Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,296 times

Advertisements

I drove back through Sp'burg last week after being gone for 11 years. I had a home in a super nice west side development...custom built in '94. Many of the homes in my neighborhood sold for $450k+ 12 years ago. All were going for $110 sq. ft.

I saw many of these homes now selling in the low $300ks. Make offer pricing. That's around $68 per sq. ft. That's insane! What has happened in S'burg.......and why? Is it just unemployment? Banks not lending? WHAT? I am thinking about moving back, but this is downright scary.

Think I might be taking a harder look now at G'vile and the Taylors area. Have they had the same problems? Thanks...... Jak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
There are likely multiple reasons for this surprising decline in property value, including the current economic recession. My opinion is that it is tied to the demographic structure of the area. The residential growth on that side of town has been mixed, mostly from affordable to middle class. The mixture of commercial and industrial growth has certainly played a role as well, with factories and distribution warehouses hugging I-85, and sloppy suburban sprawl scattered around the I-26 interchages. There is no concentration of upper middle class communities on the westside of Spartanburg, which would bolster property values.

I highly recommend checking out the Pelham-Batesville area over to the Five Forks area, which has a nice concentration of pricey communities and property with a consistently strong value. Another area to look at is Thornblade and its surrounding communities. This map gives a rough idea about the areas mentioned:

Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,296 times
Thank you Skyliner. I made it to Greenville Co. this w/e. 1100 mile drive. We really like the Five Forks areas as you mentioned we would. Also, we spent some time near Clemson, Seneca and Easley. Also, some nice areas there.

We are not looking for a track home development. Want a place to call it home from here on out. Would like at least 1.5 acres with elbow room and room for privacy. I see a lot of areas that fit the bill, but just need to keep exploring the areas.

Next up....north of G'ville. Beautiful so far. A lot to be proud of if you live in the upstate.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM

181 posts, read 409,477 times
My parents live in one of the areas that Skyliner mentioned and love it. Close to everything but still in a quiet area of nice homes.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 PM

61 posts, read 218,934 times
I definately agree with what skyliner posted.Those areas circled would be the best IMO .

Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,827 times
Did you guys miss the news that the market for high-priced residential real estate has crashed? People were saying the expensiv-o houses were recession-proof but they were wrong and prices have come down harder and faster than the affordable houses.

On the bright side, if you are going to buy an expensive house, you can save $150,000 over the values from a year or so ago. Assuming you want to live there for a long time rather than flip the property, why is that a bad thing?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,844,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Did you guys miss the news that the market for high-priced residential real estate has crashed? People were saying the expensiv-o houses were recession-proof but they were wrong and prices have come down harder and faster than the affordable houses.

On the bright side, if you are going to buy an expensive house, you can save $150,000 over the values from a year or so ago. Assuming you want to live there for a long time rather than flip the property, why is that a bad thing?
its really never a good thing to see home prices depreciating, I think people are worried the trend will continue, and want their investment to be worth something

Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
its really never a good thing to see home prices depreciating, I think people are worried the trend will continue, and want their investment to be worth something
Everything has bottomed out, there is no reason not to buy unless you are extremely, extremely conservative, in which case you should put all your money into either a checking account or short-term Treasuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area