Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 11:35 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

https://www.wspa.com/news/local-news...dept-of-labor/

Interesting. I just don't get how these restaurants think that they can get away with this. I mean, it's pretty cut and dried. Someone works over 40 hours, they're getting overtime.

I wonder if this was a 'management' situation.. Where they tried to claim someone was exempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 01:17 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
I thought restaurant workers all made $2- or so an hour and made basically all their income on tips? And if that's so how does the 1.5x overtime even work?

Old 06-02-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I thought restaurant workers all made $2- or so an hour and made basically all their income on tips? And if that's so how does the 1.5x overtime even work?

If they work over 40 hours, they get $2.13 + 1.07 per hour for every hour over 40.

And the restaurant "has" to track their tips to verify that they make at least.. $10.88/hr when taking tips and base pay into equation.

Now. Honestly.. Few restaurants actually track that properly.. But, they should.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:43 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If they work over 40 hours, they get $2.13 + 1.07 per hour for every hour over 40.

And the restaurant "has" to track their tips to verify that they make at least.. $10.88/hr when taking tips and base pay into equation.

Now. Honestly.. Few restaurants actually track that properly.. But, they should.
But it's hard to imagine how they ran up a half a milllion dollars worth of paying people $2/hour instead of $3/hour.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:49 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
But it's hard to imagine how they ran up a half a milllion dollars worth of paying people $2/hour instead of $3/hour.
You take into consideration that it was for 215 people; it comes out to 2637 per person. Depending on how long the people were working there it would work out easily.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:54 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I suspect this may just be a simple mistake, OR someone higher up the totem pole not knowing what the policy is.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You take into consideration that it was for 215 people; it comes out to 2637 per person. Depending on how long the people were working there it would work out easily.

I tend to agree with both of you here.. But.. My gut tells me this is a situation where they said "You're a manager, you're exempt" and.. That person wasn't exempt.

It's not uncommon at all, at least USED to not be, that a restaurant manager would work 60-80 hours a week.

And, saying that they are exempt is.. Pretty common as well. when I worked Domino's back in college in the 90's.. That's what they did to managers there. Paid them a crappy salary, and they were supposed to put in 60-80 hours, which made their pay about $5/hour.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:35 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
The new owners purchased Tipsy about 3 years ago I wonder if this problem goes back to the previous owners too.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:43 PM

428 posts, read 362,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.wspa.com/news/local-news...dept-of-labor/

Interesting. I just don't get how these restaurants think that they can get away with this. I mean, it's pretty cut and dried. Someone works over 40 hours, they're getting overtime.

I wonder if this was a 'management' situation.. Where they tried to claim someone was exempt.
Happens all the time. When I worked at Hobby Town the owner had to pay one of his employees back OT because he just never did it. I remember the owner was raising hell claiming that it was BS and he "doesn't pay over time" as if it was his right to not pay it. He owed the guy like 15k. The worker ( who was a little slow) didn't know any better and another employee who had quit on bad terms had dropped a dime on the company.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Happens all the time. When I worked at Hobby Town the owner had to pay one of his employees back OT because he just never did it. I remember the owner was raising hell claiming that it was BS and he "doesn't pay over time" as if it was his right to not pay it. He owed the guy like 15k. The worker ( who was a little slow) didn't know any better and another employee who had quit on bad terms had dropped a dime on the company.

Good for that employee. And ex-employee.

Look.. I don't think every situation is "Bad ownership" and the employee is always the one getting screwed over. But.. You work people, you pay them.

The number one rule in just about any business. You NEVER miss payroll. Rule #2 is.. You don't screw with peoples pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area