that you say that, I do seem to recall something over that way and we would stop on our way back from camping over the weekend at what is now, or was property owned by YMCA of Greenville. It was leased by Cryovac back in those days.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:08 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

As a small child I vaguely remember one of those near Belton of all places that my grands took us to. It may have been called "Slip N Slide"

Old 02-25-2022, 08:18 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
As a small child I vaguely remember one of those near Belton of all places that my grands took us to. It may have been called "Slip N Slide"

I can buy that.. We came from Abbeville, so I just know it was over in that direction.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
OMG, all these years!!! YES, YES, YES! It was the Slip N Dip! We would come back home on Sundays down 76 then hit some other road to take un to the Slip N Dip! coming back home from camping. Im going to my sisters this weekend ,I may just come home tha tway and see if its still there!! Thanks for mentioning that!!!!

Old 02-25-2022, 09:29 AM

Found this online

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area