Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 09:49 AM

128 posts, read 76,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbi View Post
My current agent did shopping for me, I called another agency and they did some research for me as well (came back with a different company, Selective, never heard of them), I searched online a little bit (AAA were $500 more expensive than my current renewal with lesser coverage), and after all that research unfortunately my 25% higher Auto is the cheapest and also the best coverage we were able to find. Home went up from $1200 to $1500. It's insane. We left Massachusetts 2 years ago paying like you expect in a communist state and our rates "down south" are fast approaching those of the northeast.
I am just glad we can still blame Covid for everything

If you think Massachusetts is communist, perhaps you should look up the definition of communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 01:48 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
While lower rates are enticing, if ever do need to file a claim, you will want a company that will give you the lowest amount of grief.

The few claims I have filed with USAA over decades have been the easiest and quickest processing. It gives me peace of mind that USAA will be there if there ever is a need.

Yeah, they gave me the runaround a bit on the rental car glass.. But.. I've only ever had about 3 claims with them, and 2 of them were glass.

When the deer hit me.. The repair shop was awful to deal with, but USAA was fine.

When a woman hit me in the QT parking lot because she was blindly reversing across the entrance.. She told her insurance that I ran into her.. I had provided USAA with my dashcam footage and they used that to shut it down.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had provided USAA with my dashcam footage and they used that to shut it down.

What kind of dash cam do you have? Do you like it? Would you buy it again? I've had two that both died within a year (one cheap and one not cheap) and I was hesitant to buy another one after that, despite that I'd like to have one.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:45 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
What kind of dash cam do you have? Do you like it? Would you buy it again? I've had two that both died within a year (one cheap and one not cheap) and I was hesitant to buy another one after that, despite that I'd like to have one.

Don't even remember. I've had the thing about 8 years..

It did die once about 3 years ago.. I sent it off and had it repaired. It's tough on them where they sit.. Usually right in the sun and with temps in cars around here.. I've probably gotten better life out of it than I should have.

I think it's a Thinkware. Anyway.. you don't need the best one in the world. Generally, front view is all you'd need. Someone hits you from behind.. You can tell. It was about $150 back in the day. It's only a 1080, not one of the newer 2k/4k models.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Don't even remember. I've had the thing about 8 years..

It did die once about 3 years ago.. I sent it off and had it repaired. It's tough on them where they sit.. Usually right in the sun and with temps in cars around here.. I've probably gotten better life out of it than I should have.

I think it's a Thinkware. Anyway.. you don't need the best one in the world. Generally, front view is all you'd need. Someone hits you from behind.. You can tell. It was about $150 back in the day. It's only a 1080, not one of the newer 2k/4k models.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-03-2023, 06:13 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Most curious to me is that North Carolina is 6th cheapest in the nation at $1307. What could it be that makes South Carolina 80% more expensive than North Carolina?

SC is not 80% more accident prone or 80% more likely to DUI. I wouldn't guess vehicle inspection makes such a huge difference. I suspect NC has some kind of law limiting liability in accidents.

I looked up some statistics this morning and South Carolina is among the most dangerous states to drive in. Specifically our highway-deaths-per-100Mmiles-driven is 2.08 whereas North Carolina's is 1.41, so we are 49% higher. On this particular statistic we are the highest in the country. Other years we are 2nd or 3rd.

One likely reason for this I have been going on about is that, at least from where I drive in the Upstate, our roads are dangerously underpoliced. People speed down 385 each morning doing 20+ over the limit with impunity. People run red lights all the time.

And, even worse, a huge thing I've noticed lately is TONS of people very obviously smoking weed while driving. I was driving my kids to church on Sunday morning and the car in front of us is very openly smoking weed stinking up our van behind them.

I used to go for runs down a country road on my lunch break, but I stopped doing this because people were blowing weed smoke out of their cars going 55mph six feet next to me, and I fear for my life.

As I drive in to work early in the morning I can smell weed smoke from night-shift workers driving home.

I know the police are busy, but come on!

Old 10-03-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I looked up some statistics this morning and South Carolina is among the most dangerous states to drive in. Specifically our highway-deaths-per-100Mmiles-driven is 2.08 whereas North Carolina's is 1.41, so we are 49% higher. On this particular statistic we are the highest in the country. Other years we are 2nd or 3rd.

One likely reason for this I have been going on about is that, at least from where I drive in the Upstate, our roads are dangerously underpoliced. People speed down 385 each morning doing 20+ over the limit with impunity. People run red lights all the time.

And, even worse, a huge thing I've noticed lately is TONS of people very obviously smoking weed while driving. I was driving my kids to church on Sunday morning and the car in front of us is very openly smoking weed stinking up our van behind them.

I used to go for runs down a country road on my lunch break, but I stopped doing this because people were blowing weed smoke out of their cars going 55mph six feet next to me, and I fear for my life.

As I drive in to work early in the morning I can smell weed smoke from night-shift workers driving home.

I know the police are busy, but come on!
I'd much rather the guy in the car next to me be smoking weed than drinking alcohol...

Old 10-03-2023, 04:22 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Not weed dude. You dont have your windows down when youre burning one. More likely its vaps.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:46 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Not weed dude. You dont have your windows down when youre burning one. More likely its vaps.
Maybe I'm really out of the loop. Are there vapes that smell exactly like burning weed?

Old 10-04-2023, 08:50 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm really out of the loop. Are there vapes that smell exactly like burning weed?
Some of them do, yes. Or at the least make you think its weed burning. The biggest thing Ive seen with a lot of the vapes is the amount of "smoke" they make. Since I quit smoking, I cant stand to be around even the vapes.

Its either vapes, or Im the one out of the loop. We never had the window down, even in the summer, when smoking weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area