Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:34 PM

45 posts, read 165,857 times

Advertisements

What are some of the nicer towns around Greenville? And, which ones have the best schools?

Thanks so much,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,991 times
Default School Info

I am not familiar with SC but I have been searching for a long time for a good place to move my family from PA to the south. It may help to go to the states board of ed website where it ranks the schools by district. Most states have them and I have found good information from them. Hope that helps.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 AM

Thanks, Nette74. I'll try that.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
We are building in the Simpsonville/Fountain Inn area. Our kids will go to Fork Shoals Elementary. The school is a little out of the way, but the staff has been very helpful in answering my questions. We were also interested in both the Blue Ridge and Traveler's Rest areas, but they wouldn't have been very convenient for my husband's job.

I researched schools on the internet on the Greenville County school website and greatschools website. I have also heard good things about many of the schools.

School assignment is something to be aware of. There are so many schools and so much growth that kids don't always go to the school closest to their homes.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:36 AM

80 posts, read 562,654 times
We lived in Spartanburg for two years, and we actually built a house in a neighborhood more between Spartanburg and Greenville. I know the town of Greer is becoming a very popular place for people to live. It's in between Spartanburg and Greenville.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 AM

Thank you all. I wondered how the schools worked. So, you're not guaranteed a certain school by where your house is located? Did I understand the correctly?

In other words, in NC all 3 of my kids could attend different elementary schools because they do interdistricting or some term like that. Is that what this is in SC? Or, would they all go to the same school just maybe not the closest one? I hope I'm not confusing sounding.

Also, my oldest ds will be in 6th grade this year. It's still elementary here. I see that it would be middle school there. That could be a shocker if we move in the middle of the school year. YIKES.

Thanks again. I can't wait to get down there to look around, but it probably won't be until October. I had a dream I was there last night. Guess this is REALLY on my mind!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
Default It is by neighborhood...

just some neighborhoods don't necessarily go to the school that is closest. This seems to be more common in the areas experiencing a lot of growth (Mauldin/Simpsonville/Fountain Inn). For example, Neely Farm is an existing neighborhood off of Neely Ferry Road. Kids who live there attend Plain Elementary. Verdmont is a new neighborhood right next to Neely Farm. Kids who live there will attend Fork Shoals. The new KB neighborhood, also off of Neely Ferry is zoned for ellen Woodside. There is a list on the Greenville County website, I believe under the title parents and administrative. The Eastside (Taylors/Greer) is known to have good schools as well. Greer can be tricky though, as I think it is in two school districts.

What type/size of town are you looking for? Do your children have any special interests that you are trying to meet?

Old 07-29-2006, 06:26 PM

We are coming from a small town here. It's around 25,000. My DH and oldest ds are HUGE into soccer, so that's a biggy for us. My second ds likes basektball, baseball, football. My dd plays soccer too, but is only 6 so she has a lot of others things to try yet.

I like older established neighborhoods. A must for us is a lot between 1/2 - 2 acres and TREES. We bought a brand new house years ago with no trees and will never do that again. Too old to see them grow now anyway.

Also, we live in an old 1880 Victorian Farmhouse. I would live in a new house that was made to look old/Victorian, though.

We are looking at Easley, Taylers, Simpsonville.

Like I said before schools are our number one priority. My kids' classes are large here, though, so that wouldn't be something new to us.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 PM

41 posts, read 145,885 times
Default Everyone forgets Anderson COunty

Hi Chris.....I have been reading the boards here and everyone is forgetting about Anderson County next to Greenville. The Powdersville area supposedly has excellent schools....Concrete, Wren.....When we were looking to move there a few years back that is where we seemed to be drawn to due to larger lots...and schools. Check out great schools dot net and also a site called homefair dot com and search through to state, and county and it gives you alittle different info than the great schools site does. Both are helpful sites to research. I do recall there were issues with the assignments of schools so be careful in Greenville county. That was another reason we zeroed in on Anderson and it actually is so close to Greenville I think it uses some of it's mailing as Greenville. Like I said it has been a few years and we were investigating it with 2 small kids on a 4 day trip and the rest was on internet. But I'll tell you I wish we had moved than. ..still might...never know

Good luck
Maryann

Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info. We really do want some space. We're coming from a very secluded location now with NO ONE around us, so this will be a shock in a way.

I'll check out the area of Anderson County. May be just the ticket for us!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area