Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

33 posts, read 79,285 times

Advertisements

I hear that there are a lot of food items that us NJ folks take for granted that are not available in SC. Pork Roll, "sliders", Tastykakes, Drakes, Jersey Tomatoes, hard rolls, knishes, italian hot dogs, for example. Are there any former NJ people who now live in SC who can tell me what I won't be seeing in your local Food Lion that I'm used to finding on the shelves of my local Shop-Rite? We're looking to move to the Greenville area and are just curious. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:37 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohnnie View Post
I hear that there are a lot of food items that us NJ folks take for granted that are not available in SC. Pork Roll, "sliders", Tastykakes, Drakes, Jersey Tomatoes, hard rolls, knishes, italian hot dogs, for example. Are there any former NJ people who now live in SC who can tell me what I won't be seeing in your local Food Lion that I'm used to finding on the shelves of my local Shop-Rite? We're looking to move to the Greenville area and are just curious. thanks
Tastykakes....love em....just found out about these a few years back from someone also from New Jersey. You can get them here....I believe it is Bloom I've bought them in. As for knishes, no problem, a couple of the downtown hotdog vendors sell them fresh (you can also find them frozen in a couple of the local grocery chains).

Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,177 times
Have no fear. Many of the foods that I love here in NYC are in Greenville....thank God some of us are relocating to the south, starting business's and bringing these foods with us. I even was shocked to find real NY style cheesecake at the Copper River Grill.....they are buying the cheesecake from the Carnegie Deli here in Manhattan. Nobody does a cheesecake like Carnegie Deli and Juniors!!!!

Knishes, have seen them in supermarkets but not sure if the hotdog vendors that are in downtown Greenville sell them.

Hotdogs, being sold from carts downtown Greenville and one person that has a cart in front of Lowes on Woodruff rd....not sure if they sell sausages.

Pizza was another thing that I thought I would miss....man from Queens has a pizza shop called "Tonys New York Pizza" in a shopping center close to Haywood mall. Pizza is just like home!

Boars Head cold cuts (which I love) have made their way to SC.....thought I was going to suffer and not be able to find in the supermarket. The Publix supermarkets have it in their locations around Greenville....they make sandwiches with it at the deli counter. BTW, not sure what they are called in Jersey but here in NY we call them heroes......in SC they call them subs, ask for a hero sandwich at a SC deli counter and they look at you like you have two heads!

Also Food Lion is only one of many supermarkets down there.

Publix, Bloom, Ingles, Bi-Lo, Whole Foods are all there.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Have no fear. Many of the foods that I love here in NYC are in Greenville....thank God some of us are relocating to the south, starting business's and bringing these foods with us..
Funny, that's why I was asking. Was looking to retire to Greenville area, and thought about opening a small shop selling NJ/NY imported foods to those of us who will miss a good pork roll, egg and cheese "slider" on a hard roll!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Funny, that's why I was asking. Was looking to retire to Greenville area, and thought about opening a small shop selling NJ/NY imported foods to those of us who will miss a good pork roll, egg and cheese "slider" on a hard roll!
Even if people can find these things locally in grocery stores, I think a casual place serving what you're describing would do well downtown! You can always start catering to the weekday lunch crowd, and see how it goes.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
I'll tell you one thing that I think would be a huge hit here....an Egg Cream. I haven't found a place in the area that serves egg creams. I know they are big up in the tristate area.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM

47 posts, read 127,639 times
Bellacinos is downtown right across from the City Hall. It's decent.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'll tell you one thing that I think would be a huge hit here....an Egg Cream. I haven't found a place in the area that serves egg creams. I know they are big up in the tristate area.
Egg Cream, good idea. I'll add that to the list.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM

183 posts, read 500,672 times
I haven't missed much at all. They don't seem to have Drake's anywhere, so if you like Devil dogs and that sort of thing...

The only thing we're having some trouble with is finding a place that sels good cheeses. The only gourmet cheese department I know if is whole foods, and they're not even that good. Finding certain cheeses like Manchego, for instance, is hit or miss. Sometimes Publix has it, sometimes (like when you need it for a particular recipe) they don't.

Most everything else is available. But I have to say that all supermarket knishes are pretty bad if you've ever had the real thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
I haven't missed much at all. They don't seem to have Drake's anywhere, so if you like Devil dogs and that sort of thing...

The only thing we're having some trouble with is finding a place that sels good cheeses. The only gourmet cheese department I know if is whole foods, and they're not even that good. Finding certain cheeses like Manchego, for instance, is hit or miss. Sometimes Publix has it, sometimes (like when you need it for a particular recipe) they don't.

Most everything else is available. But I have to say that all supermarket knishes are pretty bad if you've ever had the real thing.
Have you tried The Fresh Market? They should have whatever you're looking for! Also, Northampton Wines near downtown carries many specialty cheeses, but it's a small section of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area