Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM

119 posts, read 565,002 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear some testimonials on favorite local garden nurseries. (not to be confused with a baby nursery - way done with that!!) We are in our new house and want to work on adding some plants and spring bulbs when the time is right. I love to buy local for the expertise of the staff on what will grow the best in our climate. Plus the it is always fun to see what the different nurseries offer.

We are living in the Inman/Wellford area, but I do not traveling to find great nurseries. My husband golfs and I explore nurseries and plant!

I just have to share what I overheard the other day while visting I was in a local nursery and a customer (male) said to the owner with great enthusiasm: "this place is great!! I took my wife to Lowe's to buy some plants and it got the same reaction as if I took her to McDonald's for our wedding anniversary." I laughed all the way home.

I look forward to learning of more hidden treasures in the area to satisfy the urge to plant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
A few that I have really enjoyed in Greenville include...
  • Lichtenfelt Nurseries
  • South Pleasantburg Nursery
  • Grower's Outlet
  • Martin Nursery
  • Underwood Nursery

If you haven't been to Wayside Gardens and Park Seed in Greenwood, I very highly recommend that you take time to visit.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM

288 posts, read 949,290 times
I second the recommendation of Lichtenfelt. They are a little more expensive than the big box stores but have a great selection of perennials, trees and shrubs. It is a HUGE, well-organized place. Shrubs are arranged by type and size. The staff is super helpful and knowledgeable. I took a landscape drawing and a staffer went around with me to pick out the plants, offering her opinion on each one. They also have the best mushroom compost around. Stinky but good. :-) They have good quality annuals but not the biggest selection. They focus on the more permanent plants. For annuals, I really like Country Boys on Woodruff Rd.

If you don't have time to make it to Wayside Gardens, they have a good website. You can buy local, without the drive.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:39 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,388 times
I go to Underwood and Lichtenfelt for specialty products that you can't find at the big box stores. They are both more expensive, but worth it when I know exactly what I want/need.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM

119 posts, read 565,002 times
Thanks everyone! I look forward to exploring and will let you know what I find. I have tried to go to Lichtenfelt twice. I read about in Southern Gardener Magazine. Both times they were closed! I have now learned I should call before I go. I felt like a kid denied access to the candy store! I could see all these cool plants and could not get in!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperpatr View Post
Thanks everyone! I look forward to exploring and will let you know what I find. I have tried to go to Lichtenfelt twice. I read about in Southern Gardener Magazine. Both times they were closed! I have now learned I should call before I go. I felt like a kid denied access to the candy store! I could see all these cool plants and could not get in!
Been there, done that.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
My parents have been buying from Litchtenfelt, Country Boys, and Underwood for a long time and seem to always be pleased. I had to go every time, which was pretty miserable at the time, but they do have great selections. I'm no plant expert, but I do know they have lots of 'em!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 AM

11 posts, read 37,164 times
Default I am so happy this thread is here!

I just recently took interest in a small garden bed, and I really have no idea where to start. I live in a condo and I only have @ 9x5ft bed that I just filled up with Mulch over the years. However my nieghbors really took the prize this spring as we both started to develop our curve appeal, needless to say he did not stop and he has really done it up. I was not sure on which plants grow when in what conditions and where to start so lets just say I have an empty pallet and he has this beautiful jungle. There are so many beautiful landscaping jobs in my neighborhood I really hate being the rookie. However, that is just how I am treated at some of the nurseries that I have been to. I really need assistance and I really would like to start this journey and end it myself, that is without calling upon the HOA or a landscaper. So I will also be visiting some of these nurseries recommended in the thread. Thanks Bunches!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to post a new one just for this, so I'm just adding to this thread.

Today's Groupon is for Country Boys. The deal is good for the next two days. Pay $10 and get $20 worth of stuff. Just know that it does expire Dec. 11, 2011

Dallas Deals: Coupons on Things to Do in Dallas | Groupon Deals (for some reason, it always says Dallas, but it's for Greenville.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
A good option for hydroponic and indoor gardening supplies is The Green Thumb on Rutherford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area