Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times

Advertisements

I will be moving into a neighborhood that has Charter but not Bellsouth.

Charter told me I could not keep my Vonage service but had to use theirs.

Is that true? I would like to keep my Vonage number [different area code] as it is my work phone and the number everyone knows - plus it comes with a 2nd dedicated fax number.

I figure what you are paying for is bandwidth and how you use it is not their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM

288 posts, read 948,824 times
I think Charter is feeding you a line of bull. We have Charter and use Vonage. We moved here from Charlotte, signed up with Charter for internet and cable and just kept our Vonage, same phone number and everything. Charter knows I have Vonage because they are constantly trying to sell me their phone service. I tell them I have Vonage and ask them to match the price ($31 with taxes and all). They can offer me specials (which expire) but always back off when I ask them to match the price permanently, without any expiration, etc. So, I'm sure they'd block my Vonage -- if they could. I see no reason your Vonage won't work. Keep it and give Charter only what business you have to. They've already got a monopoly on the internet. I don't see why they need to have a monopoly on anything else.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:55 PM

227 posts, read 794,904 times
You just have to call again when your promotion is expiring. Give them scare tactics like, "I'm gonna cancel then." Worked for us. Got a promotion that was designed 2 years ago and still going on it.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
You just have to call again when your promotion is expiring. Give them scare tactics like, "I'm gonna cancel then." Worked for us. Got a promotion that was designed 2 years ago and still going on it.
Yes, I get into that with Charter for the cable and internet pricing. But is just a pain. Having to go through the stress and hassle every 6 months or so. Lately, they've been cracking down too. Only letting you take a promotion if it is for more services than you currently have, etc. And the threat to cancel is an empty one for me anyway, as Charter is the only internet provider in my area. I'm happy with my Vonage price and service. I'm willing to pay a little more if it means better service and no hassles. Sigh.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 PM

6 months?? Hmm, demand a year. We don't have to call for another year. Literally though, select the option to cancel, don't go through the regular customer service. I know their regular price for broadband is like $50, we pay $30 and another $30 for digital TV. So a $60 bill instead of $100.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 PM

110 posts, read 455,598 times
Charter is the worst company ever.... without a doubt. We switched to direct tv, keeping out internet, and Charter turned off both! This was even after we reminded them that we wanted to keep the internet! It took a week for them to correct their own mistake, and then a week later they turned it off again by mistake. Direct tv is vastly superior.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
Yes, I get into that with Charter for the cable and internet pricing. But is just a pain. Having to go through the stress and hassle every 6 months or so. Lately, they've been cracking down too. Only letting you take a promotion if it is for more services than you currently have, etc. And the threat to cancel is an empty one for me anyway, as Charter is the only internet provider in my area. I'm happy with my Vonage price and service. I'm willing to pay a little more if it means better service and no hassles. Sigh.
doesn't matter if its an empty threat, you have to argue til the bitter end, I have no other provider yet I got an awesome deal through them even though it took me being transferred to the cancellation department before I got it this is my second year with phone internet and cable for 85 dollars(after taxes) a month.

P.S. they fed me that line of bull about having to upgrade to keep a package, I just told them no thanks, transfer me to cancel

Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
doesn't matter if its an empty threat, you have to argue til the bitter end, I have no other provider yet I got an awesome deal through them even though it took me being transferred to the cancellation department before I got it this is my second year with phone internet and cable for 85 dollars(after taxes) a month.

P.S. they fed me that line of bull about having to upgrade to keep a package, I just told them no thanks, transfer me to cancel
You are my hero! Perhaps you should start a business calling and negotiating stuff for people. :-) I'd hire you.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 AM

Its the canceling people that will make up promotions to help you. Well, one lady did us and gave us her extension so when it comes to expiring again, all we have to do is call her and get what we want again.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,703 times
moving to 29681 next week:>)
having trouble finding a home phone and fax number plus tv service...any advice?
Duke energy offers package deals from Verizon and Charter.....
confusing.....any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area