Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,945,378 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Due to the high costs in Massachusetts the wife and I have been thinking about relocating...We thought about Maine since its located in New England but the winters would be too harsh...Someone mentioned Greenville, SC as a nice and upcoming area...but it might be too far from NewEngland...However, we still we would like some unbiased
opinions about the area... For example how cold does it get there compared to Boston... Are the winters long and harsh....Convenience of shopping (supermarkets, drug stores, etc...)
Quality of schools(how expensive are colleges tuitions) and medical facilities...How good is the job market--- is it mainly a touristy area... just service jobs...What is the cost of living versus Massachusetts in general(real estate property prices, real estate taxes, income taxes)...On average what is the cost of land lot to build a home on ...And is located in a decent area and not too far from the city of Greenville....How does Greenville compare to Myrtle Beach...Any info would be appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM

183 posts, read 501,698 times
Hi, it looks as though you haven't done a lick of research.

I'm not sure how bias would really affect the answers to most of your questions, since they are factual in nature...but I am unbiased in the sense that I don't live in Greenville (yet), so here are a few answers:

Is Greenville too far from New England?

Too far for what? If you plan to visit New England a lot, then it probably is, although there is an airport right nearby that could make it easier. If you are driving, Greenville is nearly 1000 miles from Boston, as a gauge.

Annual weather facts about Greenville are pretty easy to find online, but suffice to say that it's going to be a lot warmer most of the time than Boston, especially in the winter. Cold and harsh winters in Greenville? It is in South Carolina after all.

Here's a link:

weather

As far as shopping is concerned, on a recent visit, I noticed that shopping options in the greater Greenville area abound, with every possible chain available. From food to home improvement, and everything else in between, you shouldn't have a problem finding what you need just about anywhere you choose to live.

Schools are purported to be pretty good in general...but that's mainly elementary and high schools. There are a number of colleges and universities in the area, including U of SC upstate. You'll have to investigate costs yourself if your kids decide a local school is best for them...but that's a whole different process.

There seem to be a decent number of fairly new medical facilities in the area. I can't tell you much about them, but those who live in Greenville will be able better answer that question.

The job market will likely be tougher than that in MA, espcially if you are near Boston, but there are a good number of international corporations nearby. It will depend on the type of work you are looking for, obviously.

I don't think Greenville is really a touristy area, and I would say that the job market is certainly not centered around the tourism industry. You could much more accurately say that about Myrtle Beach, however, which is mostly tourism-sustained.

Cost of living should be better than that of MA in general. Here's a link for comparing you city:

City Comparisons

Cost of land? Check some MLS sites for a rough idea.

That should get you started, I hope. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:09 PM

370 posts, read 948,810 times
I agree that you guys will need to do a lot more research into the area before you can make an informed decision. It's a big move. I think Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed is a great source, as is the city-data.com main site. As a former resident of MA, I can tell you Greenville is not like New England. If you are looking for a New England feel, you will need to stay somewhere in New England because the South has a completely different feel. It's more friendly, respectful and family oriented. You can hop on a plane from GSP and easily be in New England in 4 hours, but driving there will take approx 20 hours and is very grueling. Shopping and restaurants are plentiful here. Winters only last 2-3 months and are very mild in comparison. Beautiful sunny days are common and you will notice how much brighter it is here than in New England. Housing is affordable. It's a great place with a great vision. Do more research and then come down for a visit to see if it's right for you!

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:57 AM..

Old 10-11-2008, 04:42 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,545,969 times
This forum has a ton of great information. You should spend some time here reading lots of existing threads. Not meaning to be insensitive or unhelpful, but it takes a lot of time for people to have to repeat themselves.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 PM

94 posts, read 185,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Are the winters long and harsh....
In South Carolina?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,722,231 times
Do what we've all done: Read this forum and soak it up like a sponge. Use the search link for more specific questions. Everything you'll want to know has been addressed 100 times. If after you've done all of that and you still haven't found your answer, post your questions and we'll be happy to answer.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 AM

266 posts, read 1,026,661 times
Default We are from MA

We moved from MA to FL (for 1 1/2 yrs) then to Simpsonville. We love it here so far and have been here just over a year.

The weather is GREAT! So much to do for families.

Can't comment on College tuition since I have 2 little ones. I do find the elementary schools to be very different to MA, but I wouldn't say its bad.

Shopping is close. We have lots of the same stores (Walmart, Target, Kohls, Marshalls, TJ Maxx).

Food- Ummm, We really miss the food in MA! But there are lots of restaurants here, both chain and independent.

People - They have been great! Its different here, since your neighbors actually talk to you....ALOT!

We did alot of research on the area, and still feel like we didn't do enough. But this forum is great. We also visited 3 times before making the move.

Hope that helps some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area