Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM

15 posts, read 45,953 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to Simpsonville within 8 months and would like to be withing walking distance of my daughter who lives on Summerhill Road. We have a problem though because we have a 35' RV and want to park it in our yard and most HOA's do not allow that. My question is, are there any developments around her where I could look that allow RV's in our yard? I will also need to have or build a workshop with a min of 600 sq. ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortak View Post
We are planning on moving to Simpsonville within 8 months and would like to be withing walking distance of my daughter who lives on Summerhill Road. We have a problem though because we have a 35' RV and want to park it in our yard and most HOA's do not allow that. My question is, are there any developments around her where I could look that allow RV's in our yard? I will also need to have or build a workshop with a min of 600 sq. ft.
You may actually have a more difficult time with the workshop, than you will with the RV. I have been president of two HOAs, and both basically only restricted RV parking by saying they couldn't be visible from the street. However, both HOAs also restricted out-buildings to a maximum of 12' x 12', with a 12' roof peak.

One suggestion might be to check into older neighborhoods (20+ years), since many times their restrictions are less than the neighborhoods built in say the past 10 years.

Another suggestion would be to find the house first, and then concentrate on researching covenants prior to making an offer. You will live in your house, not in your RV.

Off the top of my head... I had a client who lived in Poinsettia (about 5.9 miles from Summer Hill Rd), and parked their RV on an extra pad in the driveway. I have also shown homes in Bradley Oaks (about 2.7 miles from Summer Hill Rd), and have noticed RVs parked in the driveways, or on lots.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 45,953 times
Thanks for the info. I'll be looking in the areas that you suggested to educate myself a little more.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortak View Post
I also live in a subdivision here in Greenville. The subdivisions are very nice in the Greenville area. They usually offer pools, basketball courts, some have ponds and golf courses attached and other amenities. However if you are looking for freedom to do what you want to your home I would not suggest purchasing a home in a subdivision. There are some subdivisions that have relaxed rules then there are some that are strict.

For example to make any changes or home improvements to your home you will have to gain HOA permission which at times can be a nightmare. Also keep in mind that besides maintaining the common areas of the subdivision it is the HOA's job to make sure all homeowners keep their properties looking manicured. They do this because often times there are people who drive through the subdivisions looking for homes to purchase so always need to make a positive impression.

For example things like grass cutting, garbage cans left in the front of the house etc. will cause the HOA to send you a letter.

Do your homework and make sure to read the covenants of that HOA before putting in an offer on a home located in a subdivision.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
For example things like grass cutting, garbage cans left in the front of the house etc. will cause the HOA to send you a letter.
You say this as if it's a bad thing. That's what HOAs are for, among other things.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
You say this as if it's a bad thing. That's what HOAs are for, among other things.
It is not a bad thing that the HOA's are strict about maintenance of the community. But it is something that people should make sure they understand by reading the covenants before they make an offer. As I said some HOA's are stricter then others. Every HOA is not for every person. For example if you are the type of person who knows you do not have the time to cut the grass on a regular basis then living in a subdivision may not be the right fit for you. It may be better for you to purchase a home that is not in a subdivision.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 AM

I don't argue that people should read the covenants and restrictions for any subdivision they are considering, although it seems like common sense; that is, I could hardly imagine someone not doing that beforehand. Then again, people do strange things.

The lawn care aspect throws me, though, as I live in an ordinary neighborhood with no HOA now, and while there's no one to enforce it (up to a certain point), everyone is expected to keep their lawns cut and their property presentable. It is generally unspoken, but understood. Otherwise, you're that guy. Nobody wants to live next to that guy.

Maybe I'm just more particular about mowing the lawn?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 AM

That is exactly right. You may be the type of person that keeps up on the maintenance of your property but not everyone does. I have a few neighbors right now that have overgrown grass with weeds all over the place and I am sure that the HOA has sent them letters about it and may have fined them for not keeping up with the maintenance. Which is exactly why I mentioned it in my post, there are a lot of rules in the subdivisions and not everyone would enjoy living someplace where someone will enforce the way they keep their property.

There are some people that love to do yard work more then others. Sometimes people are working a lot and by the time they get home it is late and the only thing they want to do is be a couch potato on the sofa in front of the television!

Regarding reading the covenants. Let's say for example someone is coming from a city where all they did was rent apartments and never purchased a home in a community that has an HOA they may not even know that there is any such thing as a covenant until their real estate agent tells them.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Sometimes people are working a lot and by the time they get home it is late and the only thing they want to do is be a couch potato on the sofa in front of the television!
Sure, but that's why people hire lawn services. By the way, can anyone tell me what it generally costs for lawn service in the Simpsonville area? I might need some temporary help.

Quote:
Regarding reading the covenants. Let's say for example someone is coming from a city where all they did was rent apartments and never purchased a home in a community that has an HOA they may not even know that there is any such thing as a covenant until their real estate agent tells them.
I get it, but it all boils down to the simple fact that people have to do their homework, especially coming form a different part of the country. To not do so is just asking for complications down the road.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM

58 posts, read 203,814 times
Along the same line, in the Greenville area, are there more neighborhoods that are subdivisions w/HOA's or more older neighborhoods without?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area