Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 42,879 times

Advertisements

Ryan's on Woodruff Road is closed. You know the economy is getting bad now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,401,366 times
Since the sale of the locally-owned company to Buffets Inc. in 2006, the quality of the restaurants has steadily diminished. At the time of the sale, Ryan's was at its peak. If you had dined at the Woodruff Road location within the past year, you likely noticed the difference and may have wondered how long they would stay open. With the timely addition of Golden Corral, which appears successful in the Greenville market, I would guess the closure has at least as much to do with lower quality as it does with the weak economy.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 AM

503 posts, read 938,422 times
I am so glad that that Ryans closed, now maybe something good can go there.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 AM

124 posts, read 322,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Since the sale of the locally-owned company to Buffets Inc. in 2006, the quality of the restaurants has steadily diminished. At the time of the sale, Ryan's was at its peak. If you had dined at the Woodruff Road location within the past year, you likely noticed the difference and may have wondered how long they would stay open. With the timely addition of Golden Corral, which appears successful in the Greenville market, I would guess the closure has at least as much to do with lower quality as it does with the weak economy.

Golden Corral is nasty.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM

607 posts, read 1,404,543 times
I know of one Golden Corral in Greenville. I wasn't impressed. Have been to others that were pretty good, as far as that sort of buffet goes. How many Golden Corrals are here?
When I was in college in eastern NC (a long time ago) I waitressed at a Golden Corral. One night management came in and there was a meeting, and next thing you know everyone was laid off and the store closed. The anguish of the people that worked there was so real. I was only a kid and lived in a dorm and could easily get another part-time waitress gig, but these people were full time. They relied on the restaurant for benefits and to feed and clothe their children.
I couldn't help but remember that when I saw that Ryan's had closed.

Last edited by Kimmie; 02-13-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,449,776 times
There is/was a good amount (4) of Ryan's in Greenville County, while there is only like one GOLDEN CORRAL OUT OF THE ENTIRE COUNTY...

Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,401,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
There is/was a good amount (4) of Ryan's in Greenville County, while there is only like one GOLDEN CORRAL OUT OF THE ENTIRE COUNTY...
There is one in Greenville County, one just across the border in Pickens County, one in Anderson County, and one in Spartanburg County. That equals four in the Upstate, two being in the immediate Greenville area. In my opinion, they are much better than Ryan's. They serve free meals to U.S. military veterans once a year as well. I rarely dine there, but it serves as a decent place when with a large group.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,766,672 times
I haven't been to Ryans since the "Shane episode", about four years ago. I was at the Greer Ryans one day at lunch when I heard a grandfather say to his grandson, in a redneck tone of voice, "Shane, get your fangers out of that nanner puddin'." That did it for me.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,972,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I haven't been to Ryans since the "Shane episode", about four years ago. I was at the Greer Ryans one day at lunch when I heard a grandfather say to his grandson, in a redneck tone of voice, "Shane, get your fangers out of that nanner puddin'." That did it for me.
LOL But that kind of thing probably happens at most buffets. You just aren't around to see or hear it when it is happening.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,719,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
Golden Corral is nasty.
Call me crazy, but I looove Golden Corral. For a buffet, it's really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area