Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,730 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Asheville (have been there for 9+ years) and am wondering about the Greenville/Spartanburg area regarding housing/jobs/and cultural/political diversity. Asheville is a great city but the housing costs are way too high for the wages which are the among the lowest in NC as it's economy is so very heavily based on tourism. How is the cost of living in the upstate (particularly close in to greenville/spartanburg and not so much the outlying areas). I'm wondering about the nightlife and also how diverse it is here relative to Asheville. I'm 30, somewhat left of center politically(but not to the extreme) and enjoy the nightlife on the weekends, and keeping my options open just in case I need to leave AVL. If my post is too generalized let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
We just moved to Simpsonville and I cant relate costs to Asheville because I have not lived there since 93 but I FULLY understand your post because cost and jobs were why we moved away in the first place.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Asheville is supposed to have a higher cost of living than Greenville. Ask yourself first if you can work in Greenville or if keeping a job in Asheville and commuting from Northern Greenville County would be better. This is a terrible time to be looking for a job anywhere.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:07 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,837 times
We moved down here (Boiling Springs) in June. I had been commuting from AVL to Spartanburg for about 9 months before that. Simply put, we could afford to buy a nice house here, and we couldn't in Asheville. Gas is less expensive, taxes are a bit lower too. I make more money here than I did in Asheville. My wife's salary here isn't quite as high, but we are happier here than we were in Asheville. There is much more large industry down here, but it still is very difficult to find a job. Unemployment is high.

We are slightly left of center politically, and that is definitely not the norm here. I've learned to keep my mouth shut around the office. There was no gloating after the election, I'll say that.

There are things we miss about Asheville, but all in all, our life is better down here.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 10,917 times
I agree with the posts above. Greenville is slanted far to the right politically. Cost of living much lower.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-04-2009 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: tos violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area