Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

Okay, my b'day is in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide where I want to go. Last year, after several excellent suggestions, we chose City Range and it was awesome. This year I'm leaning towards either Mojitos (I loove Cuban food) or Rio Grill (I also love churascarios's). I heard from a woman from Brazil that Rio grill isn't authentic because it's owned by a Mexican guy, not a Brazilian and the food isn't that good, but I've read other posts where it is really good; so I don't know. Has anyone been there that's also been to another churascario, ala Fogo de Chao, or Texas de Brazil, to compare it? Also, how's Mojito's in comparison to other Cuban restaurants? Thanks in advance for all of the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
IMO, choose Rio. I think their food is very good, having been to both Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil. Is Rio as good as either of those.....I have pros and cons about all three. At Rio the only meat that I tend not to like is their chicken, when they bring it around, I pass.....it has tended to be dry. All the beef cuts have been excellent, the pork cuts great, and the sauage is fantastic. Go to Rio on a busy weekend night and the meats be fresher and hot. I've been late on a weeknight before where it seemed like the "remains". The bartender at Rio is excellent....fresh squeeze citrus in all their drinks. A blackberry mojito that is out of this world!

As for Mojito's, I've been, mainly to drink. Mojito's seems to favor the bar over their food prep.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Mojitos food is as authentic as it gets the menu is small but made fresh daily. The owners are very friendly. The mojitos are out of this world they have too many flavors to remember all great from sratch. Jimmy and Sue are the chefs their food is amazing on the bright side you can hang out and party they have a great crowd. you may be able to reserve a couch for no charge if you are taking friends they will accomdate you i had my b-day there im from south beach florida and mojitos was perfect we all had a great time. you may choose have dinner at rio and then go to Mojitos its next door. however if you do that make sure you you try the food at one point or another the food is great not to mention the Mojitos none better in SC ill bet that ive had them in Miami and this guys make them as good as ive ever had.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 AM

551 posts, read 855,964 times
Rio Grill is a fun place to go on a birthday, since it is different from other types of resturants. My wife and I was there last year for her birthday. She enjoyed it. I've been to better Brazillian resturants in the US, but all in all it was a good time. Check out www.resturant.com for a $25 gift certificate for only $15. Here is the direct link: Rio Grille - Eat. Drink. Save Money.

BTW, City Range used to be on there, but it's not now. Keep looking, or sign up for emails where the price drops for a few days on gift certificates. Also take a look at Sky at Blue Ridge Brewing.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM

78 posts, read 155,603 times
Mojito's is a great place to hang out with friends, dance and have a great Birthday dinner! The food is AUTHENTIC CUBAN! The owners are straight from Miami! Lazaro, one of the owners came to our table and chatted with us for about 20 minutes about how much he loved Greenville and how great the people of the city have been to him. And ,this was on a very busy Saturday night. His father cooks the food and it is very good! I know from personal experience I grew up in Miami. My step Grandmother was Cuban. I would recommend either the Picadillo or the Ropa Vieja. Try calling in advance and setting up with Lazaro a special place in the restaurant to eat and maybe requesting a special Birthday meal. Some of there items are done only on special days. The place is small and it seemed to have filled up VERY fast! People were actually coming out of the restaurant and dancing on the street. You would love the atmosphere, it was very inviting, fun, energetic and lively. The place was full of people dancing Salsa and having a great time. Try checking out the place Saturday night before your Birthday and meet with Lazaro beforehand. He is very down to earth and I am sure would love to host your Birthday party. Tell him Bernard and Rochelle from Asheville sent you!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinggypsies View Post
Mojito's is a great place to hang out with friends, dance and have a great Birthday dinner! The food is AUTHENTIC CUBAN! The owners are straight from Miami! Lazaro, one of the owners came to our table and chatted with us for about 20 minutes about how much he loved Greenville and how great the people of the city have been to him. And ,this was on a very busy Saturday night. His father cooks the food and it is very good! I know from personal experience I grew up in Miami. My step Grandmother was Cuban. I would recommend either the Picadillo or the Ropa Vieja. Try calling in advance and setting up with Lazaro a special place in the restaurant to eat and maybe requesting a special Birthday meal. Some of there items are done only on special days. The place is small and it seemed to have filled up VERY fast! People were actually coming out of the restaurant and dancing on the street. You would love the atmosphere, it was very inviting, fun, energetic and lively. The place was full of people dancing Salsa and having a great time. Try checking out the place Saturday night before your Birthday and meet with Lazaro beforehand. He is very down to earth and I am sure would love to host your Birthday party. Tell him Bernard and Rochelle from Asheville sent you!
Thanks so much.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 AM

33 posts, read 117,624 times
Mojitos- best Cuban sandwich in town. Great ceviche, ropa vieja, fish, shredded pork. Their mojitos are great. We jokingly asked for a pitcher and got one! This is simple, delicious island food in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,272 times
So Sonrise - which restaurant did you go to -- and do you have a review? I looked at Rio on their website and it looks interesting.

Regards,
Leggo

Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
So Sonrise - which restaurant did you go to -- and do you have a review? I looked at Rio on their website and it looks interesting.

Regards,
Leggo
My b'day is tomorrow. Someone suggested in the thread about great deals in G'ville the coupon that's over 50% off, so it looks like Rio Grill it will be. I'll let you know tomorrow; thanks for asking.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Okay,
So we went to Rio Grill last night for my b'day. First off, it's very expensive, $31 pp. We had a $25 off gift card and the total was still $54, after taxes and gratuity.

If anyone is not familiar with the whole churascarrio/rodizio concept, basically a server, usually in traditional gaucho outfit comes around to each table with skewers of various meats, i.e filet mignon, pork, chicken, etc. Yo have a disc on your table, looks like a coaster, one side is red, the other green. if you want the meat to keep coming, keep the green side up. if you need a break to unbutton your top button, you flip it to red. The also offer a salad bar/buffet that has various veggies and Brzilian sides.

The top round and bacon wrapped filet were the most flavorful, the Brazilian sausage and garlic pork, not so much. Over all, this place was good, not great. to me, it's more of a novelty along the lines of Medieval Times and the like. I'd give it 6 1/2. Ironically, Mojito's, my other finalist was next door, which I did not know.

After we left Rio, I went into Mojito's to ask for a togo menu, andf after waiting 10 minutes, they finally gave me a post card that listed their daily specials. the place definitely looked like it placed more of an emphasis on the bars, as opposed to the food. There were about 5 people drinking at the bar, and only 1 couple eating at the table in the entire restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area