Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 08:31 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times

Advertisements

Mr. Labonte reminded me in the other thread that the Golden Chick unfortunately failed in the Upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 02:00 AM

423 posts, read 898,585 times
I’m showing my age here….

Back in the 80’s I loved D’Lites on Laurens Rd in a location that was originally Fazoli’s. D’Lites was a lower calorie/lower fat burger franchise. The burgers were were very lean and not greasy at all and the fries were oven-baked. The condiments were lower calories and fat also.

I also liked the original Orange Julius that also had food. I still remember how good the Chimichili dog was. It was a hot dog wiener with chili and cheese covered in a fried pastry. It was a cross between a chimichanga and a hot dog. That was around in the 80’s and 90’s.

I also loved the J.D. Doublecrust Pizza that was in Haywood Plaza. I think it was where Portofino’s is now, but it could have been in a smaller space on the same end. I can’t remember if it was there at the same time as Longhorn Steakhouse.

It may have already been mentioned, but where iron Hill Brewery is now there was originally a Swensen’s ice cream parlor and then a Bennigan’s restaurant, both of which I liked.

On the corner of Laurens Rd and Woodruff Rd there was a T-Bonz where Bojangles is now, but building was torn down after it sat empty for several years. I think I remember that originally they had a chicken salad melt that was made with toasted raisin bread that I liked. That sandwich was either at T-Bonz or Cracker Barrel. There was some kind of sandwich at T-Bonz that I liked. I remember that after they took it off the menu I didn’t go there any more.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:35 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,010,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I’m showing my age here….

Back in the 80’s I loved D’Lites on Laurens Rd in a location that was originally Fazoli’s. D’Lites was a lower calorie/lower fat burger franchise. The burgers were were very lean and not greasy at all and the fries were oven-baked. The condiments were lower calories and fat also.

I also loved the J.D. Doublecrust Pizza that was in Haywood Plaza. I think it was where Portofino’s is now, but it could have been in a smaller space on the same end. I can’t remember if it was there at the same time as Longhorn Steakhouse.
I remember all of those back in the 80's and into the 90's. You are correct that JD Doublecrust was in the end spot where Portofino's is now when TJMaxx was in that plaza.

I believe the D'Lites building was original to them back then. I don't think Fazoli's was around prior to the 90's (at least not in SC). That building that recently housed Taco Bell on Laurens may have been originally D' Lites but I can't remember . It's twin is on Wade Hampton in front of the old Kmart plaza. There was also a Rax roast beef on Laurens Rd which may have been in that building and on Wade Hampton. Maybe Rax took over those buildings after D'Lites closed or D' Lites was in a different building that was razed on the pad where McDonald's sits now. I can't remember.

There was also a Boston Market further down in front of where the 2nd and Charles book store is now.
Boston Market had several locations that failed in Greenville.

Some info I found on D'Lites with the old logo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Lites

Check out # 2 in this article about fast food places you wish that you could eat in again. That D'Lites building looks very similar to the closed Taco Bell building on Laurens Rd and the building on Wade Hampton. https://www.metv.com/lists/8-fast-fo...d-eat-at-again

Last edited by vistatiger; 09-20-2023 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-20-2023, 07:58 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Interesting that Hardee's acquisitions led to the decline of several good competitors, such as Sandy's and Burger Chef. But fortunately Roy Rogers barely survived, although Hardee's almost destroyed them also.

But this begs the question, were there ever any Burger Chef locations in the Upstate or the Carolinas? They featured charbroiled burgers, a toppings bar like Roy Rogers, and a Big Shef double burger with special sauce like Big Boy and Big Mac.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:07 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Interesting that Hardee's acquisitions led to the decline of several good competitors, such as Sandy's and Burger Chef. But fortunately Roy Rogers barely survived, although Hardee's almost destroyed them also.

But this begs the question, were there ever any Burger Chef locations in the Upstate or the Carolinas? They featured charbroiled burgers, a toppings bar like Roy Rogers, and a Big Shef double burger with special sauce like Big Boy and Big Mac.
Yeah.. Burger Chef was all over. I know the Hardee's in.. Roebuck, I believe, was an original Burger Chef.

Now, I'm assuming the Hardee's in Roebuck is still there. Haven't been that way in quite some time.

The old, I think it was Hardee's #5.. The one that was at Augusta and Pleasantburg before the interstate and that whole area was redone in the late 90's.. That was a Burger Chef.

There was one at 701 Wade Hampton, which, if addresses are still the same, is where Dixie Restaurant is on Wade Hampton now. Though, I believe it's been demo'ed and rebuilt?

If you see the inside, it's pretty easy to tell a Hardee's that is a converted Burger Chef.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:30 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,010,765 times
There was a Burger Chef in Greenwood that became a Hardee's.

I'm thinking the Dixie Family Restaurant on Wade Hampton near Church st was also a Burger Chef. The shape of the building certainly looks like it. It became a Petee's or Pete's or something for years before the Dixie moved over from Poinsett Hwy.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:33 AM

428 posts, read 362,154 times
We lived in Woodbridge, VA in the early 90s. Ate at Roy Rogers several times. Great fried chicken.

Seems like it's mostly restaurants/fast food that fails. It is one of the hardest businesses to maintain and be successful at.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
We lived in Woodbridge, VA in the early 90s. Ate at Roy Rogers several times. Great fried chicken.

Seems like it's mostly restaurants/fast food that fails. It is one of the hardest businesses to maintain and be successful at.

Oh.. No.. not at all.

We could probably fill 15 pages of listing downtown restaurants that have gone under for various reasons. And most, if not all of those were local, not franchises.

I mean.. No idea if they were franchised locations or not, but.. Ruby Tuesday is another one we could add to the list.

And. Yes.. I am probably another who can speak to having actually eaten at Roy Rogers before.. I was up in VA at the time they got bought by Hardee's.. I remember one of them just down the road from Manassas Mall was a Roy's.. Which then switched to a Hardee's, which, there was already one of those in the parking lot of Manassas Mall.. Then it changed back to Roy's.. Then it became a McDonalds, which.. It still was at least as of 5 years ago or so.. Though it had been rebuilt, I believe. Either with the change to McDonalds or shortly afterwards.

And yes.. Stonewall Jackson class of '91. And yes, I know it's not Stonewall anymore, but.. I graduated from Stonewall. Though I more claim Robinson in Fairfax, since I transferred for my senior year.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:37 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. Burger Chef was all over. I know the Hardee's in.. Roebuck, I believe, was an original Burger Chef.

Now, I'm assuming the Hardee's in Roebuck is still there. Haven't been that way in quite some time.

The old, I think it was Hardee's #5.. The one that was at Augusta and Pleasantburg before the interstate and that whole area was redone in the late 90's.. That was a Burger Chef.

There was one at 701 Wade Hampton, which, if addresses are still the same, is where Dixie Restaurant is on Wade Hampton now. Though, I believe it's been demo'ed and rebuilt?

If you see the inside, it's pretty easy to tell a Hardee's that is a converted Burger Chef.
You talking about the one at 221 & Blackstock? Thats always been a Hardees. Seems though there was one closer in to Roebuck years ago, near the bowling alley.

Old 09-20-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
You talking about the one at 221 & Blackstock? Thats always been a Hardees. Seems though there was one closer in to Roebuck years ago, near the bowling alley.

Now that I pull it up on a streetview map, you might be right. I've been out of the Hardee's business for over 20 years now.. So.. The memory isn't what it once was. There was certainly one somewhere near there if it wasn't that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area