Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,867 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is leaving the West Coast at the end of this month, September to become new residents of Seneca. I have relatives there but haven't seen much of it myself before. A good place to live? Are there jobs in town? Rent? Affordable? Things to do?

All very exciting and I'm looking forward to learning about the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM

114 posts, read 378,253 times
Seneca is not a big town but enjoys a priveleged natural location and all the shopping necessities one would need to get by without having to make a drive.

Seneca is located right between two large lakes, Keowee and Hartwell. Keowee is a beautiful lake filled from the mountain streams that flow in from N. Carolina to the North. You can see beautiful blue ridge vistas from this lake. Hartwell is immensely popular with fishing and boating enthusiasts as well.

To the west of Seneca you will find a small town called Walhalla that has a great variety of historic homes, a quaint (and a bit country) mainstreet, and loads of antique stores. Beyond Walhalla are the blue ridge mountains. Oconee County, where Seneca is located, has at least 22 significant waterfalls. Hiking trails are abundant as well. The Wild and Scenic Chatooga River is one of the prime destinations for Whitewater rafting / kaying in the US and is also located in the county. Obviously, if you and your family enjoy outdoor activities, Seneca and Oconee County will provide lots of enjoyment.

A 45 minute drive to the East and you will find yourself in Greenville. Greenville is a great 'bigger' city with a wonderful mainstreet, great parks and impressive shopping and restaurants. Anything you can't find in Seneca, you'll be able to find in Greenville.

All in all Seneca is a pretty nice place. The town, like most, has some 'rough' spots where areas are not kept up very well or are delapidated but most of the town is vibrant and experiencing steady growth. Perhaps the best thing about Seneca, as this post suggests, is it's enviable location on the lakes, and a short drive from the mountains and a great city in Greenville. Oh ya, I almost forgot to mention that a great state university (Clemson Univ.) is located 10 minutes from Seneca.

I hope you enjoy your move. I think you will find the people quite pleasant in this part of the country. Blessings~

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 AM

511 posts, read 1,522,528 times
Default Seneca

What type of job of you looking for. It is a small town but quite lovely. Anderson will have more to do than Seneca and is not far away. Love Lake Keowee!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
If truth be told- there is not a single man made lake in South Carolina. They are all owned by power companies or state utilities. And Keowee is the prettiest of them.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,867 times
Thanks for all the great input, especially OM, your posts always really seem to come alive.

So it's been almost 5 months since we've been here. The first obstacle, housing was accomplished while 3000 miles away. Our relatives photodocumented a place they thought would work for us, emailed us the photos and contact info and the deal was done. (Scary, but it turned out good!)

The house is a modest size, set in a rural environment, WAY MORE affordable than a West Coast comparable. The area is drop-dead gorgeous except for a lack of mountains. LOL!

After a few weeks panic set in as there were ZERO job opportunities. Everything seemed web-based as far as retail, registered with Phillips Staffing but found nothing and finally took a job happily as a waitress in a nearby town.

At this point, seeing the devastating economy, I'm happy to have that job and see daily those around me who don't. I don't know how much a beautiful landscape can dull the edge of personal economic crisis, but I hope it helps those who are really blessed to live in such a beautiful place.

I'm still adjusting to the "weirdness" of living on Planet South, but enjoying the transition all the same. I thank sincerely the locals who absorb us and are patient as I try to untangle their local accent.

I'm really starting to feel at home here and it's still early.

Love the birds, the beautiful sunny winter days and the balmy spring ones that are just showing themselves. It's all groovy, too bad I'm gonna melt come summer right?

Anyway, thanks again!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 PM

227 posts, read 795,031 times
Yeah, summer is REALLY hot here. Something like 97 degrees with 99% humidity... lovely. SC is third from the top in unemployment, 9.5% sheesh. It's tough but lack of jobs has been common here for years. Used to be if you were in construction, you were okay, but nobody's buying now. But the medical field is still booming. Glad you like it here better than me. It's pretty but it's not all for me as I originally thought.

Hope things keep looking up for you.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM

114 posts, read 378,253 times
Sounds like you have a good, positive attitude about your life change. As always, there are bumps in the road when you move such great distances. Then, throw in the economy and geeesh! It seems like folks in Oconee County, South Carolina in general and the country as a whole are just trying to get by for the time being. I am happy that you found some work for the time. If history is any indicator, things will pick up again.

As far as summer heat goes, you will be VERY happy you live near the lakes. Unlike many areas in S. Carolina and the Southern US in generaly, you'll be able to enjoy cool waters all around you. Try a dip in Keowee, or maybe Jocassee one weekend. After that, head over to a swimming whole on the Chattooga or Chauga rivers (Chau-Ram Park on the Chauga near Westminster is a real gem!) Anyway, those lazy summer days are always so enjoyable with lots of water and some cold lemonade.

Once again, I am glad you made the move and got settled in. I hope you continue to enjoy your new 'home' and the job situation improves. Blessings -

Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 AM

227 posts, read 795,031 times
Don't forget the sunscreen!

Most of the waterfalls require hiking, so if you like to hike or even camp, that's a great activity too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area