Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 AM

470 posts, read 593,485 times

Advertisements

It seems another company is threatening to destroy the Greenville economy by offering even more manufacturing jobs...
Electric bus maker Proterra considers Upstate for new plant | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News

Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,946,664 times
Yeah! How dare they think of coming here and giving 500 people a decent job!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 PM

181 posts, read 407,810 times
If the only jobs are service industry or ultra high paying professional jobs, then the dreaded change into a 2 class America will be a certainty. I am glad to see another manufacturing facility coming to the Upstate. I want a variety of economic development to ensure future growth.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,535,242 times
An average pay of $60,000 is fantastic. However continuing on the same path of having a city focused on attracting more manufacturing based companies is not. Some of the eggs in Greenville need to be taken out of the manufacturing basket. What happens in the future when there are other recessions, no major industries to fall back on and the manufacturing industry is taking a beating?

A growing city needs variety in order to keep growing. Will not be good for economic development to have a city that only has the ability to cater to retirees and those who have a manufacturing background!

Variety of industries in Greenville = new people relocating there from other states = outside revenue generated for the city = prosperity and growth of the city.

OR

Manufacturing industry dependence = lack of growth = a city that will have trouble attracting working adults that do not fit into the manufacturing mold.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 PM

5,519 posts, read 15,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
...Manufacturing industry dependence = lack of growth = a city that will have trouble attracting working adults that do not fit into the manufacturing mold.
While manufacturing is undoubtedly an important industry in the region, you obviously do not know the history of Greenville. While many towns in the Upstate are indeed manufacturing-dependent, Greenville does not follow suit, but rather has led the way for transition into a diverse economy. I advise you to research the steady growth and change experienced during the last few decades. If you feel ambitious, look even further into the history of this area for a better understanding of its evolution.

I also recommend looking at new/added local jobs and corporate relocation as economically beneficial to this area -- to any area.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:06 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,946,664 times
It's the good ole trickle down effect!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,493,457 times
I for one am just glad to see yet another mass employer considering the area. Manufacturing employs more than just assembly-line workers. R&D usually accompanies manufacturing to some degree, along with other accounting & project management types, as others have already mentioned.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 PM

511 posts, read 1,517,708 times
I know a lot of people out of work and will be glad to see jobs come here. I agree with you on the trickle effect and if we get jobs, then people need houses. Yes--I did work in manufacturing for 13 years & yes our plant did move to Chine & yes I will still be glad to see jobs coming whether manufacturing or not!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,670,878 times
I'm relatively new to the "researching Greenville" scene. Can you tell me - are most of the manufacturing plants and factories located downtown, north/south/east/west? Or are they in the smaller outlying communities? My husband is a forklift mechanic who works for a forklift company and does work at the companies that own or lease the forklifts from his company. He is tired of working outside in PA during the winter months in parking lots, on loading docks, etc. (Last winter he was actually frozen to the ground for a short time! ) He would like to relocate and we're researching areas with good schools and good economies that would provide employment for him and education for our children, and give us the warmer climate he desires.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM

5,519 posts, read 15,298,309 times
Most of the manufacturing and distribution facilities are located on or near the interstate freeways. One high concentration is at the South Carolina Technology and Aviation Center (fka Donaldson Center Industrial Air Park). Here is a list of some tenants (http://www.sc-tac.com/technology-a-aviation-park - broken link) at the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area